Saturday, July 25, 2020

Headsets

I wear a headset in the office. I always have.
I can walk around the house and still answer the phones. 
I love that I can get to my files or walk around the room, and type while talking on the phone. 
And yes, once I forgot I was on the toilet peeing and I answered the phone. I about died. I could feel my face turn red as if the poor guy could see me. 

It was lunchtime so I was away from the desk.
I ate some lunch, walked the dog all the while wearing my headset.
Honestly, I must look like a damn fool outside with this thing on.  
I came inside and thought I'd go to the bathroom before heading back upstairs to my office.
The phone rings as I am sitting there and my instinct kicked in and I answered the phone. I stopped mid-pee. Hey, I can still do that!

Thankfully it was a salesperson and not one I had an appointment with so I got him off the phone quickly. Whew. 
I couldn't hold it in that much longer so that worked. 
I have never done that again!  
Rick asked, "did you hang up before you flushed, or do you think he heard that?"  
"My goodness of course I waited until he was off the phone to flush!" 
Yes, wouldn't that be professional, using the bathroom, hearing the flush as you're on the phone? If tables were turned I'd be thinking, hey did that guy wash his hands I didn't hear water. Yes, I washed mine but he never heard me. 

I wear this stupid thing on my head from 8:30 - 5p. 
I honestly forget it's on me.
It leaves a ridge on my hair when I take it off. But I still love not being tied to the receiver while at my desk.
I can go to the copier and I don't need to worry about the phone cord. I type information while talking to customers and I couldn't do that if I had to use the receiver so all in all this was a great investment.

They aren't cheap. I believe this was just under $400 about 10 years ago. So $40 a year is good but I didn't want to have to get a new one right now.  It seems as though it's time for a new one though.  

I love the customer service at this place, headsets.com.
They are all so friendly and helpful and when they send you your order you get those small tootsie rolls that fill up the box instead of those styrofoam peanuts. How can that ever be bad?
I happen to LOVE those little buggers so send 'em my way.

Yesterday I called customer service and said I needed to order a new battery one last time before I have to fork out the big bucks for a new headset. The battery dies too quickly.  We have tried some things to troubleshoot but nothing seems to work. I got a new battery just over 6 months ago. They should last 2 yrs. 
So it seems to be slowly dying like me I suppose. 

Matt, the customer service rep, and I went over the newest ones. 
Much slicker than mine. Smaller footprint on the desk, newer technology, and tools to use as well and I could certainly see how great it would be but not right now.  Matt also told me he is using the Leitner that I liked. 
Because of that, I asked if I could throw a few questions at him.
I asked all my questions and he even told me the one thing he did prefer on the one I currently use vs. this one I'm looking at purchasing down the road.  Overall he told me the one I'm looking it is superior just because the technology keeps improving. 
I appreciated that. I looked at this model online as he spoke. 
It is far less money than what I have but newer with better range and newer technology. 
But I still didn't wish to fork out the $250-300 right now.  

We are finding in a pandemic we need to be a bit more frugal so the new battery will have to do for now.  Just don't make me have to use the receiver.
How did people in an office setting years ago do this without a headset?
Boy we are spoiled with 21st-century technology, aren't we?

And speaking of old? We were, weren't we? I saw a kid on TV that was shocked to find out that there were no computers in school when his parents went to school. Oh, the questions. It was making me laugh but at the same time, I felt like this kid thought his father in his 40s was using an abacus and writing on cave walls the way he questioned him.  No, I did not use an abacus,  but he sure made me feel that way.
Oh well, nothing like a shipping box full of tootsie rolls on their way to my home to make me get over it. 

10 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

If I saw you with a headset on I'd just think you were listen to a radio. Remember when you could get headset radios?

I've done the peeing thing while talking on the phone, it never dawned on me that anyone could pick that up on the phone...until one day I was peeing while wearing my hearing aids and realized how loud it was. Oops.

Mona McGinnis said...

When my son was young, he asked me, "When you went to school did you use a slate?"

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, HA! 🤣🤣🤣

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Monica, welcome! Hey you're around these parts.thx for stopping by.
A slate? Was he watching the Flintstones? Now that's funny!

Arkansas Patti said...

There is a trick if you are caught with a strong urge while on the phone. Tear off some toilet paper and drop it into the toilet. Then when your tinkle hits it, there is no sound. Of course if they catch you mid tinkle, a kegel move like you used is the only choice. Not sure I could pull that off.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, great tip! Now let's hope I never have to use it. Hey, that's why I said I can still do it. Everything I still have the ability to do is a friggin' reason to celebrate!

Mike said...

I used a headset when I worked at the office and then at home. It was from the same company. Great service. I used a Panasonic which I didn't see in their lineup this time. the closet thing was the 'EXECUTIVE PRO Chattaway Single Ear Headset System.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

"Chattaway?" you made up that name didn't you? Executive pros have wires. I can't be tethered Mike😄

Julie H said...

I've talked to my friends on the phone in the bathroom and put them on mute lol

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, well I guess I do need a new headset so I can mute.🙂