Here is another good reason working from home is great.
We are entering the 4th of July holiday.
Today is Friday and most around these parts either telecommute on Friday or are off on Friday.
My Fridays are always slower than any day of the week.
I have always found it very interesting that people will call me from their office but when home they usually don't.
So are they working all that much in an office anyway? Hmm....
Today is even slower than slow. It's the day everyone is heading to the shore or a lake or some vacation to begin their summer and/or 4th of July Holiday.
So instead of some boss all over you while you are trying to look busy.
I don't have to look busy. This is a time to catch up or fool around.
I am in the mood for the latter.
Rick is working a block from home. He was working there yesterday and again today to finish up. He is doing their kitchen - for free.
Rick has been working on this for almost one year.
People were asking us to paint their cabinets. We don't do that.
But the request was so frequent that Rick felt it was something we should begin.
But he wanted to have a different angle and not regular paint.
So the chemical geek I am married to went to work.
He found that it can be done using UV coatings.
Cured with a UV light and boom - your cabinets can be used and touched immediately when he is done.
Okay allow me to put this in girl speak - I'm not talking down to you, but having to explain it the way I can understand it and hopefully, you do too.
Have you ever had your nails done with the UV light?
You know, gel nail polish?
Have you ever had a crown where the dentist puts that little blue light on it to harden/cure it?
It works like that.
Nail polish is nail polish but gel nails is an actual nail polish (or coating) that only dries if under a UV light. It hardens the polish so you can use an SOS sponge in the kitchen or run your nails through the sand and it won't come off. And ladies if you have had a gel manicure you know what a pain in the ass it is to take off. It is not easy!
Same with this new UV paint for cabinets.
Rick will do all the prep work. Then this is sprayed on just like paint.
Then the handheld UV light goes over the cabinets and just like that they are dry and cured.
The same is done on the cabinet doors and drawer fronts.
All this is done in the home. (I'll have photos as things progress)
Rick needed a kitchen that has not been painted.
Also, the cabinets could never have Murphy's oil soap used to clean them as well (won't work, the oil does something that I don't recall)
Our neighbor a block away was saying she liked my cabinets that painted a few years ago. Rick said he would do her kitchen for free (small anyway) if she would get 3 estimates from local well-known cabinet painters and what it involved.
That helped us immensely. So he is doing her kitchen this week.
This also helps Rick see what he may need to change, tweak etc.
Rick tends to be a bit anal retentive about his work so this is good for him to get this one under his belt.
Normally he will have a guy doing all the grunt work and he just sprays.
But he wanted to do it all from step 1 to final so he could tell an employee how and why. He felt that was important.
I can't wait until it's done to see this. I wish I hadn't painted my kitchen now. This is far superior and you can't go over the painted cabinets with the new stuff. Trust me I asked.
Rick made the mistake yesterday morning leaving for his job down the street from our front door.
Normally when he goes to work he leaves out the back door to the garage etc.
But he had his vehicle down the block already. (the homeowners are on vacation) So he walked out the front door and it drove my dog bonkers.
Izzy knows when it's the back door he won't be home until 5ish. But the front door means a quick trip to her.
Izzy sat by the front door all day because if he goes out he comes right back. Where is he?
It was crazy. She went to the front window looking for him and pacing.
So this morning I told him to go out the back door and walk to her house that way so I don't have to deal with Izzy's obsessively looking out for you all day.
He did and Izzy is asleep. To her now everything is right with the world.
Dad is at work and that crazy woman is typing upstairs.
6 comments:
I hope you're enjoying your slow Friday.
P.S. - I found your blog because I saw your comment on Confessions of a Grandma. I loved your comment so much that I just had to come over and check out your blog!
I've seen cabinets done with the UV light. They were impressive! Hope Rick likes the process and the profit margin. Can't wait to see your photos. Have you checked to see if there are any health concerns being exposed to that light? Can't be worse than the tub and shower stuff he uses.
Izzy and all dogs are SO smart. When I tell Levi, "I'm going to be gone a long time today" he gives me a dirty look and slinks off to his favorite chair. When I tell him, "See you later" he knows I'll be back in less than two hours and he acts differently.
Interesting that you phone calls are lower on Fridays when workers in the area are off. Gotta mean they are calling on their boss's dime.
Angela - oh dear. I hope it wasn't what I'd have done as a waitress. :-) I am a snarky bitch aren't I?
Jean - he does have to wear protective clothing and it kind of looks like a welders headgear. Funny. But I think the chemicals that are used in refinishing are far worse.
And that was my point, Monday being my busiest day while they are at the office. When at home they barely call which makes me think they may not be working that hard. It's been like that from the beginning.
Smart dog you have. I think it is amazing how smart some dogs are. Dogs just make me happy.
BTW Angela - where is the body of water on your header. Gorgeous!
Izzy is a Daddy's girl. It is so funny how opinionated pets can be.
Lol on the dog! I need a whole new kitchen
Post a Comment