Thursday, March 21, 2019

Rx Rant

We get 3 medications compounded.
For those who don't know what that is, I will try to explain.

These medications are made by hand. They are not poured out of a bottle of tablets or pills and counted by the pharmacist and handed to you. 
They must be compounded (homemade) with all the separate ingredients to make this Rx. 
I currently go to a special compounding pharmacy we will refer to as Pharmacy A.

Pharmacy A has been horrific. 
There is always something incorrect. 
Sometimes it is billing, shipping, filling of the RX or picking it up.  
I have had so many issues that when a survey was sent to me, I was honest and I laid it all out in a linear fashion. 
The owner then wrote to me with a seemingly sincere apology. 
I was also given 3 free shipping on my Rx's as an apology for what I had been through.

Recently I called a week in advance, which you must do to give them time to make it. Normally 3 days is enough but I give them a week just in case.
After a week I called because I did not get a message that it was ready.
They said it wasn't ready but it would be by the next day after 4pm. 
I went there the next day and it wasn't made. 
Now I have one day left of the pills. (thyroid) 
They again tell me it will be ready. Guess what? It wasn't. 
My doctor called and spoke to someone to get a fire under someone's ass. I got my Rx.  If they were short on an ingredient and were waiting for it to arrive then tell me. They have in the past. But to just leave me hanging with no medication to take was wrong in my eyes.

Another incident was when they charged my debit card on file for drugs I didn't receive or order. I had to prove it. 
I had to bring them my banks statements. I kept saying, did you fill it? 
No, they would say. Okay, then why did you charge me? 
I had to jump through hoops. They insisted they did not charge me. 
I was right they indeed charged me for several medications and they refunded me and apologized profusely. 
You know it is nice when you get an apology but when it keeps happening I find it hollow.

When my doctor calls in a new script I ask them to hold it until I need it refilled. 
This is not an issue at my regular pharmacy but for some reason, this makes them confused or so it appears.
When I see my dr I will get a new script for my drugs but I still have a refill left so I don't need to rush and fill it. They can't seem to get this.
They call me to say my dr called it in and they are filling it. 
I say, No please don't. I will call when I need it. 
Yet I still will get an email, a text and a call. Overkill to me.

There are so many examples that I just can't list them all.
Back to the survey, they sent me. I was honest.
They promised things were changing, new computers etc.
But it all keeps happening.

Earlier this week I called about my new Rx. It is for estradiol cream.
They text me that it is completed. I call and say since I have free shipping can you just ship this to me? 
No, You don't have free shipping. I suggest to Sebastian that he look again, I was given three and I have not used them. 
He says louder, You don't have any!
So I pick them up on my lunch break.

When I got home I found the email giving me the free shipping and I wrote back and said this is the 3rd time I've tried to use them but I am being told I don't have them. 
Do you see the issue you have in the customer service department? 
I am only sharing this because you asked me to.

I got a call immediately. She said it is there in big red letters.
I laughed and said you don't need to tell me, I suggest you share that with the people up front. I have picked it up and I don't need it shipped now.
She apologized. She told me to ask for her. I am not doing that every time I call. And what about if she isn't working that day or shift? Been there done that and not again.

This morning I called a compounding pharmacy that is much further away. (Pharmacy B)
I told them I was unhappy with the current compounding pharmacy and wanted to know the cost they would charge for these. (insurance does not cover compounding, only pharmaceuticals) 

Rick's Rx is 1/2 the price here. Yeah. One of mine is $4 more and the other is $9 more. But it still is cheaper on the whole with the 1/2 price for Rick.  But if I were to do a 3 months supply at one time they only charge for 2 months. SOLD.
They also ship for free. It's only 10 miles away but as I have mentioned before that takes an hour one way. So shipping is a big deal. I am thrilled.

I gave Pharmacy B's pharmacist all the Rx numbers this morning and he will call Pharmacy A. I am just tired of the issues. I just once would like to call in for a refill and there not be an issue or I don't have to call 3 x to get it right.

