Monday, March 7, 2022

Update

Thanks for the concern everyone. I am just fine.
It was what we refer to as Peg's Birthday Week. 
I just did whatever it was I wanted to do and most things were outside of my home so no blogging.

We planted some of our veggies in our garden this week.
The rest need to wait until later in the month or next month.
Flowers are blooming and it is spring here. 
Yesterday was 82 and today is 84. 
Too hot for me this early but it will be getting cooler again thank goodness. Tomorrow will be rain which will be great for the new plantings. 
It will also be cooler like 64 tomorrow, with normal temps for spring.

Rick is doing well. It was not his medication or thyroid, it was the pesticides on the fruit. He is speaking like a human again. 

Friday was my birthday and he told me we were going out to eat and don't worry I checked if there was actual food you can eat there and there is. I laughed at that because I know how he hates to do that research or heaven forbid call and ask them. 

I have wanted to go to the Raleigh farmers market since moving here. Everyone says you will need 2 hours minimum to see it all. Not only the farmers of food but plants, flowers, restaurants, etc. 
So on Friday, we did just that. 

We began our day at a Cupcake Shoppe he found that has gluten-free cupcakes. We each had a cup of coffee and a cupcake sitting outside on a perfect 63-degree day. The powers that be ordered a perfect day for my birthday as far as weather.

Here he is making a face at me while we enjoyed our afternoon treat on a beautiful day. He had a regular cupcake and moaned about how good it was. Mine was good too but not moan-worthy. 



The farmers market wasn't full and won't be until April 1st we learned. 
We met this farmer whose veggies were amazing looking and his plantings as well of herbs. He explained the market to us and to come back on the 1st when it's full so I plan on it! Everyone was so nice. The woman where we bought some starter plants of veggies insisted we get a bok choy planting. We kept saying no. So she threw one in. That made us laugh, apparently she wants to be rid of bok choy. She was funny, she was an older woman who flirted with my husband big time. He always flirts back and when I was walking away she told me to bring that big man back anytime. Oh, brother! 
Can you see me roll my eyes when I typed that? 

Then we headed to a place we like in North Raleigh. 
We parked and as we were walking to the location I asked where we were going for dinner. He said, "I think it's nearby so don't worry we won't be late." 
I asked again, "why won't you tell me?" 
He said, "Don't worry I'm sure we're close." 
Okay, I give up.  
So we belly up to the bar and I have a great chilled Tanqueray straight up with a couple of olives. I haven't had one in over a year. It was perfection!


But first, our bartender spilled the entire drink on me. 
She was so upset and kept apologizing. I saw her trip, it was an accident. But then when she went to make me another I said to Rick, you know when I was a bartender/waitress if I spilled something the next one was on me/the house, so maybe we won't have to pay or not pay full price.  
Rick said that doesn't happen anymore and sure enough it did not. 

We had a nice time just chatting with people and laughing but it made me a bit uneasy not wearing a mask for the first time in 2 yrs. 
Very uncomfortable.

We had time until our reservation so we were going to walk around this shopping area. (masks back on)  I asked one more time where we were going for dinner and how much time did we have? He said I think it's close to here but I haven't checked my directions yet. I asked if he'd please just tell me the name and he told me. I thought that place was just 2 doors down from where we were. So of course I said, "Firebirds as in right there?" as I point to it. 
He laughed so hard he made people turn around and look at him. 
Then the smart ass says, "I told you we were close" 
"You ass, you mean you didn't really know it was here? "
"Nope. I thought it was close but wasn't sure."
OMG
I asked him when I get as old as you will I be this dumb?
He reminded me we are the same age as of that day. 
Shit! I don't want that to be my future.
Some days I swear this poor man is clueless to his surroundings.

Because he thought we had all this time to drive there etc we were going to be early. But aside from the cupcake, I hadn't eaten all day so I could eat early. We went to the restaurant and told them we were in the area (HA HA) and instead of waiting for our reservation time can we just go into the bar to have a drink and eat? That thrilled the person at the front desk because they were short-staffed for a few more hours he explained and that would help them a great deal.

