Friday, June 29, 2018

Leave it to Beaver

All of a sudden I noticed a channel that was new on my guide line up.
It is all old shows. Leave it to Beaver is one of them. From the 50's to the early 80's. Wagon Train to My Three Sons. 

I know I've told you all here before that I love Leave it to Beaver.
Every morning at 8am now I try to watch 1 of the 2 episodes.
It sure beats the news.

My mornings are a swirl of activity beginning from 5:30am. 
Walks, getting Rick out the door and all that entails with his lunch and work orders etc. 
Usually, I am then cleaning up the kitchen or straightening things up before work.
Most days by 8am I am having a 2nd cup of coffee. I like this time because Rick is gone, Izzy is laying down and I have a full 30 minutes before I must be at my desk. More often than not I just go to work. But I have decided this past week that I am taking this 30 minutes for myself. I sat down in Rick's chair with my coffee and just enjoyed the peace and quiet of the house.

Then the next day I decided to do it again. But this time the TV was still on with Rick's Today Show.  I quickly grabbed the remote and saw this new channel with all old shows.  Leave it to Beaver jumped out at me. I just had to.

How did he get that name anyway? 
I thought I had seen every episode yet that I do not recall.

Anyhoo, here is something I never noticed before.
How darn thin June Cleaver is. Oh my. A size zero.
Her waist is so teeny tiny. I hate the way she defers to Ward but it was 1959.

With the exception of Judy and Eddie Haskell, the kids are nice and respectful.
How odd right? 
The respect and manners of the kids would be awesome today.

I watched a show yesterday when they were told to go play outside.
Okay, mom as they grabbed a cookie and ran outside.
No one does that today. Sadly enough.

But when Beavers friend Larry Mondello (sp?) was bad, the mom brought him over to Mr. Cleaver for discipline because his father was out of town. So the poor little woman couldn't even discipline her own child in 1959? What the hell was that about? The saying "wait until your father gets home" wasn't even good enough it had to be done then with another MAN. How damn weird is that? I imagine since it was from 1959 that was typical. I don't know, I was only 3. But I sure was disciplined by my mom so I don't think it was like that in our house. 

I love so much about that time except of course the racism, the fact that women barely had rights and that the man was considered so damn superior. 
We all know that isn't the case - look at our orange delusional leader?
Superior? Hell, he is dumb as a box of rocks and is only superior to say, a slug ...perhaps.
Overall it just makes me happy this silly little show.

This channel also shows old episodes of WKRP in Cinncinati.
But the music is off. I read that they couldn't use the real music used during the original show because of copyright issues. So what they throw in its place is all wrong. I find it distracting. But if they ever replay the Thanksgiving episodes when they gave away free turkeys from a helicopter I will still watch.
One of my favorites.
"As God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly" is a line that cracks me up every time. Any of you remember this? 

I have found watching Leave it to Beaver in the morning is a far better way for ME to start my day than any news shows in the morning. I don't care for the news anymore and I certainly don't give a rats ass about a Khardasian. 
Since that is pretty much all they talk about I am better off in 1959 to start my day.

9 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

The '50s was great for white men. I don't really remember that show as having had music in it at all. Back then, they didn't depend on it to take the place of good dialogue like they with today's TV series shows and movies. What I remember most about it was June's ever present pearl beads and high heel shoes and you can tell the 'Stepford Wives' dresses were copied after hers. Glad it is giving you a break from the present reality. When I need a break I go to Hallmark for a few romances I've seen a million times.

Mike said...

It took me awhile to find this...

Origin of the name Beaver
It is during the course of the last episode the viewer learns how the Beaver got his nickname. In a 2006 interview, Jerry Mathers, stated that series creator Joe Connelly, had a shipmate in the U.S. Merchant Marine named Beaver and simply liked the name. It was not until the finale that the writers invented an explanation for the nickname; i.e., as a young child, Wally mispronounced Beaver's given name - Theodore - as "Tweeter" and this become "Beaver." Mathers opined that after 6 years and 234 episodes, the writers could have come up with a better origin story.

Pippa said...

OMG, I just cracked up when I read that line "As God is my witness..."because I immediately flashed back to that scene. Hilarious!! I'd love to see WKRP again, wonder if it's on here in SLC. I love Leave it to Beaver and other shows from around then which is confusing to me because I really hate how oppressed everyone but white men were back then. I certainly don't want us to live in that time again and we will, if we don't stomp down tRump and his supporters. Conflicted for sure. I also loved The Patty Duke show, several years ago I used to watch the reruns in the morning before work.The funny thing is all or most of these shows were either before my time (1963) or at least before my consciousness of them, so maybe I love them because it reminds me of my childhood and teenage years watching the reruns? Sigh. I don't know but whatever the case, you're right...it beats the news.

Olga said...

I get that channel with all the old shows when I am in Florida. Fortunately for me, in the actual '50's, my mom was a strong role model. She wouldn't have ever called herself a feminist, but she was definitely ahead of her time in that regard. In fact, I used to worry that my mother was not anything like June Cleaver or Donna Reed, but I appreciate her so much now.

I loved WKRP and remember the turkey give away well. Made me giggle to think about it just now.

I turned cancelled cable when I left for Florida last January and I have not bothered to turn it back on. Best for all if I just avoid news as much as possible these days!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, there was no music in Leave it to Beaver. I was referring to WKRP in Cinncinati.

Mike - well thanks I think. What a dumb reason. Jerry Mathers was right after 6 yrs they could have done better on that back story.

Pippa - I LOVED The Patty Duke show. They walked alike, they talked alike, what a crazy pair.....

Olga - I had a mom who was both. Strong and independent yet June Cleaver and no career. But oh how she wanted one. I was lucky! My 2nd mom who came to me after my mom died couldn't have been more weak and dependent. Total opposite from my real mom. To this day she is helpless and waits for things to happen instead of making them happen. I am thankful I had my mom because I see the difference in my "new" sisters.

Barbara said...

I remember seeing that episode about the turkeys.. Still funny after all these years. I think Beaver is a great way to start off your morning with no anxiety from watching the news or maybe I should say aggravation.

Abby said...

I loved watching "Leave it to Beaver" as a kid! Plus, I had a major crush on Wally...

I haven't seen the show in years, but I'm sure it would be strange to see the cultural norms of those days. June in her dress and pearls and teeny waist, for instance. A lot of things are better now, but those days had their merits.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby didn't all the girls have a crush on Wally? :-)

Julie H said...

I used to watch reruns of both. I always remember when mr cleaver was fixing the toaster cord that Mrs cleaver ruined from unplugging it the wrong way and how much that annoyed me lol. Probably when I was old enough to realize wtf you dick, at least she made you some effing toast.