Yesterday at Rick's 2nd job he had to only do a standard tub. A very quick in and out kind of job. The man Mr. C. was home and let him in. The man disappeared and was never to be heard from again.
Rick called the office and told me he couldn't find him. He had walked all over his house yelling his name. He told me he knocked on all the doors and called his name and then opened ever so slowly to be sure he wasn't intruding I guess. He thought he may have gone into a bedroom and fell asleep. Rick said he feared he'd find him dead or collapsed.
Rick waited as long as he could but he had to leave to get to the next job.
When he called me, Rick let me know where the care sheet instructions were left, etc. to tell Mrs. C.
The job was paid for by the contractor and we were hired by their contractor so we had payment and Rick left to get to his 3rd job.
He wanted me to follow up with Rudy the contractor and/or Mrs. C.
I left a VM for Mrs. C, but she was not picking up.
I also sent her an email.
I called Rudy to let him know. I asked if he thought this man had dementia.
I explained to Rudy that Mr. C called me yesterday and asked, "Why aren't you here? You were so supposed to be here at 11am on the 22nd?"
I said, "you are correct sir about 11am and the 22nd but that is tomorrow"
He said, "no, it is Tuesday because my wife told me."
I said, "Sir the 22nd is Wednesday and that is tomorrow. We will be at your home on Wednesday, July 22nd at 11:00 AM. I believe an email was sent to you confirming this.
"Oh" is all he said.
So after that conversation, I thought perhaps he had dementia and was confused or walked out of the house and got lost. Who knows? He even said to Rick that Peggy told me to turn off the air conditioning.
Now Rick knew I would never do that!! I never even mentioned air conditioning, why would I? So that was very odd.
When I couldn't reach the wife I called the contractor and he thanked me for letting him know. He said he could go back there in about an hour if we don't find him.
He too was a bit concerned. He has been working in this family's home for 3 weeks now so he knows them. I told him if he does find him let us know because Rick said he could go back after he finished the last job.
It may seem silly to most that the contractors like us and Rudy would be worried about an older man not being home but it was a big red flag to us all. As well as people don't just leave when you are in their home without telling you.
Finally, several hours later Mrs. C wrote back via email. She said they found him under the deck and he was fine. I didn't say, 'UNDER the deck?" I just said I was glad he was okay and I would let Rudy know.
She thanked me a few times and told me to thank Rudy as well.
I immediately called Rudy to let him know he didn't have to go back to their home. I told him he was under the deck. Rudy's response was UNDER?
Yes, I didn't ask Rudy. I really think he may be a bit confused.
Rick's guess was late 50s. But he could be in the beginning of dementia. My Dad did crazy things like this when it started.
At the end of my day, Mrs. C called me. She didn't give me a lot of info and I just felt from her that I shouldn't ask too much. She called to thank me, she had only been emailing me and wanted to talk to me she said. She repeated he was UNDER the deck and she had a minute before she left work to thank us again for our concern it was very much appreciated. That was that.
Weird isn't it?
Going into people's homes you sure see and get a lot, don't you?
Some scary, some funny and most weird.
I've written about the women who get naked while the guys are there, fat hairy men who answer the door naked, the gay group of guys who asked Rick if they wanted to "join" him, the man that had a rifle pointed at his head and wouldn't let Rick in the house and the list goes on.
Do you remember the house with all the life-size dolls?
No, not blow-up dolls, real dolls. Those creeped Rick out so bad it made me laugh. He swore their eyes were following him each time he had to walk by them. There were many and all over the house, sitting around tables, sitting in chairs, even just standing in the hall. He got so excited telling me how in the dining room there were dolls sitting at the table like they were eating dinner with place settings in front of them. Their heads turned to another as if talking. Those really bothered him. He is normally so cool and collected so seeing him this way really made me giggle. (does that make me a bad wife?)
He asked the homeowner to remove the one in the bathroom because he told them he may get overspray on it. He wouldn't, but it creeped him out so he just wanted it out of there. He said working in that haunted house was better than this dollhouse. It was making me laugh so hard after that job. He had the heebie-jeebies. I would have too but listening to Rick tell this story still makes me laugh.
