Yes, I know there are maps on my phone. Since being here I use that daily.
However I want a damn paper map! Which you can only get online...maybe.
When I moved from PA to OH I recall receiving my two, two feet stacks of folders that were now my accounts. I was also given these red books which were actually maps/atlas. When I first moved there I studied the map so I could understand where this burb was in adjacent to that burb I had to go to next. It helped me to visually see where everything was. I find that easier than just driving around. Knowing that Chagrin Falls was northeast of Solon helped me understand where I had to go vs just using a GPS today. So moving here and having no maps other than our phone has been a challenge for me.
I mentioned the other day Izzy has a vet appointment already on the 27th. She was to have her Bordetella vaccine (she is not an anti-vaxer) and then meet the new vet. However since plans were made God made other plans and wanted to show us we can't make plans.
If you recall me telling you on the date of our closing on August 30th we were actually homeless. We could not leave the dog at our empty house. We had to check out of the hotel and we decided that since we did not know how long this would take us we'd leave her at doggie day care for 2 hrs and her last visit. (boy they made a fuss and gave her parting gifts!)
She was there a full 2.5 hours. Since we've been here she has been out of sorts so we blamed everything on the move. We arrived on Tuesday and Friday she coughed while on a walk with Rick. But just one cough so we didn't think anything of it. Sunday she and I were out and about sniffing everything she could smell when she began to violently cough. She sat down and just kept coughing. It sounded like death or choking. I rubbed her throat to see if she was choking. (that actually worked once) She was a bit shaken so I sat on the curb with her for a bit. Then I stood up and said, "okay? ready?" She got up and we walked back. But by Monday she was coughing a bit more and at 2:30a on Tuesday she woke us up to a lot of coughing. She gets so scared when she coughs if it wasn't sad it'd be funny. She got out of her bed and came over to us for loving and comfort. It was cute. She can't climb up to our bed anymore and this one is very high I have to jump to get in, so we go by her bed and just rubbed her belly until she fell asleep.
At 8am Tuesday morning I called the new vet. I said while we had an appointment with you on the 27th I think she may have kennel cough so can we get in far sooner but keep the 27th for all the regular stuff? She said," heavens yes let's get her here sooner than later, can you do 3pm today?" YES!
Now this vet is in our new "hometown" but we our temp housing is on the other side of the city. So it was a 30 minute drive. We hear words like beltline, (like our beltway in dc I guess) 540, I-40 and 54. AH. Where do these roads go? I know I-40 from my new home takes me to the city but the others? It's a crap shoot for us and we laugh a lot. Rick can't normally get out of a parking lot so it's usually funny.
So as we are driving I say to Rick, "This is crazy that I don't know these streets yet."
Rick: "And you won't cuz they aren't marked"
Well that made me laugh. Seriously what is the issue with no street signs?
It reminded us of when we moved to Seattle and all the locals bitched a fit about all the new people moving there. They were awful to you if you asked directions. (seattle was hostile all the time, never met such cranky people) At least here if you ask they are helpful. But then Rick said, "maybe this is their passive aggressive move to make all the transplants go home. You know a more passive aggressive Seattle move."
Again he made me laugh but the way things are going it seemed to make sense even though I know that is not the case. Or do I?
We made it, she got her meds for Kennel Cough and they followed up with us this morning to be sure she had no issues. See you on the 27th for her bortetella. They did not wish to give her the vaccine while she was not feeling well so the 27th is still in play for her shot and exam.
As we are driving home I see a Sheetz. (gas station) I say, hey let's stop there and see if like at home they have maps. I went inside and I didn't see them. I asked if they had them. The kid at the counter said, "maps? like paper maps?" I said yes. He laughed and said, "no, do they still make maps?" I shrugged and walked out in old lady shame.
Later in the day we went by another gas station so we stopped - nope.
Maybe they were all around us in DC because of all the tourism. There were a ton of folded laminated DC maps showing metro stops and landmarks. But nothing but laughs at this gas station. We antiquated old farts. When we left there we knew they were making fun of the old farts. Yes we still prefer paper and pen too you young whipper snappers! Glad we didn't ask about a phone book. 😁
So last evening I blew up the map on Rick's Surface (laptop) and I am studying this. I asked yesterday if Garner was east of holly springs or north? ✋✋ I know, I know, it is north.
