Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The Cost to Clean

Remember the man who offered my hubby $25 to change a light bulb?
Well, we had another goofy one like that this week.
This man wants to pay $400 to just clean his bathtub.

The man thought the porcelain was coming off his tub.
It had never been refinished before. It was a new tub when he moved into the home 16 years ago he said. Can we fix this he wants to know? 
Does it need to be refinished now?
He told me it was peeling, it wouldn't just peel if it had not been refinished before. I was stumped. I didn't have an answer for this so sent Rick to do an estimate per the man's request.

Rick got there and took his razor knife and took off a good long ribbon curl of soap film.
He continued this for a 4x4 square. He called the man into the room. The man pointed to the tub and asked, what did you do? Rick said it is only soap film. Nothing sticks to soap film but more soap. It just needs to be cleaned.

The man stood there and looked it at. Then he touched the shiny square. 
He looked at Rick and said how much would you charge me to clean my bathtub? Rick laughed and gave him a sample of a cleaner he made. 
Rick told him how to use it. 
The man pushed his hand back and said, "No I don't want to clean it."
Rick threw out $400 thinking he'd never do it and that would get him out of this. Nope. $400 was a steal to this guy. Damn, why didn't he say $1000?

I was gobsmacked. Really? First a light bulb and now this?
$400? I would never pay that for someone to clean my bathtub. 
I would just be embarrassed. $400 for 30 minutes of Rick's time.
With a knife this only took 30 minutes. Quick $400 but now I wish he had been really greedy.

What is wrong with people? Too much money?
The light bulb guy didn't want to learn to change a light bulb in his table lamp, he just wanted Rick to do it and Rick took his money.
Apparently, this guy doesn't wish to clean his tub. 
Obviously, since it appears he has not done so in 16 years.

How do people not know they should clean their bathtub?
I had a guy last year call us to tell me his refinishing job no longer looked good and it was peeling. We were shocked. He was all cranky about our inferior work. So Rick went out there to see the issue. It wasn't failing, it was soap film build up and it was flaking. Rick did the same thing and made a big square. And the guy said, "yeah, that's what it should look like." Rick asked what he was cleaning the tub with since having it done. He said he hadn't cleaned it since having it refinished by us 10 years prior. He thought he didn't have to clean it anymore. OH MY GOD. If you repainted your car do you think you never have to clean it again? What is wrong with people? 
Rick left him the cleaner to clean it and he called back and wanted us to do it. Money was no object. We sent Gary back to clean his tub. He even tipped Gary for cleaning it on top of our charge. Gary laughed and called him a fool but he took his money happily.

Is this just having too much money or just our lazy society?

19 comments:

Linda d said...

Lordy, I am sure glad that cleaning is something I use to comfort myself when feeling out of control. I don’t make enough money to do it his way. It takes all kinds, doesn’t it?

Olga said...

The is pretty gross -- not cleaning the tub! Apparently not realizing a tub needs to get cleaned. eww. What must the shower curtain look like?

BootsandBraids said...

Sounds like phobias -- fear of cleaning bathtubs, fear of replacing light bulbs maybe. LOL. But I can't imagine bathing in a tub filthy with soap scum. How was the rest of the homes involved? Were they dirty and disgusting?

Mike said...

"What is wrong with people?"

Another chapter for your book.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Unless someone is disabled and can't crawl around on the floor to clean a tub, I'd say they are just ignore or lazy or both. I have a service coming to power wash my entire house for $400. Rick did well to get $400 just to clean a tub!

alessandra said...

What is wrong with people? Indeed!
I just think they have the money and not the will, like if I had money I would probably hire someone to cook for me, or maybe not ...who knows ;)

Abby said...

Okay, are you refinishing tubs for drug dealers?? Where's all this clean-my-tub cash coming from?
Drug dealers who don't know to clean a tub? I can't imagine what it looked like after 16 years!

Cruisin Paul said...

Amazng,amazng, amazing. You wonder about people and what they do for a living. Well done Rick. See ya Peggy.

Cruisin Paul

bluzdude said...

My indicator to clean the tub is when stalagmites start to appear.

RO said...

I'm almost speechless - almost(lol) because that's hard to do. One thing I'm super anal about is a clean bathroom, so I literally am cleaning with bleach, shower cleaner, toilet cleaner and Fabuloso all the time. This is super hard to imagine, but I had a friend who would rather clean the refrigerator than her bathroom, and left that chore to her hubby. Kudos to hubby for finding such a well paying for 30 minutes. I need to start hunting for people like this around here. (lol) Hugs...RO

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I forgot to mention we used to have rental property and have had to clean tubs like you're describing. Some young people really don't have a clue about how to clean stuff, others are just pigs.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, I think many are pigs. Every time I say the house is a disaster Rick says oh no, I've seen a disaster. Trust me my home isn't perfect but it is nothing like this stuff.

April said...

Ok how did I miss a post about the light bulb?????

What is Rick's special cleaner????????????????????????

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

April, I don't know how you missed that. Funny isn't it? A milleniul that told Rick he didn't know how to change a light bulb. Rick thought it was a joke. Then when he realized he was serious he thought it must be high. Rick being tall and this young man short. But nope, it was a table lamp. funny huh?
He made something called Eliminator. I don't know what the ingredients are I just know it works and it stinks. I hate the smell when I use it. It was the only thing that would clean my fiberglass shower pan. I also used it on our fences (plastic) to remove the stuff even the power washer didn't remove. It will stain stainless steel and chrome but if you don't use it on those you are fine. :-) Yes I found this out the hard way.

April said...

So you can by it at the store????

Toni said...

I was in property management for several very, very long years. There were times when I would have paid $400 for someone to clean a tub or $1000 to blow it up!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Toni, sometimes Rick will text me a photo and I am so grossed out that if my bathroom looked like that I would blow it up or pay anything to have someone do it for me. A hazmat suit for sure!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

April - www.easy-restore.com
click on eliminator.

Julie H said...

Send me your cleaner lol