Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Does Positive Thinking Work?

I'm not lost. But, I am struggling a bit.
I was told things that would happen while on these meds. I refuse to believe all of this will happen so I am plugging on. I am stubborn like that. I don't want to think that just because he said them I will have them. Mind over matter was my thoughts going into this. I am going to push forward. If I tell myself this will happen, it will happen. So I am going to go in the other direction. Foolish? Maybe but I had to try the positive route. Trying to see the humor and trying to fool my brain I guess.

After 10 cancer pills were taken at once on Sunday, the doc told me I'd be fatigued and not feel well on Monday. Poo-poo I said I'll be fine. I awoke Monday around 3am so damn nauseated I couldn't stand it.  I really wanted to vomit so I'd feel better. But no that would be too easy. My mouth was full of salvia and I felt like crap. 

I took had a CBD gummy. After what seemed like an eternity it kicked in and nausea went away. Yipee. By 6am I was ready to sleep. But instead, Rick got up and I never went back to bed. I got showered and decided I felt pretty darn good so I began making the sauce for Mongolian beef for dinner. He kept saying shouldn't you take it easy today?  I told him just because he said I may get this side effect doesn't mean I will. I feel okay right now. Positive Thinking Rick. 

I knew if I started to feel bad at least this was made and Rick could construct the dinner himself.  I did all that, cleaned up the kitchen, did a load of laundry, and folded clothes. Thought about blogging but I was feeling very tired. I felt like I was going to fall asleep standing up. It came over me like a big fat wave. Nope, I am not doing this just because it's a side effect.  But by 1pm I was feeling like I'd been hit by a truck, flu-like, just all-around icky.  The professional medical term, "icky" of course.

I sat on the sofa and that's all she wrote. I slept for several hours. Rick was in the garage/shop and he'd come in and check on me he said to see if I needed anything and each time I was still asleep and he thought that was best. I slept until 5:30pm. Rick was in the kitchen trying to figure out what I told him to do for dinner but around 6p I finished up the dinner. We both ate and I felt okay just really tired. Rick did all the clean-up and dishes. He does a lot of work around here but seldom cleans up the kitchen and dishes, so thank God for being sick I guess. 😊

So it was a weird day. Today I feel okay just huge. The steroids make me feel so fat and full all the time. My jeans are tight and I am eating barely anything. The steroids make me hungry as hell. The worst munchies you could ever have. But I am determined to not eat. I drink so much water my urine is now clear. I drink so much water to starve off hunger when I know I shouldn't be hungry it's just the steroids. So I drink more water. All I do is pee but I feel so damn shitty that I can't eat. Today I must get dressed to go to an appointment. I pray something will fit me and allow me to be comfortable. Now the fact that he said not to be around a lot of people due to my newly suppressed immune system upset me, but feeling and looking like I do I am okay to not be seen!
But a plus....hair is still in place.
(look at me talking about hair and not mentioning Will Smith or Chris Rock)

I have brown spots on my face. My mom's side of the family had these and they never ever went in the sun and if so wore hats. 
So I do think a lot of this is hereditary as well as we all know hormonal.
I am getting more by the day I swear. I have wanted them removed for years. I hate that I have to apply concealer and wear foundation to hide them. I got medication from my dermatologist that did absolutely nothing at all but drain my wallet. The only suggestion has been to have a laser done on my face. 
I had this appointment for a consultation to find out how this is done, what options could be done if there were others, and the cost. But now I can not be in the sun due to the medications causing me to burn badly. So laser on my face would be out of the question. But I am still going to the dermatologist today to get the info. It's a free consultation. I will discuss where I am at in my medical protocol and if I move forward with them then this will be done AFTER the medication so I don't burn off my face. It's also good for me to get out of the house even if it means the doctor's office and feeling like a sausage in my clothing.

Here is what I have found so far. 
During the first 3 days of steroids (that was 36 pills at this point taken/12 per day), I felt fabulous. My eye stopped hurting as did my joints. I mean to tell you I felt great. But by day 4 the crappy feeling began. Ah, only something like 84 more days.