Women who call me to ask if Rick is married is one of my favorites. Especially when they go further and say, Is he happily married?
After telling someone they are married there should be no more questions. End of story. But those are my favorites I must admit. Using my maiden name at work and saying I am the office manager gives me so much more information than if they knew I was part owner. Hence why we do it. And the fact that the very first day of business a woman said in such a tone, "You aren't his wife are you?" I knew I just had to say no with her tone. When I did say no she said, 'Good!" So it's been my maiden name ever since and I say he is my boss. That is funny in and of itself. He does the jobs. I do everything else. He couldn't tell you about anything in our business.
Job security for me if I wanted it. But damn it, I'd prefer to be fired!!
Perhaps I could sue for sexual harrassment.
20 comments:
With the collection of characters you have gathered you should write a book -- perhaps a series of books. Readers would laugh like crazy and congratulate your wild imagination and they would never have to know it wasn't all made up. Something to think about if you ever get fired.
Very interesting Peg, very interesting. Have a great day my friend.
Cruisin Paul
Olga, Rick is always bugging me to do that. I can't imagine anyone wanting to read it though. But ya'll do come here so maybe that is my retirement. :-)
Paul, hope your moving is going well!! Did you make those fish tacos or has life been moving too fast to cook?
I wonder if all contractors have these issues? It is so weird how many cray cray's , shyster and angry people you two have to interact with. Here's to a better day.
Wow, I could not have NOT asked what's under the deck. And why would she even think to look there unless the guy had gone there before?
Linda, we talk to contractors all the time about this stuff. You go into people's homes and you see it all. It's not just us or I'd be worried. :-) Funny that you think that though.
Jean, I know! It was difficult, but if you'd have heard her tone you wouldn't have either. I have learned to read people far better. I don't even know how she found him since she was at work.
Sure glad they found him even if it was under the desk.
I am with Olga, these wild stories need to be put in a book. The dolls would have freaked me out.
Patti, deck, not desk. In case that wasn't a typo.
Yes, we were thrilled they just found him. As for the book, I just don't see anyone buying that one. :-)
Sounds like that guy should not be left alone. So odd!
Your life is far more interesting than mine right now.
Under the deck. Huh.
It *does* sound like dementia. You and Rick are kind enough to care. I like to think most people would do the same, but I can't say that for sure.
Ami, not really it isn't. I feel like going under the deck about now too. Did you see or hear or read about the FedEx man who delivered a package and put it on the porch as a elderly man laid there asking for help to get up. The Fed Ex driver said, "can't do it cowboy" and left him laying there. Ring captured it. How awful. If Fed Ex policy is to not help then call 911 or go to the neighbor what the hell kind of creep is this man? Honestly if you see someone hurting you don't just do nothing! perhaps he's mango mussolini's relative. :-)
Oh god that's horrible!! I would risk losing my job to help someone, or at least I'd like to think I would!!!
Hair Fuhrer doesn't have relatives, they're little clones.
UNDER the deck? I'm glad he was found, anyway. Late 50s is not that old!
I have a friend who used to go to people's houses for work. One woman offered him some orange juice, and when she came back from the kitchen, she was buck naked. Nothing happened, but my friend cringes every time he thinks of orange juice!
Abby, I'm not sure I can look at orange juice the same!!🤣
Ami,I know I believe most people would help.
HA,Hair Fuhrer! Good one.
Wow you should definitely write a book about your husband's experiences. I suppose entering people's houses is like entering different worlds. We're all a bit odd really. :D
Too funny. I don't think I would like going into peoples' houses. I never really thought about it before but it is kind of creepy.
Barbara, I am glad it's not me because I would not like it one bit.
Oh! I think I might have made a run for it from the "doll house"...always have had a creepy feeling from some dolls. But I do like your style, Peg. No, I'm not his wife....sly
Yvonne, he sent me a photo on that day I should have saved them. The one at the dining room table was very creepy.
Post a Comment