Monday, February 12, 2018

The Big Bad Flu

Originally I was to drive north Thursday night after work for the weekend.
It is my fathers 90th. I just couldn't do it with one eye right now.
Rick couldn't go so I called my mother to tell her. She was very understanding thankfully.
Then I heard they had another snowfall. Honestly, they may never see pavement until June at this pace. They just hit a record of 152.1inches of snow. God love 'em I couldn't do that anymore.

I think my Dad's birthday party went off without a hitch. I called him and I told him who I was and then he did his, "Hey Peg!" as he has done on the phone with me for years. I asked how he was feeling, he said tired. He tells me that all the time. I guess if you live to be 90 you are exhausted huh?

I asked if he had a nice party and he said it was nice. I asked if he got a lot of sweets. (my father loves his sweets, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree) He said, I think so. So I could tell he was tired even though it was the middle of the day and he just wasn't as sharp as he can be. I told him I loved him and I would see him when it thaws. He laughed and said okay sweetheart and that was that.

Here is the birthday boy. I sure wish I could have been there but thankfully he won't remember it and when I see him I will bring him some dessert and we can celebrate then.

When I was very young, before my mom died, my mom would make desserts every Saturday. If there was one piece of pie left, heaven forbid someone get it and it not be my father. She made these awesome strawberry pasteries with a frosting. You know that powdered sugar and milk type frosting on a pastry. Similar to any round strawberry pastry you'd buy at a bakery. My father loved those with coffee in the morning. There was one left one Satruday morning and I knew not to even ask. Apparently my father saw me staring at it and he said, "want to share this with me?"  He poured us both a glass of milk and we sat at the table eating the last pastry. God how I loved my mom's baked goods. 
When I got a new mom, she bought them. Not the same but that didn't stop me from eating her Entenmann's. 😛
_____________________

Saturday Rick had to work. We are down a man and the new man doesn't start until March. So off to work he went. While bent over this guys tub he began to get nausous. Then he vomited in the bathtub. Great. Thank God he is alone and he could clean up the room.   He said after that he was in a fog. He told me it felt like he was hit with a strong wave and now he was sick and really sick. He said he barely remembers doing the bathtub. He and the man looked everything over. The customer gave him his credit card. He swiped in through the phone and the man looked it over and signed it.

Thankfully we have a notification on the app to notify of a purchase over a certain amount. I got the notification on my phone. I ran upstairs to the office and saw that the man was charge $5,355.00 too much. Oops. I immediately called Rick. He was outside standing by his van vomiting. So neither the customer or Rick noticed. I immedateliy refunded the customer the proper amount. 

In the mean time Rick is heading to the ER by our home. I told him I'd meet him there. I called the customer and explained that I got a notification that he was over charged. He said I didn't notice are you sure? I have already refunded it less the amount you actually do owe. I sent a receipt via email as well as on your phone. I also sent a copy of what Square sends us about the refund. He again repeats that he did not notice am I sure. I say, I am certain. 

I explained to him that we never got the money so this should be a quick refund for  you but since Monday is a bank holiday it may take an extra day. Square must tell us that it will take 2 - 7 business days. In our experience it is much faster, but again you should speak to your bank.  He thanked me and I thought that was the end of that topic. 

I met Rick at the ER. He indeed has the flu. He was given tamiflu. Boy that hit him quickly. He was fine when he left for work. And yes, he and I both have had the flu shot. Because of his kidney disease he can't be on this for the normal length of time. The dosage would be adjusted for him. They recommended that I begin it immediatleyas well. Great.

Rick went home and I ran to the pharmacy to fill his Rx's and get him some ginger ale. I dropped the dog at my neighbors while I was at the hospital. I picked her up on the way home and brought Rick all his drugs to begin. 

I then went to the office and felt I should let this family know that Rick has the flu. They were freaking about the paint in the house for their 18 month old. Every conversation was "the baaaby"  I discussed this with the doctor at the hospital. He said it would be good if I did let them know he was exposed to the flu. Yea, that is what I thought I should do I just dreaded doing it. They were such pain in the asses. But I should do what I would want someone to do for me. So I made the call.

I indicated that Rick began to feel sick at their home so he went to the ER. He does indeed have the flu and we felt we should alert you so if you wish to call your doctor and deal with this accordingly. Nary a thank you, gee that was nice, just 'When are we getting refunded?'  
Oh for the love of God. No good deed goes unpunished. 

I wanted to scream, hey you big dufus, you signed a document saying that was the right amount. It is 50% your fault. But instead I only state what I told him the first 5 times about being refunded. I repeat calling his doctor and I apologize for the 100th time.

