She was due for a couple of vaccines.
The whole visit they spoke to us as if she was dying.
It was freaking me out.
He kept saying that she is 10 years old and you have to be aware of this or that.
He at one point he said, You need to prepare yourself for this last part of her life.
Her arthritis is not getting any better so we need to manage it the best we can.
On the days she limps a bit, don't walk so far.
No problem. When she is limpy she doesn't want to walk.
I am thankful when I go to the doctor she doesn't speak like that to me.
Margaret, you are old now. The warranty on your joints has expired.
We will keep you comfortable but don't push yourself because you are about to die.
I know he was setting our expectations and all of that. I get it. But it shocked me, to be honest. I didn't like it either but it is the reality.
Izzy had Lyme disease and we need to check into her numbers every now and then through blood work. They were low but they are there.
That is just the residual of the disease so no medication is needed.
That too can contribute to her joint pain and limping. Because of the blue green algae and her liver enzymes went through the roof last summer we couldn't just get a script for any anti-inflammatories for her. Her liver tests had to be done again and thankfully they came back perfect so we are now going to begin anti-inflammatories but not every day. As needed after a couple of days straight of taking them.
I know Labradors don't live long. "They say 10-14 years" I have never known one to live as long as 14. Normally it's between 10-12.
As long as she has a quality of life, of course, I hope it's longer, not shorter.
I can't fathom our home without this fur baby around.
No walking all the time? I can't imagine a stroll without her or boating without her. Sleeping in will be a strange one as well. It will be awful.
But she is still here so I am not going to think about it.
This visit was so expensive. A luxury car payment.
I thank God every Vet visit that I have insurance. I have to pay and I will be reimbursed in 2-5 days. Credit card until I get reimbursed and then pay the card. I wish my insurance was as good.
Everyone asks if I will get another dog.
No.
First and foremost I do not want a dog to live longer than me.
Second I will never have a dog as good or as smart as Izzy The Wonder Dog.
Third, having a dog limits your travel and we want to do a bit of that without worrying about how we can do this with a dog.
So no this will be my last and best dog.
In the meantime, I am just going to enjoy this fur baby now.
Until in a few weeks when she is blowing her coat to bring in her summer coat which is far lighter. I will have hair rolling across my floors like tumbleweed and I will be vacuuming 2x a day at the very least. She doesn't shed much other times at all and we are fortunate. But 2x a year boy she makes up for it.
Has your vet spoken to you like this when your dog got older?
Or did he/she just wait until the dog was at the point that it had to be discussed?
Check out her summer color vs winter color. Big difference.
I call her summer color her highlights. :-)
As a pup when we first got her I didn't know this was going to happen and I thought it was odd. Now I just think it's kind of cool that like most of us gals, she has her summer highlights too.
Only hers are free.
😉

18 comments:
I forgot about the blue green algae experience. Thanks for reminding me.
Levi and Izzy are about the same age but I have not gotten the negative 'talk' yet. But maybe schnauzers have a longer life span? He's got Lyme's and joint issues too.
I can't imagine living without a dog. I've only done it when I was in college living in a dorm but I could visit the family dogs on the weekends. Don and I bought a motor home so we could always take our dogs on vacation. I'm thinking of fostering when Levi is gone. At my age the humane society won't let seniors adopt the younger dogs. But adopting a 8+ year old dog often comes with issues. I don't even want to think about living without Levi. Life might be easier but it would be boring and lonely.
Jean, I understand making it boring and lonely. As Rick likes to say, "we are certain now we won't get another, until we get another" :-)
Maggie was half lab. She was 16 when we had to put her to sleep. Miss her still.
Our vet told us when Maggie was about seven that she had 'maybe 8 years'.
We are in the 'never again' camp, too. It just hurt too much to let her go, even though she was suffering and it was the right thing.
I hope your Izzy has a few more wonderful years ahead.
Ami, 16 is pretty terrific in dog years. I will take it!
I just saw a meme that said the only thing wrong with having a dog is that they leave us too early. truer words never spoken.
Can't believe the difference in her seasonal coats and I agree, I would hate a human doctor talking to me like that.
I tried to go no dog after Mighty Dog left me and only intended to foster dogs for I know I can't out live a dog at my age. However, I fell for my foster and adopted her. She blossomed so when she moved in. Now I worry about who will care for her when I am gone. I have a friend who has volunteered but I can tell it is for me and not for the dog.
Patti, I think I would find someone who does it for the dog and not me. Just my humble opinion. Dogs are so great aren't they? Too bad their lives are so short. Then again your friend who volunteered may fall madly in love with your dog when she has him and it will be all about your dog for your friend. They have a way of opening up our hearts don't they?
What a beautiful face. I agree, after a lifetime with a special dog, It would be very difficult getting a new dog. That one would never be able to be just like the one that lived and loved with us. I had one, A boxer called Bruno. Bruno was my pal growing up and to this day, I don't think I couldn't find another dog that I could love any better then Bruno. Izzy, keep strong and enjoy life & you also Peg. See ya.
Cruisin Paul
Paul, I get it. And I LOVE the name Bruno. ❤
I only take my dogs to the vet when they are sick so I haven't had that talk lol. Didn't buy insurance so can't afford it ;) I thought we wouldn't get another dog before but I only made it about 2 months and had to get another one.
Julie, she can't go to a place to board or day care without vaccines. (like school and vaccines) She needed bordetella and distemper shots. And dog insurance is $20 a month. That's 1 bottle of wine or 2 depending on your wine. :-) I drink more than that in a month. :-)
So it's worth it for us. They take it out of me so I don't realize it so much you know?
As for a new one - everyone tells me that. We will see I suppose. I get it.
It's sad that dogs age so much faster than humans. I remember taking our previous dog for a checkup and the vet telling me I should start giving her senior vitamins. Seemed like she was just a goofy pup. After we put her down from old age, the house was so empty. When I went out walking without her, I carried her tags around with me for a while because I hated not hearing them during walks.
I'm sure Izzy's enjoying a wonderful life with you. I didn't know they change colors. Cool!
Abby I didn't either. another owner said his dog changes but not as dramatically. we didnt have her for 24 hrs and it was so quiet and eerily so. then I swore I heard the jingle of her collar. weird!
My lab lived to be 15. Eventually his but muscles atrophied and he couldn't get up when he lay down. Noth my beagle and lab lived to be fifteen and sixteen respectively. When the second d one died, I said I needed a break. Within less than three mo ths we had a new beagle. Snd then a coonie.
Mike used to say that dogs not living as long as their people was a major design flaw. His broken heart when he had to put Pete (the dog) down broke my heart. I have it on pretty good authority that they are together in dog heaven now though.
Barbara 15 is really great. I hope to be as lucky.
Olga, I know they are together too. And damn it, it is a major design flaw.
No, I haven't had a vet talk like that and even though it sounds rotten, I guess it is good for us to hear. It broke my heart when my real first dog died. I can still remember the pain like it was yesterday. I hope Iz gets every extra minute she can.
Post a Comment