So we went to the bar. A man next to us at another table heard Rick say something about my birthday and he bought me a drink. How damn nice. 
He asked where we were from. Is there a sign above us? 
He said I had an accent. I laughed and said really? Hmm.....
We chatted and laughed and looked over the menu.
We just ate at the table in the bar and that was perfect. Our waiter was so damn good-looking. He was all of 20 and this was his side hustle while in college. Good waiter as well. 

Here is tipsy Rick. I do not remember what I said but he found it funny. 


The steroid eye drops have made me swell a great deal. I feel awful. I feel it in my face, neck, and abdomen. I stopped today, I just can't take them anymore. I leave for my hometown for my stepmom's 80th. I need to wear real clothes. Right now I am so swollen everything is tight. I hate steroids for this very reason.

I wrote above my "stepmom's" 80th. I saw a neighbor who asked me about something going on around these parts. I said I would not be home I was going to my mom's 80th birthday party. She just stared at me.  After a minute I realized she was doing the math. Then I said, "my stepmom" then she said, Oh I wondered. No shit, it was all over your face. 
Why not just ask me? That isn't rude. You could say, 'Your mom is only 80?' Then I would have remembered to explain.  I forget that I need to say stepmom so I don't confuse people. But she's been my mom for 52 years, she is my mom.

Tomorrow I return to the eye clinic. So I don't have any posts in the timeline so there may not be one tomorrow. 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for indulging those of us who worry. Why no, no I do not have a life, why would one ask?
Am glad you are both mostly ok and that you had such delightful birthday week adventures.
I've been down that steroid path, not a journey I'd wish on anyone. Do take care!
timberdawn

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Anonymous, I have done the same to many. In fact a few months ago I wrote to someone and never heard back. Another I think passed away, she was sick but they didn't know with what, and then poof gone. I wrote to her email and got nothing back. Not like her so I fear the worst. I wish they'd take down her blog then but then she told us her husband never knew how the blog world worked. Which I found funny.So please never apologize. We're all in a community and when one doesn't show up one worries. So I appreciate it. Never apologize for looking out for someone. If you need to get a life, then so do I. 😊 I didn't plan on taking the time off but I decided it was my birthday week and damn it now that this is my first bday not working, lets have some low cost fun. :-)

Bobi said...

Happy Belated Birthday! You were missed.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thanks Bobi, it was a great fun day and week.

Mike said...

I can't believe you didn't get a free drink.

I can't believe (are you sensing a pattern?) biting into one orange a night could affect Rick like that. It's not like he eats the skin.

Julie H said...

There you are! I was getting worried about you! Happy Birthday! That's shitty you didn't get a free drink. I thought the south had more hospitality ;)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, me neither! (drink) As for the orange, yes it is weird. Apparently not to the 2 doctors he saw but to us it is weird as hell.

Arkansas Patti said...

Happy Birthday lady. You really know how to stretch out one day into a week. Well done.
Weird about Rick and pesticides. Peal with a knife from now on big guy.
That was funny about the restaurant being right there. He knew he was close.
Enjoy your "Mom's" birthday party. I had a "Mom" like that who came into my life after my mother died when I was a teen and was there for me for the next 60 years. That qualifies the title.

Abby said...

Thanks for the update. Clearly, I'm not the only one who worries when a regular blogger like yourself doesn't update! And looks like doctor Peg was right on Mush Mouth.
Happy belated birthday!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had a good day. Going without a mask in public feels weird doesn't it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, thanks. You get the mom thing. People have asked me why I dont always refer to her as step mom. I only do in stories, to me she has been a mom. So she's mom to me. BTW, my birthday is my fave holiday.😁

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, thx!

Jean, thank you! And yes it still makes me uncomfortable. Aside from restaurants I still wear one

Barbara said...

What a year it has been for you. I thought things would ease up after the move but it has still been one thing after another. It took me about two years to settle in to retirement and really more to wake up every morning and be glad nobody was expecting anything from you. I can just hear the stories you'll be telling the family about your new southern life. It will be a scream I'm sure.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I love both those photos of Rick!!! Especially the first one, lol. Have a great time at your Mom's birthday, and may all that swelling stuff go away. It's a real double edged sword with steroids.