I love old movies.
As a kid, I would come home from school in the winter and watch an afternoon movie in black and white. There were these series that I loved called The Dead End Kids.
I think that was from the '30's.
I got such a kick of those when I was very little.
As I grew up the trend continued. I happen to love movies from the 40's and 50's. Adam's Rib is one of my all-time favorites. I loved Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. But I also loved Gregory Peck, Claudette Colbert and so many more.
One snowy winter afternoon when I first moved in with Rick he came home to me watching A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
At the commercial, I told him how I loved this book as a kid.
He just said, "But it's black and white"
"So was the book, Rick" was my reply.
He didn't find that as funny as I did.
He acted like black and white made a difference.
He sat down and grabbed some of my popcorn and watched it with me....for 10 minutes. Then he said, "I just can't do it Margaret"
He got up and left the room. Good, more popcorn for me.
When I got married the first time, my first husband would laugh at me when he saw me watching those ole black and whites. Or as he called them, "hat movies"
He would walk into the room and say, "Ah, not another hat movie"
To which I would reply, "Better than men in skirt movies"
That was our running joke.
All the men and women wore hats he noticed in the ole black and whites that I loved. I hadn't really noticed that until he said it to me and sure enough they always had on hats. I thought surely it was just some, but generally, they all did wear a hat at some point in the movie.
Especially the men.
He liked those stupid gladiator movies and so I ripped on him about men in skirts.
I remember the original movie called A Star is Born.
It starred James Mason and Judy Garland, all in black and white.
I did not love it but I saw it. It was not memorable for me though.
Then in the 70's my best friend Susan and I went to see Kris Kristofferson and Barbra Streisand in what was at the time the newest version.
I saw that movie version more than once. Yes, I loved it.
I bought the album. I think I was all of 20 at the time.
I thought it was by far the best version of A Star is Born.
And Kris Kristofferson was hot to Susan and I and that didn't hurt movie sales I am certain.
When I heard Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper were making another version I thought that sounded like a very bad idea. I mean c'mon who can top the Kristofferson version? In my mind, no one!!
Well, until I saw a couple of trailers.
Now I want to see this.
I wish Susan lived closer to me than 6 hours by car.
I think it would be such fun to see this with her again. We were so damn crazy about that movie. We were roommates at the time as well. We went from the movie to the record store and home to put it on the turntable.
Oh my God we're old.
I saw an interview where Bradley and Gaga said there was no lip-synching at all in any scene. He claims he couldn't sing and worked long and hard for a year to get as bad as he is. I saw this and did not think he was bad. We all know Stephanie, "Lady Gaga" can belt.
Even though I know how it will end. Even though I know there is going to be trouble and what that trouble is, it still makes me want to see this version.
Anything to get me away from politics. Anything.
11 comments:
I did not know that "A Star is Born" from the 70's was a remake! Kris Kristofferson was yummy in that. I don't particularly find Bradley Cooper yummy, but Lady Gaga is so good, might have to see this. It would be great if you got to see it with Susan.
"Hat movies" - good description. We had a black and white TV when I was growing up, so everything was black and white, including books!
Now the movie is on my list of must sees. I loved the Kristofferson version, didn't know there was one before it. I'm not fond of Black and White movies. We have a theater here that shows them so you're definitely not along in your love.
Abby - We too had a black and white TV for most of my childhood. Then finally we got a colored TV and you would have thought it was something mighty special because my cousins and aunt and uncle came over to see it. Funny now.
Jean - I'm so old I knew the old version. Not a fan of James Mason or Judy Garland so that version did not please me. But Kristofferson, well he...err I mean, that was just sweet.
Love, love, love old movies. One of my favorites is Quiet Man with John Wayne. Any Katherine Hepburn movie, with or without popcorn, is a treat!
Toni, well we agree on old movies, but not J.Wayne. :-)
I can remember my dad coming home with our first, a used Sentinel, B&W TV. That was a while back.
I didn't know there was a remake with Lady Gaga. I didn't know the original starred Judy Garland either. I need to pay more attention,
Mike - boy you're old. :-)
Olga - Actually there were 4 total. One in the 30's. Then in 1950's was Judy Garland/James Mason. In the 70's Barbra S./Kristofferson. And now this one. I forgot about the 30's one because I had never seen it. I have not been to a theatre to see a movie in over 4 years. But I know my old movies. :-)
WOW! I want to this movie. I like Gaga's voice.I didn't know that Bradley could sing. See ya.
Cruisin Paul
Wow. I'm glad you posted this. I've been resisting the thought of seeing this because .... how can you beat Kris and Barbra. That movie was one of my all-time bests. However now that I've seen this trailer, I think I'm going to see it.
I haven't seen any of the versions. I'll have to watch the trailer when I'm not in cube land lol
Post a Comment