The bad pharmacy is 3 miles away and so convenient and I think I hung in there too long for this convenience. But in the end how convenient was it really?
So now I can save money and hopefully get my Rx in a timely manner with great service.
Hey, a gal can hope can't she?

18 comments:

Olga said...

Needing an hour to drive ten miles would drive me to drink. And that would be dangerous because drinking and driving do not mix. One must need a great deal of patience to live in a metropolitan area. But the hassle of all the mistakes from that other pharmacy would probably cause my head to explode. I hope the new one works out for you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, I do as well hope this one works. And yes, our heads explode a great deal.
I am fortunate that I do not travel in this a great deal. I work from home and most all I need are right here in my development (3 grocery stores, home depot, bar, resturants etc) But it makes my husband very very cranky as well as me when I venture out. Hence why when we retire we are leaving the area for some small town near a larger city so we can get medical and other things nearby. Looking like NC so far.
And I hate the south so that should be interesting.

Brian said...

Your sanity is worth the 7 miles - and if they ship for free, that 7 miles is moot!!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I hope the new place works out for you. You are more than justified to change and I would wonder if they can't get the simple stuff straight are they compounding properly. Can I ask why you have thyroid compounded? It's such an old drug and has been around forever with lots of generics available for it, too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, my T4 is at a regular pharmacy. I do not use synthetic pharmaceuticals. I have problems with them. My T4 is nature throid (like a misspelled thyroid) very cheap and you can get it at any pharmacy.
My T3 is what is compounded because all the drug company's T3 have had gluten.
Your thyroid has 4 components T4, T3 free T4 and free T3. You can't just measure one - it takes all 4 for it to work well. All the numbers must be adequate for my thyroid to function properly. Most Drs only work on T4 and give you Synthroid and you still feel sick and can't understand why. :-) (without T3 I am very swollen!!) Hope that helps explain. You never ever want a doctor who only works on your TSH level. That is not the whole picture. It would be like you doctor only looking at one valve on your heart but the others are blocked.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, I am beginning to think that is the application process everywhere of late!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Brian - AGREED!!

Mike said...

Compounding pharmacies? What are those? I'll look that up. Hey, I have one in walking distance from my house. Plus 3 more that are 5-minute drives away. Are you sure you don't want to move to St. Louis?

Barbara said...

I did not know about compounding prescriptions. Pharmacy A needs to get it together. I can't say my experience with Walgreens is much better but I would hurt somebody if I had to go through all that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - nothing is a 5 minute drive so maybe I will. We are moving when we retire so you never know!

Barbara - my pharmacist at my current pharmacy is rather dumb. How she got through 8 yrs of schools is beyond me. My husband keeps saying she was the dumbest in her class. But my insurance no longer lets us go to Walgreens. I loved Walgreens.

bluzdude said...

What a racket.

Abby said...

My fingers are crossed for you and Rick.
I'd never heard of compounding pharmacies. But pharmacy A's incompetence is scary considering they're a freaking pharmacy. Is the staff dipping into the products??

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Thanks for the explanation on your thyroid meds. My doctor does to the full panel of thyroid tests at least once a year, sometimes more if I'm having issues.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, so you take it too and understand. sorry, I would not have explained it if I had known. It's that damn gluten every time!!😫 who knew right? I didn't and found out the hard way...as ususl

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, good one. They may just be😊

Arkansas Patti said...

Compounding pharmacies is new to me and I am pretty sure tiny town Arkansas doesn't have any.
I am AMAZED at your patience with pharmacy A. I am a placid person and just reading about your experiences shot my blood pressure up. Sure hope B is a vast improvement.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti I am not the most patient woman and this really got me angry. I tried being nice but they weren't hearing me you know? So I left. I know today I will hear from them asking me why. HA! I hope Pharmacy B is better as well.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I would have done the same, no matter how it might be less convenient! When a business doesn't respond to criticisms its a sign of "we don't care, we don't have to" ~ surprising really, even though there aren't that many compounding pharmacies. It sounds like the one lady wanted to help you, but I don't blame you for not wanting to deal just with her.