Friday, March 22, 2019

The 60s and 70s.

Over the last few weeks, Rick and I have noticed this trend in all things '60s & '70s.

We were watching the Voice. 

The music the kids were singing was mostly Rick and my generation. Then the clothes they were wearing were all so late 60s, early 70's.
These kids were in their early 20's or younger. 
Big bell bottoms, fringed vests, long straight hair, and makeup screaming the late 60's and 70s.
This 17 yr old came out in a pair of stripped huge bellbottoms with a fringey shirt and big ole Herman Munster shoes. You know the kind, big platforms and flat. I saw her and said to Rick, "I had that same outfit in high school!"
Did she raid her grandmothers closet and music bin?

I love that these young people are singing what I think is great music but I wonder why? Sure I can be flippant and say that their music sucks. But not all of it. I saw a meme once that said the reason people think music sounds better on vinyl is only because the music was better. 

Maybe. I find this interesting. But every generation loves their music.
So this resurgence of this music is fun for me. I don't mind.

Last night Jimmy Kimmel had a band on his show and if you had just tuned in you would have thought you were watching the 60's music show Hullabaloo from just seeing the clothes and hairstyles and the lead singers makeup.


Right now there is a brand new Broadway play called, Ain't Too Proud To Beg.

It's the music and story of the Temptations.  I would LOVE to see this.
Talk about 60s and early 70s music.  It's like listening to my soundtrack CD from The Big Chill. (yes I have the album as well I'm that old)
I still think David Ruffin was the best lead singer of Temptations.
Sadly he died of a cocaine overdose in 1991

I love old Motown Soul and Heavy Rock 'n Roll. 
I just don't fit anywhere anymore, except in the old folks home 😜



I'm not so sure this song's meaning, Ball of Confusion is any different today than in 1970 sadly.
 


Have a great weekend everybody.

18 comments:

Mike said...

I saw the Kimmel show last night. They were good but didn't quite hit it for me. I'm glad you posted the Temps lip sinking 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg' so I could reimplant the real song in my head.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, they didn't do it for us either. We commented on their looks and deleted the recording. :-)

Cruisin Paul said...

The 60's were when I was in the teens. Music was fantastic. The Temptations, the Miracles, Stevie Wonder and the entire Motown sound was wonderful. I even met Little Stevie Wonder when he was small but could still sing great. I had bell bottoms and those high heels. Today I would never wear them. I would probably break my neck. LOL Those were the days. I even had a girlfriend called Peggy. See ya Peg.


Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul, I think you may be a wee bit older than me. I was a teen in the 70's. but I sure love the whole Motown sound. I loved Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight. I also remember seeing "Little Stevie Wonder" on American Bandstand. Did you guys get that up there?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul well I guess I was a teen in the 60's. I turned 13 in 1969. Sorry 'bout that.

jono said...

Excellent tunes! Stevie Wonder and I are about the same age. Maybe he is a year older, but close enough. You should watch this with James Cordon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqrvm2XDvpQ
Growing up near Philadelphia exposed me to a lot of soul music. I still like it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jono, I saw him on carpool karaoke and loved it when he said he'd drive! I still listen to Songs in the key of Life all the time!
And yes, the Philly sound was a real thing. Along with Bandstand. Didn't it start there?

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I was in my twenties for most of the 60s and I was single, doing the clubbing scenes so I have lots of good memories of the music and clothing of that era. Bringing it back is---pardon the pun---music to my ears. But a friend of mine bought some new bell bottoms and had to return them. She said old people gaits and those pants don't go together. LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, oh that is funny! I have a saying that if you wore it the first time, you're too old to wear it the 2nd time. Trust me on this. the
😉

Abby said...

I was a kid in the 70's and a teen in the 80's, and when I hear music from 60's thru 80's it really brings back the memories! Mostly good memories, but I don't miss those platform shoes :)

Olga said...

Ahh, the Big Chill -- loved that movie and the music!
I went to an MLK Jr. service in January and the CME minister played Ball of Confusion which certainly made a statement about the slow pace of progress in race relations.

bluzdude said...

Just wait till those old folks homes have to start playing ACDC and Deep Purple for their residents. They better upgrade their sound systems!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Bluzdude, I love me some AC/DC. That's a hoot. Maybe that is why Margaritaville is so popular. If you aren't aware Margaritaville is a 55+ community for we oldsters.
Yes, Jimmy Buffett owns it. So the community is based on that lifestyle with its restaurants, bars, medical facilities etc. Most homes are 1 level. You know the drill. We got some info in the mail and had a good chuckle. There are 2, one in Daytona and one in Hilton Head. So no one would tell you to turn your music down and they'd all be asleep by 11p :-)

Susan Kane said...

Back in the day now! All those old sounds stand the test of time, haven't they. Wish I had kept some of those clothes.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Susan, even if I had, sadly they wouldn't fit. 😫

Julie H said...

Probably because the older music actually has more lyrics to it. I've been listening to Oprah's podcast called Master Class and she's had a lot of people that were from those older groups. Fun to hear their stories.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hey Julie, thx for that idea. I hate being in the office in silence. (except for phones of course) I play a lot of music and Sirius talk. I am going to try this podcast!!

Barbara said...

I asked my old lawyer boss one time about all of the commercials using music from the 60s and 70s. He said the copyright on many of the songs were expiring and that's why the sounds could be used. You know when you are headed to the kitchen during a commercial and you are singing along that it must be one of those good old songs.