Thursday, March 10, 2022

Heavy

It's all so heavy. I try to keep the war off the blog but it's difficult at times.
I am now trying to limit my info coming into my head. I mean if republicans can pretend there is no climate change and that we aren't all equal then I can try to avoid a war for now.
That's my issue - for now. 
We all know but don't wish to admit this is the beginning of WWIII. 
Hey, read your Nostradamus. ha.

I do wish when Putin and trumpy were together someone would have dropped a missile and done away with both the evil bastards. They are exactly the same, only I think the Donald may be a bit more stupid. 

Anyhoo, this war got Rick & me talking the other night during our evening games. 
Rick: You know how all these dumb asses felt they would not have the government tell them they had to wear a mask to help the global pandemic? Or to be vaxxed? Well, can you imagine if there was a draft with these entitlement whiners? You can't tell me I have to fight for my country. You can't make me go anywhere, I'll sue your ass. 

I laughed and told him I do understand and I can sadly see that come to fruition. Pathetic isn't it? I, too, would not wish to go but it made me laugh. I remember the draft lottery of being sent to Vietnam, I remember knowing a few who went to Canada. The last lottery before the end of the war I was still in high school and my boyfriend and I nervously watched the numbers being called on TV because it was his turn. But thankfully his number was not called. Shortly thereafter the war ended thank God. 
But when it's a world war, there is nowhere to run, is there? 
Made us have some interesting conversations over me kicking his ass in backgammon. 😀

We have the strangest conversations while playing cards or backgammon. Since retiring we need to do something more than TV and/or work (clean etc) We are now back to walking. It was weird at first without the dog. But after dinner, we are back to taking a long walk since it's lighter out. Get our tushies moving. I need to drive it to see how far we are walking, we assumed it was only 1 mile RT. Not much - yet.
It's funny how much faster one can walk without your dog sniffing every blade of grass or mailbox post.  I do wish they had sidewalks here. Very weird. 
So weird in fact on the local news they had a big story about a new development and it WILL HAVE SIDEWALKS.  So if they are excited by this, why are there none? 

To avoid news I have followed 2 people who make me smile and are nice diversions in my life.

I follow them on Tiktok. One is a young woman who came to America from New Zealand and I think she is living in Austin Tx. She is there for a job.  Her short video posts are telling you what she finds weird in America. One I saw was about shopping for clothes. She states in such a surprised voice, "What it says on your clothing tag is not really what it costs you." 
Then she goes on to explain that there are added taxes. She told a story about her buying this cute little dress and it was almost $10 more with the tax when she got to the cashier.
"Imagine my shock. They don't have the full price on the tag, she explains, so it's a guessing game when you check out," she says.
She was so exasperated I found it funny. But looking at it through her eyes, you know she's right and you can certainly see her point.  She has several of these and in each one I could see her point and that made me laugh. She was always spot on and in all honesty that is how I feel living in the south. Sometimes Rick or I will say, Are we still in the U.S.?  But that's another day and another blog.

Then there is a young couple. She is American and He is from Italy.  
He moved to America for her. In one video post, she took him to Olive Garden.  
That was funny. His facial expressions are so sincere and confusing. 
Now you know if you were in Italy and they had an expression like Raining Cats and Dogs that you wouldn't understand it either. He kept saying, "but I don't see any dogs or cats why you say that my love?" Yes, he is in the car looking outside the windows so sincerely. He thinks she is crazy and that makes her laugh. The more she laughs the more he is so confused. It's cute and brings me joy instead of children and women having to leave their loved ones, their country, and the tears. 
I needed the light so I was amused by these two different young people. 
We all have to do what we have to do. 

It reminds me of when Midge on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is about to go on stage, or she's nervous, or any of her tough life situations, she will stomp her foot, put her shoulds back, head up, she puts one foot in front of the other, and she plows through the fear. But before she walks through the scary unknown she takes a deep breath and says, "Tits Up" and walks through. 
That is how I'm feeling, forcing myself to walk through these days.
Tits Up Girls!


12 comments:

Mike said...

I joined the Army reserves before there was a lottery or before I could be drafted.

Ami said...

I was SHOCKED that I agreed with that buttweasel Lindsey Graham. He said that someone needs to take Putin out. I think he's right.

I will always regret that covid didn't do the job on effin' Mango Mussolini, too.

No one would miss them.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike when you join the reserves can't you still be called on to go? If not that was friggin smart and why didn't more do that?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, funny you say that because my husband said, oh my God it must be a cold day in hell. When I asked what the hell he was talking about he told me about Lindsey Graham's comment.

Arkansas Patti said...

My husband put his draft letter in his back pocket and joined the reserves that day but that was peace time. My cousin who was in his 40's and in the reserves for years was called up for Desert Storm. So I guess it depends on what is happening.
I too wondered how the antivaxers would respond to a war.
I need some relief like you found. May have out check out tiktok.

Susan Kane said...

I think I will look at this another time. Reading a blog that is primarily political disturbs me. I already know too much, so I don't want to read more.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, We also have a date this evening to watch a stand up comedian who we both really like who has a new special. Just not news.

Susan, okay then. It was only 2 paragraphs but I get it. Not primarily but I understand your take on this.

Abby said...

Heavy times, these are. We all need our diversions. I know people here who keep saying how glorious it will be when COVID is "over", but you and I know there is more sh*t always waiting to hit. I try to be grateful for all the good things I have.
When I was in HS, we took a trip to Oregon where there was no state tax. Things actually cost what the price tag said - so weird!
You can map out and measure routes over at google maps pedometer:
https://www.mappedometer.com/

Mike said...

Back then EVERYONE was trying to get in the reserves. They were basically full. I lucked out and applied at the right time plus I knew a few guys in the unit. I don't know if that helped but I like to think it did.
Back then they didn't call up the reserves because they had the draft to get the bodies they needed. The reserves were just that. Held in reserve in case something really big happened. But then years later the draft ended. No more free bodies. Hey, call up the reserves! Now if you're in the reserves you can go on 2, 3, or 4 deployments. It sort of cancels the meaning of the reserves.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

The anti-vaxxers are such big babies I can't imagine them showing up for a draft either.

As for writing about the war in Ukraine it truly is the elephant in the room in the blog community. But it's gone on long enough that it's starting to show up here and there and rightly so.

Julie H said...

With a 19 year old son I'm praying that won't happen. Heck they are kicking people out left and right for not being vaxxed or trans. Why would they just want anyone lol.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Sometimes I feel guilty that we've not experienced war (other than the Revolutionary one of course) here. I feel so bad for the innocents in both countries. I know I should not, but I wish that Putin would have a massive heart attack and die. Even better, have him transported (see how that science fiction could be so handy) to a building they bombed right before it happened.
Mostly I just don't watch news often. One of our parishioners brought his Mom to the U.S. from Ukraine (we have quite a few Ukrainians in our church). Although he feels better, he said she did not want to come. Sadly, the way things are going, she may never go back.