So I can't say I'll be here every day although I'll do my very best. I really want to focus on a routine and push myself as much as I can and rest when I can. 

Last night Rick and I went for a short walk after dinner. I asked to try, not a mile, but a short one. I needed to be outside and the sun was lower so off we went. It was short but good. A few people waved to us as we walked by. An older gentleman that lives about 5 houses away saw Rick. 
Apparently, he saw Rick and Izzy every night and they chatted a few minutes each time. I did not know this man, I'd see him wave and just assumed he was friendly. He waved to Rick and I and asked where the pretty dog was. Rick had to tell him she passed. The man was so upset it startled us. He came to the end of his driveway to say he was sorry and said, "she was such a sweet girl. I thought maybe you guys were out of town."  
Rick told him he was now walking 'this sweet girl' now after dinner and introduced me. The man laughed.
I am always so amazed at the people that were affected by our Ms. Izzy.

An old neighbor in VA who takes her dog to doggie daycare where Izzy went told the owners that Izzy passed. They have known her from the time she was spayed. They got our address from the neighbor and they sent us the most lovely wind chimes with a heart engraved attached to them with a very moving remembrance. That was so damn nice of them. 
We hate wind chimes so it made us laugh because these weren't cheap wind chimes but what do we do? So we put them on the porch on the side of the house. We don't hear them as much. We felt guilty that they made such a lovely gesture and we hated it so we had to try. They still can be heard and it's not our favorite sound but we have guilt. 
Which is pretty damn funny to me. 


16 comments:

Abby said...

I've been wondering how you were doing with the new meds. Sounds rough, but I'm glad you're able to cook, go for walks, etc. within reason. Hopefully the eye and joints still feel pretty good?

I also hate windchimes :), but yes. A nice gesture from doggie daycare

Julie H said...

I hate windchimes too! I hung one up once on my house and it drove me nuts, came down the same day lol

80 something more days, ugh. I hope this shit works for you! Die Betty Die!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, I think the worse is yet to come. It's only been less than a week. I may need to go buy awnings to wear. Geez I am bloating up.
Yes, my joints and eye do feel better. Or it's the fact that everything else feels like shit so I forgot about them. There is always that. LOL.
I am happy to know that someone else hates wind chimes. I thought I'd get a lot of slack about that one. You give me hope Abby. tee hee

Julie, that made me laugh out loud and startle the shit out of Rick. Did Betty Die! ah that was good. It's exactly how I feel. I love that you too hate wind chimes. I had never met anyone else who did not like windchimes but now 2 of you. I was always made me to feel like I was somehow flawed because they grated on my last nerve and others thought they were so pretty. They never sounded pretty to me, just annoying.

Jamie Ghione said...

Agree about wind chimes. They can get annoying. Once I heard my neighbor's wind chimes and though it was phone ringing! I I did the same things with leaves rustling outside in the driveway. This is learned form m psychiatrist at the time, is known as "ringxiety." He said he does it, too! Are you familiar with this?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jamie, no I am not but I am going to google it shortly. I also don't like the sound of birds chirping. I do not find that beautiful. I'm sure there is a special place in hell for me. I don't like what others find wonderful. Now a waterfall or water lapping on the shore would bother some and that is my happy sound.

Anonymous said...

Muumuus! So useful. See Maya Rudolph at the Oscars. Please listen to your body when it needs to stop. Olivia, longish-lurker-reader.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olivia, hello. Yes I even commented to Rick that is what a normal person wears after a 2 yr pandemic to an event. My yoga pants are snug around my middle. In one week. Muumuus Or a big ole tarp. 😀 thx for commenting!!

Anonymous said...

