Tuesday, March 26, 2019

A few random topics

We are definitely in spring. 
I am freezing one minute and very warm the next.
No, it is not hot flashes, it is spring. 

It was in the 20's this morning when walking the dog.
Whoa, I wasn't prepared for that cold in my face this morning.
We had 70 degrees, 38 degrees and then in the 50's today. 
Spring is a fickle bitch.
______________
I finally got a firestick and this one works, unlike the previous one sent back. 
I love being able to watch ALL of Amazon. woo-hoo!
It is crazy that my Smart TV is 5 yrs old and the technology is outdated for the most recent Amazon software. 5 yrs old!  These big flat screens aren't cheap so it's not like I can just go get another one every few years. I'm sure there are those that can do that, we can't afford that. 
Hence the need for a fire stick. 

I can now watch hbo too since I no longer am able to get HBO on dish network. 
I don't believe I will ever get it back since this went to court. 
"They" claim it is still a possibility. I'm not holding my breath.
ATT owns Direct TV and HBO. 
Imagine Direct TV not wanting Dish to have HBO! Ah, competition.
So as companies do, we get screwed while they are having this hissy fit in court. 
I miss being able to watch it live. But having the ability to finally see shows that we missed is better than nothing.

I also spoke to someone at the company that makes my TV. 
I had a question and called their customer support with regards to my firestick.  
I told her the newest model I was interested in while chatting and she told me to wait. I said Oh I have to for financial reasons. She said something unbelievable is coming out soon and you'll want the newest one. This model is less than a year old for Pete's sake I tell her. 
She said, trust me, wait, you'll be glad you did.
I'm thinking, I HAVE to wait, this isn't an issue of wanting to wait. 

I get what she is saying but honestly technology changes so quickly and the costs of these things does not change or get lower. So even if I did get the newest with the latest and greatest, it will be outdated within its first year as my 5 yr old TV was in a year. 
_______________
I am also noticing that I am leaving messages on blogs but never see them. Either I have made someone angry or something else is happening. 
Anyone else having this issue?
_________________
I did not get to go to jury duty. I had to call on the 18th. I forgot. I could be arrested and imprisoned it stated on the letter. I remembered during the day on that Sunday and when I called they said it was too early. I had to call in the evening. I totally forgot until morning. I called and there was nothing.
I hope it was no trial, not Peg's going to be arrested.
If I'm not here over the next week, I guess we'll all know now won't we?

Send cake with file.

24 comments:

Olga said...

I also have left comments that don't show up -- more than the occasional failure to hit "publish your comment" I am quite certain.

Abby said...

Yes, technology ages faster than a fly, it seems!
Funny you mention your blog comments not showing up. You left a comment at mine, which I saw and responded to. Then it disappeared after I posted my comment. What the...?? I wonder if it's to do with the computer troubles and "reset" you did a few weeks ago?

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I hope that something wonderful coming out with the TV is being able to get all kinds of shows plucked out of the universe without paying anyone. Now that would be worth waiting for.

I haven't noticed my comments disappearing but I have notices comments on my blog are down. I figured no one likes me anymore. LOL Feel free to make a test comment with just the word 'test' anytime you want.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Yes, buying the newest and techiest stuff is mainly for those who have plenty of unencumbered income...that is not us. I still have a Westinghouse TV in my office that is over 10 years old and works fine. Our nice flat screen in the living room is over 6 years old and was outdated the day we took it home, which was probably why we could afford it, haha.

Mike said...

What brand of TV?

Something changed recently on Blogger. The only problem I have with comments now is the stupid ReCaptcha pictures I have to click and click and...

I also have problems with the followers on the sidebar. Some of the icons are gone. Mine was missing on another blog. I had to refollow. On yours, it says 121 followers. If I click next, it goes blank. Look at my followers and see what I'm saying about the missing icon replaced with names.

Linda d said...

Hey Peggy,I’ve had quite a few comments not show. Very frustrating.

bluzdude said...

No choice but to throw yourself on the mercy of the court. If you tell them you have an aging, ailing dog, you may get visitation rights.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Mike, those tiny pictures of followers on the side go blank when you click on them because they most likely connected with a Google+ account and they have been fazing them out and in early April those account will be totally gone.

I had that stupid ReCaptcha make me do them over and over again, too. Thankfully it was only once, here on Margaret's blog.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh my, I didn't realize so many had issues with my site too. If I could remove that damn recaptcha I would. I do not see where I can do that though. If you know, let me know.

