Thursday, March 24, 2022

Pretzel Boy

Not sure how the hell his neck got like this but he's been a mess since our trip. 
At first, we thought it was just from being twisted like a pretzel in the airplane, or maybe it was the lousy beds and pillows at the 2 hotels and he slept funny. Whatever it was it was killing him and making him cranky.

Upon our return, he has been in such pain. He called the chiropractor for an adjustment so he could move his head/neck. No one could get him in until Monday. So he waited 4 days. He went to this man who Rick tells me was his size. 
A big fella with pictures of himself and a chocolate labrador retriever on the wall. Rick bonded. 😊

He was adjusted and felt immediately better. He made an appointment to go back on Wednesday. Sometimes after being out and then being adjusted you can feel worse after the adjustment for 24 hrs. Rick and I expected that and he took Tylenol and that was that. But then Tuesday night he was not feeling so great again. We both were glad he was going back.

This time they had his X-rays to go over. He has a bone spur in his neck. Rick took a picture of the x-ray to show me. Apparently, that is the 'catch' Rick feels and hears sometimes when he moves his neck.  He was given some ice and then heat and adjusted. The doctor asked if he'd been in a car accident or some type of accident. Nope. He found it odd to see what he had on the x-ray and the person was not in an accident.
Either way, Rick is out of the excruciating pain and left with some pain. I am beginning to see that this is our life now. He will visit this big guy with the big hands in a couple weeks. They plan on making a plan for at-home care etc. I say he needs to see an orthopedic surgeon but he has to come to that on his own. I've known him long enough to know that I can't tell him he has to come to this on his own. He heard me out but he'll do it in his time. 

We are a hot mess here, aren't we? 
I had to begin my intake of calcium for all the steroids and to take vitamin D and B12 and Folic Acid to keep my hair in my head. I already take biotin for hair and nails so it won't hurt to add folic acid. Besides the doctor really encouraged me to take folic acid so I am. I do not want to lose my hair.  This 2nd drug is used in cancer treatment as well.  I am never going to get my eye back to 100%. I know that. This is irreversible. We are trying to keep me from being 100% blind. I know for sure that hair loss does not help me in this stressful situation. Know what I mean? I know it seems silly but it's me, it's who I am.

The amount of these pills is overwhelming. 
Day 1 - 7- 12 pills at once of prednisone (steroids.) in the a.m. with food
The cancer drug for my non-cancerous eye,  I have to take 10 pills every 7 days. This is what suppresses my immune system.
Along with all the vitamins and supplements and my normal thyroid pill.
I start with steroids and then on day 4 take the 10 pills. I was told to expect to be overwhelmingly tired the day after my first dose of those 10 pills. To adjust my schedule accordingly. I know I will have to keep this on a calendar or I'll screw this up. The 2nd week I take like 10 pills at once for a week and it goes like this for 3 months. Since this makes your bones a hot brittle mess I must take the calcium supplements. I had a bone density scan and I was in great shape and they were surprised how good for a woman my age. I think that will be out the window now don't you? They also made me have a syphilis test before I could start this medication. For some reason, I found that funny.  He asked if I had it and I laughed and said No. He said well we have to be sure. That was not a good response Dr. S.

I don't know what is coming. I fear it all a bit. I think the side effects are going to be awful. I surely hope the outcome is worth it all. 
Okay, I am sorry, enough of pitiful me b.s.
I will be fine. I will move forward and I will smile.

In happy news.
We have a 'mound' if you will on our property with the sign of our development and the previous owner planted shrubs on this mound. The sign looked like shit. 
It was faded and the paint was peeling. 
Rick sanded it on Tuesday and then we painted it. 
For all the detail on the sailboat, we used some old makeup brushes that were skinny and tiny. Worked like a charm. At first, Rick laughed when I suggested it but when I came back with them he saw they would be the perfect size we needed. 
Rick not using makeup brushes, he didn't understand my explanation so I just went inside to get them and sure enough, we knew this would work. We needed teeny tiny angle brushes for some areas, like the stripes on the boat sail.
We didn't need much paint at all. I got outdoor paint in sample sizes since that was all that was needed. It worked great. 
That paint freshened it up a great deal and next week we should have the mulch delivered to spread around it to set it all off. 

I walked to the mailbox at the end of the driveway and someone who lives in the development stopped and rolled down their window. She said she noticed the sign was painted and it looked good and thanked us. 
Sure, no problem I said, and off she drove with a wave of her hand.
Normally I wouldn't paint a random sign for the neighborhood but it's in my yard and it looked awful so it didn't help my curb appeal so we had to. 

