Friday, February 4, 2022

Explanation

For all the questions from my last post.

I know I've used this term many many times with an explanation. But it seems a lot of you asked so here is the answer.  Hope this explains it. If not ask away. From wikipedia...


The National Capital Region portion of the Washington Metropolitan Area is also colloquially known by the acronym "DMV" which stands for the "District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia."


Now this is very southern Maryland, Northern VA and DC. It's all the DC Metro area or known as the dmv locally.

Hope that helps.

11 comments:

Linda said...

That makes it much clearer. Happy Friday!

Mike said...

I thought Virginia took their half of DC back.

Olga said...

You had just posted about a trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles so maybe that accounts for some of the confusion although the context clearly referenced a geographical location, which I figured must have been the D.C. area since she was looking at your license.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike that is the history but it's still called the dmv. The Pentagon is still in VA. The land has nothing to do with this.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, you're a smart one missy😁

Mary said...

Yes indeed thanks

Cruisin Paul said...

It doesn't matter where you live Peg, I will always like you, How's Rick & Izzy doing lately?


Cruisin Paul

Abby said...

From the context in your post, I figured it was something other than department of motor vehicles, so googled and learned this. Didn't seem like you and banker babe would be bonding over motor vehicle registration and licensing memories!

Arkansas Patti said...

Thanks. I was part way there. I figured Maryland and Virginia--forgot about DC.

Sheila said...

Is that a new terminology? I told my husband he grew up in the DMV (Suitland, MD), and he had never heard of that term. It's like people calling the Pacific Crest Trail the PCT, which is something we Pacific Northwest natives never did. Everything is an acronym now, I guess.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Sheila, I lived there 1 mo. shy of 22 yrs. I heard it since day 1. The other day on The Today Show there was the owner of The Washington Football team along with a few former players to tell everyone their new name. They all used the term The DMV over and over again. So I can't tell you when it started, it was used on the local news as I said from the first day I lived there. My neighbors, everyone I knew. I just assumed it was always used.