Monday, February 14, 2022

Rant

I have a rant - you've been warned.

There is a plus-size (God I hate that phrase) model who shows the skinny size 0 model wearing XYZ on the left and then she wears it on the right. She thinks she is showcasing that at her size you can wear everything they do no matter your size. For the most part she does that exactly. She is also protesting clothing not being made above a size 12. I get that and applaud that. Everyone should be able to buy clothes no matter their size. Not just cheap Lane Bryant clothing but really very nice clothing and designer clothing. That normally doesn't go above a size 8. 

I could never wear some of the things she will wear when showing she is the same as that twig model.  I think it's great that she thinks a half-shirt looks nice and she's not self-conscious. Good for people who can do that. 
I can't. I am nowhere near her size but even when I was 110lbs I would never. So I have my own issues. LOL.
She is correct in all of this.

Then she posted something about the new Renee Zellwegger movie. 
It's a true story called 'The Thing About Pam.' 
After Renee's last Bridget Jones movie, Renee swore she was not gaining and losing the weight again, it was too hard on her body as she has gotten older. This woman, Pam, in real life was quite heavy so they used a fat suit and padded her face and body. 

Well, apparently the plus-size people are all up in arms. 
One actually wrote that this is the equivalent of white people using black face. Oh for the love of God, not even close!!   
You're fat, it's not the same. Everyone was bitching that they should only use fat actresses. Seriously? Isn't it called acting? The person who played the elephant man did not have that disease, he was ACTING. Tom Hanks was not a real pilot when he played Sully on the Hudson. Julie Roberts did not have boobs big enough when playing Erin Brockovich so they padded the hell out of her she said.  Maybe I should have played Erin, I could fill out that bra. 

I am exhausted by the PC community sometimes. Honestly, are there more than 3 fat actresses? The young woman on This is Us, Kirstie I am Scientology hear me roar Alley and Melissa McCarthy. So there is that fact. Out of those 3, only Melissa is any good in my opinion. 

But honestly, I just began watching Inventing Anna on Netflix, another true story. The woman was Russian. The actress is not Russian, she is also on the TV show Ozark. They didn't get up in arms because she wasn't Russian. What is with this fat society? Apparently, I am the minority and the other thousand or so thought this was a HUGE deal and they would be protesting the movie. Oh yeah, that will hurt them. 

I also understand seeing representation. When my nieces were little I loved that they saw people who looked like them on Disney and movies. It meant a lot to them too because they were raised by white Grandparents. We made a point of doing all of that. Representation is very important. But in a movie, if it calls for someone to be obese, I think it's just perfectly fine to use an actress they think is excellent and pad her if necessary.

With this logic of theirs no man should try out for Chippendales unless you are a real dancer - Six pack be damned, you must really be a dancer. You are taking a job away from a real dancer. I know it's not fair because there are fat men and no one says a thing to John Goodman but he also isn't given roles that go to Hugh Jackman either.
When Halle Berry was a Bond girl the script did not say, give me a black girl to come out of the water in an orange bikini. No, she auditioned for the part and just got it.
The commentators kept saying, there are a lot of fat actresses who can't get work. Okay, I get that and I understand that. Not a big call for a big actress, but where are they? Did they audition? Did their agent even get a script for them? Did they suck so they went with a good actress who happened to be skinny?

I get this to a point but overall it annoys me and makes me ticked off. 
It's called Acting!!   

In the meantime let me get my fat ass into my size 12 jeans. 
Yep, that makes me plus size. All such a waste of energy doesn't it?

13 comments:

Julie H said...

I think that is kind of the point in that they aren't even auditioning bigger girls so we don't even know they exist. I get what you are saying though and everyone is always getting their feelings hurt about something. It is interesting how the new generations feel about things.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, how do we know a fat actress didn't audition? Being a big gal my whole life there are far bigger issues to me. Like finding nice clothes. To not be relegated to the 2nd floor of Macys by the bathroom in a corner. Oh that's real. I live this. But this is just silliness to me

Cop Car said...

I remember when a woman would not even be considered for an action double. All rough-and-tumble action went to some dude dressed in drag. I have nothing against drag Queens, but I was happy when the insistent uproar from the viewing public got the attention of whoever it was who picks action doubles. We can't matchy-match down to our cellular structure, but there seems to be more effort put into at least trying.

I was pleased with the latest Lands' End catalog that goes all out in using women who are even larger than am I, these days.

Do we need to go back to the days when Elizabeth Taylor had to put on (I'm trying to remember?) 40 pounds for her role as Martha in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf"? Ms Taylor was a classy woman. Perhaps he put on the weight for authenticity. But...I hate to think that we make someone gain weight rather than fitting them with a fat suit.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

A size 12 is no where near where I'd label someone a plus size. I haven't worn a size 12 since the '70s. I have no idea who the model is you're writing about and I don't care in the least if an actress wears a fat suit to get a part. I do like that stores now no longer have queen or plus size departments, that all the clothing sizes from 0 to 30 are in one displace of like clothing. I do however, think the model you a ranting against is wrong when she says all sizes can wear the same fashions. Sure, in theory that might be true but we don't all look equally as good in the same fashion. I've seen some younger plus size girls ((sizes above 18) try it and they look ridiculous in leggings and mini shirts and halter tops.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Cop Car - agreed. I am a plus-size gal.
Size 12 on the bottom and 16 on top. And depending on the people who make the clothes it could be a bigger number. So I get all this.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, when I was very ill I gained a shit ton of weight. I was a size 18/20. I was treated differently and when in a store I was ignored and not helped. When the weight came off me it was a world of difference. That did not make me feel better to be helped, it made it worse if you can understand that. That is something to complain about,not actresses.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean I tried to copy some of her photos so you could see but they are protected. Her name is Katie Sturino. Her posts are on instagram.

Arkansas Patti said...

I saw some clips of Renee in that movie and truthfully thought she had gained the weight for the role. She looked just like the woman she was portraying. Excellent job with make up and she has the acting chops to pull it off.
As for your rant, I do not agree with that model either that every one of any size can wear the same styles and look good. A crop top on someone with a belly is not a good look.

Mike said...

"In the meantime let me get my fat ass into my size 12 jeans."
PICTURES!

"I tried to copy some of her photos"
Snip and Sketch copies anything from the screen.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/snip-sketch/9mz95kl8mr0l#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

bluzdude said...

I totally agree about letting the actors act, so much so that I'd been planning to write about it one day, but now I don't have to. I'll just reference your post.
I think it's good to have a diverse cast but creating requirements like these is ridiculous. Acting is designed for people to pretend to be something they're not. That's the point. (OK, and to entertain.) Where do you draw the line?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, she has made them so they can't be copied. Can I still do this?

bluzdude. agree 100%!

Mike said...

Yes, if it's on your screen, snip-sketch will copy it. What were you trying to copy? I'll go there, copy it, and send it to you. Email me if necessary.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I agree with your rant, and I am sick of it too. It doesn't stop there, that's really just one example. The one area I would support is the portrayal of native peoples when the movie is regarding their culture (historical). Graham Greene comes to mind, he is awesome in whatever he does.