For all of your that have been reading me for a while you know about 'Betty' in/on my eye. I have that looked at 2x a year to be sure it isn't getting bigger.
I went to the eye dr just before leaving VA.
Friday we went to Costco and I bought new glasses. The man in Costco was so nice and didn't follow me around the optical dept as they did the last store I was in. They were having a sale for the 2nd pair. Since I was bringing in 2 prescriptions I was happy about the 2nd pair being so much less money.
I got one pair that are progressive. The 2nd pair is just for close-up computer work. Now, Hip Optical and Warby Parker online were going to still cost me around $600. So going to Costco was my last hope for a reasonable cost or so I hoped.
I ended up with 2 pairs of glasses with a few extras for the lens and it cost $289 total for everything. That was $200 less than 1 pair most places so I was happy. I will no longer have to wear my Walgreens readers. I lost my other glasses, okay not lost, sat on. I can't wear them so I haven't in 2 yrs.
So yea to new glasses and a big yea to keeping Rick from spending any more money. The key, this Costco had optical in the front, not the back like our old one did. He didn't get a chance to walk through the store.
He didn't dare...lol
I called my former mother-in-law yesterday for her 89th birthday.
I just love this woman. I know I say it all the time.
Since her stroke and fall, she is a very different woman. She repeats a lot and told me that Chris lived there. Chris is her son and I knew that he lived there of course. Chris's wife Gina and I talk all the time.
But I went along like this as if it were news to me.
As always she ends with telling me I am her favorite daughter-in-law even though I am no longer her daughter-in-law. She generally will cry and tell me how much she loves me and how special I am to her. Vice Versa as well for me. I just adore this woman to pieces. I met her at 17. My mom died at age 13 almost 14. She was my savior.
Betty was in my life because her son was my high school boyfriend and then my husband. She always wanted a daughter and I craved a mom.
We were able to check it off the list with one another. I wish I could see her more. It's been 2 years I think since I was up there. I know I probably won't get back to Vermont until she passes and isn't that a lousy time to go? Her son (my ex) died and his birthday would be today. So when speaking with her I wasn't terribly surprised when she said that since he passed her birthday sucks now. I guess if your birthday is the 19th and your son's is the 20th and he's not there to celebrate that makes his death pretty much in her face each year. But she said I always have your funny card and a phone call to look forward to. Ah, but this year no card I told her because of the move, retirement, and I suck. I just forgot and viola it's the 19th already. She thankfully just laughed. I told her I was having a difficult time remembering what day it is. She laughed and told me that she and Ron never could remember when to take out the garbage after retirement. So we had a good laugh that we both did that same thing. All in all a nice talk but it made me a bit sad. I just know she's not long for this world and I will miss her in it.
Friday Fun Day was fun. I have decided that everyone should have a Friday Fun Day whether retired or not. Just do whatever it is you want - who cares what time it is, it's just a fun day. Or you can be like Rick and take an extra long nap and drive his wife crazy with the synchronized snoring of dog and man😀
10 comments:
Our Costco has the optical department in the front too....but I can never resist looking around. Great deal on your glasses ~ I think Romeo got his cheaper at Wallymart last time he bought them.
It is sad when you know that a person you love will not be in our world for much longer. It's important to stay in touch though...I have been thinking a lot of my Mom lately, she loved Thanksgiving and Christmas. This will be our first holiday season without her. So I understand why Betty only remembers that her son is no longer able to celebrate her birthday, instead of enjoying her own. Really, the older I get the less I enjoy my own :D It's just another day, yes? Except my kids and family call me to remind me how old I'm getting, lol.
Pretty good deal on the glasses. I paid more than that at Walmart for just one pair. Sigh.
I am so glad you still have your ex-Mother in law to talk to. I adored mine also and it was mutual. She always had my back in the marriage. I do miss her.
Had to laugh at Rick and Izzy's synchronized snoring. What a bond they have.
We love Costco. By the time we are out of this place, we spend $400 - $500 every time. We use it also. Yesterday my wife took me to this place to find a walker for me. Yes, I hate it but I guess I need one. My friends and neighbors are telling me that they are terrified for me every time I go outside. I guess my stroke that I got years ago has finally got to me. I'm only 72. Your mother - in - law is 89. I hate getting old Peg.
Cruisin Paul
Love your mother-in-law story. After one of my serious boyfriends and I broke up I think I missed his mother more than I missed him. It would have been nice to be able to keep in contract with her. Years later she told a mutual friend that her son breaking up with me was one of his biggest mistakes.
I need to go to Costco for some computer glasses for me and Claudia. I've got trifocals and I look at the computer through the smallest part of the lens. I get a lot of neck exercise.
I always get my glasses at Costco too. I got the 2 pairs for like $50 with my insurance, what a deal! I had many years without insurance so it sure is nice to have it now. I've worn glasses most of my life and my girls also.
I got a two-fer glasses special at Costco one time and they were some of my favorite glasses. I'm glad you have one near. Hope you like them as much as I did.
Glad you're happy with you new glasses acquisition. I hate when they follow you around, or worse, just grab some frames and tell you to try them.
Sounds like your (ex) MIL is still relatively sharp despite the age/stroke. Still, it's hard to watch people we love decline.
Yvonne, My wallymart glasses lasted 3 months and the screws kept coming out. I went back so many times and finally gave up on them.
Patti, My MIL supported me in the marriage as well. He always said something about that too. :-)
Paul, who doesn't love Costco? Hey nothin' wrong with the walker. We need you upright Paul, don't want you falling. don't forget the tennis balls on the bottom of the walker so you don't scratch up your new floors in your new house. ;-)
Jean, my MIL says that all the time. But if he hadn't slept with my "friend" we still would have divorced eventually. I was not happy and neither was he. He just made it happy quicker
Mike, get your butt to Costco. My new ones are progressive for distance, computer and then reading. I do not like progressive because I move my head around like I am a kid who needs a helmet in the house. I look silly. I said I'd try em one more time then if I Hate them they said I have 90 days to bring 'em back and switch 'em out. Can't beat that - better than neck exercises! They also have a new lens that will be wider for some progressives - you may wish to get to Costco.
Julie, I don't have insurance but $50 for two pairs is damn good girl!
Barbara, I hope so too!
Post a Comment