I acquired what I referred to as pee skirts when I was on massive doses of Prednisone. Doc told me to expect to puff up like a big fat toad. Thanks doc, just what any gal wants to hear. Anywho, because of the steroids I was also on strong diuretics. I live aways out in the boonies and frequently needed to stop by the side of the road. Fun times, made more bearable with skirts. Think: wagon trains. Muumuus would definitely fit the bill.
And yes, I kept some of my Prednisone wardrobe because my condition could be reoccurring, and when one is already miserable one does not need the added aggravation of shopping. I hate shopping, I hate wind chimes. I might just be perfecting my role as cranky ole b*+/#. " Step away from the old woman. . ."

Arkansas Patti said...

I can't imagine taking that many pills at once. Lordy. I am so sorry you are blowing up and hope some of the above suggestions help. Just go for comfort girl.
Sure hope there is a leveling off period coming but even more so, like Julie, hope Betty's days are numbered.

bluzdude said...

Add me to the list of those who hate wind chimes. Sweetpea does not agree; she has small chimes hung all about the house. (At least they don't ring inside, except when I walk into them.) So, a story.

Last summer when Sweetpea and I were visiting my folks, she complimented my Dad on their wind chimes. Couple of days after we got home, what shows up in the mail? A set of large wind chimes, just like theirs. Gah!

It took a while to find a place for them. I selected a spot out in the back corner of our yard. I had to keep them as far from the bedroom as possible because the last thing I want to hear in an overnight rainstorm is those chimes gonging away while I'm trying to sleep.

Cut to September, after my father passed. My boss tells me to expect a package in the mail. It arrived and you guessed it, more freakin' wind chimes. Apparently that's a thing when someone dies.

I'm actually lucky I was working from home and she had to mail them, because if I would have had to open them in front of her, I'm not a good enough actor to mask the outrage and anxiety I felt. I know she meant well, but Christ, enough with the GD chimes!

Here's to hoping you feel better soo, Peg.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I love wind chimes and it was a lovely gesture. You could always hang it inside the garage where it doesn't get any wind, then it becomes a mobile.

The first few days on steroids always feel so good, I've taken to deep cleaning whenever I been on them. Your pill schedule sounds grueling. Just got to keep your eyes on the prize and soldier through.

Cruisin Paul said...

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with all this sickness Peg. There's not much I can say expect I'll keep thinking about you.

About Izzy, she was your dog and always showed how much love had for Izzy. I think many of us who had dogs were loving Izzy also. When you lost Izzy, at the same time we lost Izzy also. I think that's why there were so many people who were affected with your lost of Izzy.


Cruisin Paul

Barbara said...

You could hang the windchimes over the vegetable garden to keep the birds, etc. away. I hate you are going through this. I think that thinking positive does work to a certain extent. I know I am one to get side effects from most drugs. I don't know why. Compromised immune system, maybe?

Sandra said...

I am so sorry you are going through this. Although we have never met, I will hold positive thoughts for you, check up on you regularly through this blog, and think of you as a dear friend.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Anonymous, a pee-pee skirt. Too funny. Good call keeping the clothes because my yoga pants are tight. That is all kinds of wrong. I don't want to buy fat clothes!! Wa Wa.

Patti, I'm going to win this war. Betty is the loser!

Bluzdude, I did not know this was a custom for when someone passes on to give wind chimes. If I die, do not send wind chimes to Rick. He will hunt you down and shove those where the sun don't shine. :-) I'll feel better when my 90 days of this is over.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, ah, so you're the one. HA HA. Because Rick works in the garage he likes a door open so that wouldn't work for him. He'd probably shot them. :-)

Paul, ah, only 82 more days of this shit. :-)
Thx for the kind words of Izzy girl.

Barbara, that is such a great idea. And the garden is far away from our bedroom and patio so it won't drive us crazy. You're a genius. I can't wait to share this idea with Rick! I have two autoimmune disease so a compromised immune system could be why we get these damn side effects. I refused to read the full list because I did not want to know. If it happens I'll deal with it. Most he told me anyway.

Sanda, what a kind comment! Thank you so much. I am going to be fine. I am going to get better every week. Thanks for coming by and even more for checking up on me!!