Besides, in all honesty, it is gorgeous out right now and I want to be outside and not think about what I can't see and focus on what I can. The coffee table is one thing I can't see apparently. Depth perception is a bit off with only one eye. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. 😀 I'm also incredibly clumsy.

Last night I had a bowl of stir fry and we were going to eat in the living room. I know, I know that isn't right. But we do it from time to time. Anyway, I thought I had set the bowl on the table but my sight being what it is right now I missed the table just a bit. The entire bowl hit the table perfectly and landed upside down on the floor. 

I cleaned up the mess all over the carpet. Soy sauce on the carpet smells great let me tell you but the stain is worse. I treated the stains on the carpet and that was that. All out! 
I did not see that any food had gotten into my sneakers. 
I mean my sneakers were so far away. 
That is a great diet tip. Drop food on the floor and then you can't eat your dinner. 

This morning when I put on my sneakers and my foot stuck to broccoli, peppers, and a water chestnut it was so gross. I jumped out of my shoe wondering what the slimy hell was that?! I emptied my shoe into the garbage and threw the sneakers in the wash. Rick thought it was funny but he too couldn't figure out how the food could have possibly traveled that far away and into my one sneaker.  

I didn't tell him this was because of my eye. He thinks I'm clumsy naturally so I let it go. Eventually, I will have to tell him. 
Maybe he's already figured it out. 
I'm just not ready yet.

11 comments:

Cruisin Paul said...

I'm so happy that Rick is doing better. I never heard of a bone spur in the neck. I've got one in my foot and it really hurts. Peg, you just take good care of your man. Also take good care of yourself. How are you enjoying retirement?

Cruisin Paul

Bobi said...

It's good you can keep your sense of humor amidst your dueling health issues. I appreciate that you share your troubles and your optimism that things will improve. I need to keep reminding myself to stay positive so hearing your positivity helps me, sorry for all the problems but thanks for sharing. I love that you spruced up the neighborhood sign, we did the same for the WWII monument down the street, no one else seems to care so we try to maintain the area around it.

bluzdude said...

On the bright side, if you start losing your hair, you won't be able to see yourself very well.


Sorry, too soon?

Wishing you both all the best with your medical issues. Once one retires, going to the doctor is the new occupation.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul, well leave it to us to have something no one else does. :-)

Bobi, thx. I am trying really hard. I have cried and it doesn't do anything so I am trying the opposite.😁

bluzdude, no not too soon! Good one. Some of the stuff my hubby has been saying is far worse. Laughter is the best medicine right? Yes, I am so sick of this new friggin' occupation.

Abby said...

Bone spur in the neck sounds painful.
I fully understand your hair loss worry. Our hair makes or breaks us, that's just the way it is. I hope the pills do the trick and you have no more stir fry (or anything else) shoe surprises.

Mr. Shife said...

I had bone spurs in my ankle and it was a relief to get it finally diagnosed correctly and then fixed. I hope Rick continues to improve and feels better. Take care and hope you get some help with your hair.

Julie H said...

OH man that is a lot of meds. I really hope you only get a good outcome and no side effects.

I probably should get my neck checked out too. Sounds like what I have. It will get "stuck" for a nano second. Hurts like hell.

Barbara said...

That is a lot of pills. You might be so full just from the pills that you won't have to eatat all. LOL. Seriously, we do what we can to keep our bodies working. Mine is falling apart so fast and I can't afford to fix some of the problems - especially teeth. I need to make several appointments but just don't have the humph to get it done.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Let hope the pill overload does its job and by fall this will all be a bad memory.

Arkansas Patti said...

So sorry about Rick's pain in the neck. Bone spur does not sound fun. According to Dr. Google, you are doing everything right and hope he doesn't need surgery.
That is some load of pills. Those and filling our dance card with Dr. appointments seems our reward for the remaining idle years.
Nice job sprucing up the neighborhood.
Stir fry in the carpet sounded awful. That is why I don't have one carpet in my house. Pets with finicky stomachs taught me that. Stay safe and well.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby he is feeling fabulously perfect today. He began his exercises and fingers crossed he has some good maintenance.

Mr. Shife - Rick is doing great!

Julie - it does sound the same. He's had it for a long time but after the trip, he was really hurting. I think he slept funny or being bent like a pretzel aggravated it. But he is doing his exercises and he never does that stuff so I know he was hurting. :-)

Barbara, oh it is a lot. I need to make appointments but don't have the money, I have the humph. It's that damn green stuff. $$

Jean - your mouth to God's ears.

Patti - he is doing so good today. Best he's felt in a long time. yeah! I hate carpet. Never had it except in bedrooms so this is new to me. Next year it will be ALL gone. Can only afford to do a little at a time unfortunately and this house needs a lot.