My comments are MIA on most sites so if you don't see me, I"m reading you - just can't comment.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Its, You know you are correct. It's like a car. The minute you drive off the lot, it depreciates. Same with the TV apparently.

Mike - I have a 55" Vizio E Series. Nice TV but....it's old.

Bluzdude - I hope I don't have to do that. (fingers crossed)

Jean, free TV, now that is a great thought isn't it? Didn't we start out that way?

Arkansas Patti said...

Sadly everything today is made with built in obsolescence, kind of like we are only technology fades quicker. Another reason I use my cars and appliances till they drop. Keeping up is exhausting.
Only exception was that I use to have Dish till they could no longer get the contract for MLB extra innings and had to switch to Direct.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, I have Dish and I have and have always had MLB extra innings. I have my opener tomorrow already on the DVR since it is at 1pm. I have had dish for 19 yrs.

Annsterw said...

It is crazy how fast things get outdated! y the time I learn to use it; there is a far better one available! HA! I am impressed you went with a fire stick - I am so afraid of that technology...I am totally clueless on those things so I keep forking over $100's to the cable company! If we do not see a post from you; I will find you on the incarcerated persons website and ship a package immediately! I could not survive without your humor everyday! :-) Annster's Domain

Mike said...

I went to Jean's blog. Tried to leave a comment. No go. Google acct, name, anon. Would not work. So Jean - You're going to have to start using gorilla glue to attach things to the headstone. Make them work to get it off.

Peg - Guess how many traffic lights I clicked. Then Vehicles.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ann, oh don't be impressed. You just put it in the hdmi port and viola.

Mike I am totally confused by your comment.

Mike said...

Peg - Jean left me a message above so I went to her blog. Could not comment so I'm using your comment section to comment to her. (If she even sees it.)

Then when I clicked 'I'm not a robot' I had to start identifying pictures. Lots of them.

Now more information for you. I looked at your followers again. It now lets me do 'next' to see all the pages. But did you know your icon is gone? On the followers' page and on the top of your page in the 'about me' box. You didn't have a google plus account set up, did you? If you did it's gone along with your icon. Time to reinstall your icon.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, they automatically gave me one. I never went there except after the email telling me I got one. Hopefully all is fixed. I have reported the comment issue to blogger 2x because I have no control. I would prefer no recaptcha but it won't let me.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Mike, thanks for the Gorilla Glue suggestion. I got so frustrated I went to the monument company to ask them what to use and they told be double-faced carpet tape but that didn't work either.

Thanks Margaret for "hosting" our conversation. I hope all our blog comment sections start working as they should again. I'm guessing the next two weeks is going to be frustrating. I would like suggest that readers at least try to leave a 'reaction' check mark under the blogs we all read so writers don't get discouraged thinking no one is reading.

Barbara said...

At this stage of my life (retirement), I have to study products and make good choices before I spend money. But like you say, when your TV is a year old and the next greatest invention is on the way out and it turns out that is the invention that you've really been wanting - well just how the hell can you win. I've got a Roku and I've been letting the apps and channels do the best for me they can. It's the best I can do to keep up.

Cruisin Paul said...

Yes Peg, April is finally here but not yet in the 80's. LOL On April 1st funny day, I take out my Camero, my baby. Zoom, zoom. See ya then Peg.

Cruisin Paul

Julie H said...

I did that once, so far not arrested.

I think I'm allergic to spring since I've been a little bit sick all month. Thought I was over it but now it's back. ugh.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, so far I'm not arrested either. I hope you start feeling better!!
you probably had a cold and now its allergy season which is worse than a cold to me.

RO said...

Yay! Another firestick fan! I worked my way up from being a clerk to a Customer Service Director in the cable world and worked there for over 20 years, and even though I've been gone for some time, I still stay away from satellite companies. On the down side, I'm a tv/movie freak so I DVR stuff, watch movies and tv programs on Netflix and via the firestick. So don't ask me how I get anything done.(lol) That jury pool is so dang huge, I think the Jury Duty people are happy when people don't show up.(lol) Hugs and Happy Friyay! RO

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ro, there isn't enough content on the firestick. Shows we love like Brockmire on IFC we wouldn't be able to get. I LOVE Dish so I am biased. And no i don't work for them. I've had them now for 20 yrs. I remember 20 yrs ago when I could FF through programs and skip commercials and I was thrilled! Funny now because I think most can do that today. But 20 yrs ago it seemed like a big deal. How silly. Happy Friyay to you too!