Then his wife calls back. ABOUT THE BAAAABY. 
(reminds me of The Seinfeld show) 
I repeat the same things for the 101st time. Then she says, I am moving out. Okay you do that dip shit, move out. For the love of God the baby was not in the house and came back 2 hrs later. I give her all the technical information that should explain this to her. I explain it both ways, technically and dumbed down. The particals that would be an issue have been professional ventilated and even paint on your walls would linger longer. I listen to her rattle baby shit off. Then when she stopped I thanked her for her business and hung up. 

Now get this, Rick told me they were smokers. So apparently carcigons are fine for the baby to inhale just not these fumes. Yes, I am shaking my head as I type this. I don't understand smokers and their concern for their lung safety and yet they smoke. Do they not see the stupidity of it all?

This morning I came in to the office to a voice mail from the man who signed the receipt asking when he would see a refund on his card.

I did not call him back. I sent him another copy of his refund receipt to his email, his text and a copy of what square sends us. I also stated in the email to call his bank regarding his cards refund policy. 

I seriously doubt it will even hit his card. It was in a pending mode when it was caught. But who the hell knows. I am certain I will hear from him every friggin' day until he sees it. Nothing has been said about the flu so apparently that didn't bother them one bit, just being refunded. Which I understand, I too would want to be refunded but how many times much you ask me and see the refund receipt? 

Yea, it was a great weekend. Rick slept away most of it. When awake he downed juice, ginger ale, soup and last night ate a grilled cheese. He slept the better part of Saturday afternoon and evening and most of Sunday. He awoke today to being quite chipper and feeling good. 
He went to work. He is working alone in a home that is empty today. We figured that would be fine to do. The other jobs were rescheduled with some free things thrown in for the inconveniece. But as soon as you say the flu everyone has been nice about this.

I began to feel crappy Saturday night and wondered if it was all in my head or I was really getting sick. I wasn't going to take the tamiflu until Sunday morning but I decided to start it Saturday night when I started to feel awful. I am fine and it looks like Rick will be too. 
The hospital said he caught it so quickly and got on tamiflu right away plus having the flu shot would make this short. 
I guess he was right. Keeping my fingers crossed.







12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Margaret, I hope your father had a wonderful birthday, he sure looks great at 90!

I'm sure sad that Rick got the flu, but I'm sure happy that he is feeling better now, and I'm so glad that you're doing okay as well.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Your dad sure looks like a nice guy!

I'm sorry Rick had to get the flu like that and I hope you'll be okay. Smokers are sure in denial aren't they, about the harmful effects of their habit.

Toni said...

Wow! Talk about the "stuff" hitting the fan! Sounds like your fan was on high, too!

You father looks great. Happy Birthday to him.

I hope things settle down and your township stops handing out stupid pills to so many people!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, he is.:-) Smokers are funny aren't they? Several years ago we had a woman who was obviously smoking on the phone. When they got there she said she was moving out because she was afraid of what this would do to her lungs. The landlord let Rick in and they were shocked. She was holding her oxygen tank AND smoking. I mean to tell you why she did not blow up was amazing. She left and the landlord said to Rick, I think she's crazy. They laughed. But the walls were yellow from tar as were her bathroom tiles and bathtub which we were refinishing. It is always smokers who are frightened of the smells/fumes.I find that so fascinating.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Toni - I live in the DC Metro area - everyone is taking those pills. :-)

Mike said...

Now how does a guy that works in other peoples bathrooms all day come up with the flu? He should be getting a flu shot every week.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - so right. but thankfully he has never gotten the flu before. amazing right?

Silver in AZ said...

don't tell anyone I said this, but anyone who smokes in this day and age is just an idiot.

Sorry you both had so much to go through this weekend!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Silver, you are so right!!

Olga said...

Oh, your dad is a real cutie pie. Hope the fly precautions help!

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Sounds like your Dad is sweet inside and out...which is probably not due to the candy, lol.

But, OMG, what is with people? I get that they were worried that the baby might get sick, but I think that's a non-issue since he/she/it wasn't there when Rick was. So sorry for Rick though, wow that really came on fast. Hope both of you are fine and dandy by this next weekend.

Ami said...

SO sorry you're sick. I live in fear of catching Norovirus, personally. I nearly died five years ago. No joke. Ughhhhh.

You sure get some doozies for customers!! Of course the awesome ones never make it to the blog, you gotta write about the nutjobs. Kinda like me with my blog about all my kids. :-D

FEEL BETTER SOON!!!!