So, you see I am now ready for my quiz.
Oh and by the way, Izzy's vet bill was a third of what it would be up north. Thank God for small favors!
16 comments:
I'm a fan of my Google maps app, but sometimes I too want to see it on paper in a bigger context. The rest areas on the state lines (also called welcome centers) in the Midwest usually have paper maps free for the taking. The ones I remember in the near past are Michigan, Illinois, and Iowa. For all I know, the budget for those was cut too, though. Also, the indy bookstore near us has them. Or did. I guess I haven't looked for one in a while.
Hope, that is a good idea - the rest areas. I will continue to look. I saw a bookstore the other day I may have to stop there too. I will find one - hopefully, before I learn this place. LOL. Thx for the ideas.
I was going to suggest the local visitors center or maybe a hotel lobby. There are still paper maps to be found. I don't care if people laugh, I keep paper maps in our vehicles for back-up when there's no cell service. Might also check the local library.
Poor Izzy. This has been a traumatic move. Good news that new vet was available and priced right. I can understand wanting a paper map to visualize. I have no sense of direction so I like them too but now that you say it, I haven't seen anyone offer paper maps but then again, I pump my own so I haven't been inside. I have AAA and I think they have them still. Wonder if they have an office there.
When I was going to drive cross country I bought a map book at Staples. If there is a book store maybe try there too. Is there AAA out there?
A lot of times I will look at the map on my phone and just zoom it around to see what is around it. That helps me a bit.
https://www.ncdot.gov/travel-maps/maps/Pages/state-transportation-map.aspx
They will mail a free one to you.
And Bobi is right. The visitor's centers will give you several if you ask nicely.
See you got great advice about maps. I always use both which is handy when the GPS routes me into an orange grove.
I used to like to peruse a paper map before heading into unknown territory. I actually saw some Colorado maps in Walmart recently and was glad to see them available. They weren't exactly flying off the shelf, though. Might be going the way of the payphone.
Our dog, Penny, had kennel cough when we first rescued her. It's REALLY contagious. Hope Izzy's feeling better.
I could navigate by map but I was thrilled to give them up in favor of GPS.
Poor Izzy! Glad you were able to get her into the vet and get her on medication and the visit didn't cost you an arm or a leg! My hubby used to always want the new atlas when it came out every year. He would pour over it to check out this or that. Myself, I was glad when GPS and the like were invented because I was always the map reader on car trips and reading maps was not a skill I did well. Put lot of stress of me. I looked up Sheetz stores. I wonder how many times the name is mispronounced.
betty
I'm the same way about paper maps and they are hard to find. Our state tourist association still sends them out by request. I print out map from Google Maps of places I'm going and I keep a notebook of all those maps to grab when I go.
Hope Izzy is feeling better soon.
I too always want a paper map. My grandson would say "boomer."
I hope that Izzy will eventually get used to her new home. Me, I'm not settled down myself yet. LOL. Thank God that your vet's bill is smaller.
Cruisin Paul
Maps...we still have an Atlas of the US that we'll keep even though it's hopelessly outdated. But, they haven't moved the major freeways, so, that should be ok, haha.
Sure am glad to hear Izzy is better, poor thing!
People still laugh at me because I use mapquest.(lol) I remember good old fashioned maps and postcards, both of which I see very little of these days. Garner is about 17-18 miles away from Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina is about 13-15 miles away. In fact, if I get on Hwy 401, it's pretty much a straight shot for me to get there. I often visit the Super Walmart which is on Fayetteville Road near a restaurant called Fatback Jacks. Garner is also where I sometimes go for VA doctor's appointments. If I go the other direction, down Hwy 55, that takes me to Holly Springs, and eventually Apex. If I go to Holly Springs, I get to the Super Walmart there in about 10 minutes. Is your new home also in Garner, along with the tiny teeny room you're in? I like that tiny house by the way, and that HUGE flat screen. Can't wait to see you and your home, and welcome again! I know it will take some time, but this will be like home soon. Hugs, RO
Ro, could you email me? Your email is in my pc which is being shipped here. I wanted to email you about something!
Post a Comment