Monday, February 5, 2018

Weekend Things

I am so damn thankful that the Super Bowl is over.
If I had to see one more recipe for wings I was going to fly.
I had no skin in the game, I don't even like football so I just didn't care.

I did turn in to see the halftime show. Eh. Just made me feel old.
I did not care for it. But I am not their demographic.

I normally will never root for a team from Boston. Period.
But again, I don't follow football.
I know in baseball Philly fans are notoriously the worst fans ever.
Yes, I said that.
And from what I have seen this morning they behaved as normal, destroying property and starting fires etc. I don't get what that has to do with being happy your team finally went and won a Super Bowl. 
I never will understand that behavior.
Just so damn glad all this hype is over now.

I saw the last few minutes which was only seconds. I don't get the time thing with football. The clock says 34 seconds and that was 90 minutes. And they say baseball is too long. Please.

What I was really waiting for was the game to end so we could get to, This Is Us.
Knowing we were going to find out about how Jack died I was prepared.
Or so I thought.  Memories came over me like a slow wave.
When the mom had to tell her kids, I recalled how I found out my mom died.
I can't remember anything most days but boy I remember that. I was 13.
I remember how it smelled, how the room looked to me, what everyone was wearing and where they were standing. Yea, that never leaves you when you are a kid. Honestly, I suppose it doesn't leave you when you are an adult either.

This show kills me.  Rick had tears in his eyes, I was crying. Then he said, "I don't think I'd ever eat that candy bar ever again." 
That made me laugh. I think I would feel the same exact way. 
Sure glad I wasn't eating a peppermint patty when I was told. (favorite candy bar)
____________________________

I saw the movie The Gifted this weekend. 
Boy oh boy was that a good movie.
I am sure most of you have seen this. 
I don't go to the theater so until I see it on TV somehow I don't see them.

The little girl in that movie was so good. She moved me. I just can't grasp how she had the depth of emotion at 7yr old to do what she did. She should have been nominated.

If you haven't seen it I recommend it. Nothing blows up and it is not a fantasy or a comic book hero so I know movies like this about real humans don't get all the fanfare. But this movie was so good...to me and Rick anyway.
__________________________

CBS Sunday Morning is one of my all-time favorite shows, no matter the host.
This week there was a short editorial of sorts.
I related because I feel a lot like she does.
I know when I have tried to express my opinion on this blog about this topic I was yelled at. Literally, a person or two wrote in some caps. I could feel their outrage but they never wanted to hear the other side. That is okay with me. It's my blog and my opinions. We can agree to disagree politely. But the more we talk about this the more understanding there will be. Listening is action too.

Last week at the hair salon, my hairdresser brought this up. I cringed.
The woman in the chair next to me gave her opinion. It was the exact same as mine. Then my hairdresser jumped in. Same as mine, so I felt safe to say a few things and not be screamed at, only listened to. 
A young shampoo girl got in this too. She was somewhere in the middle. So we all discussed this as adults and it was so refreshing. I understood where the young girl was coming from even if I didn't agree 100%. I understood her. Then when my hairdresser said something the young woman said, "I never thought of it like that" So that was the eureka moment for me. "she never thought of it like that" Isn't that what the dialog should be? Listening, learning and not screaming your opinion? Or is that just what I think? All I know is it was refreshing to discuss this for once with women who mostly agreed but certainly not 100% agreed and still, no one was hurt during this dialog and we all learned something new.

Here is what was on CBS Sunday Morning.


My hair salon is very different than most. There is a building of many hairdressers in this building. Rooms are rented so the hairdresser has her own shop without paying for anything more than the rental space. Each has a door with the name of their salon on it. Each is decorated the way they want and feel comfortable. It is a very big place and it is such a smart idea that honestly, I wish I had thought of it. 

My hairdresser rents two of the rooms for more room. A wall was taken down for her to rent both spaces. It is just her and her intern who shampoos and does various things for her. I think it is an ingenious way for her to have her own business without buying a building, having to have huge overhead and employees. It is just her. She has everything she needs and now can make all the money. She has a small rent to pay monthly vs. a whole building to deal with. 

She told me that one week at her old salon she made a certain amount of money and then she shared what she got from that long week. That was the turning point for her. She felt she was the top producers in the salon, nominated and won for 5 yrs in a row best hairdresser for the area and she was still giving most of the money to her boss. So this situation works very well for someone who wants to keep their money that they bring in. It's pretty, it's comfortable and in all honesty, for me, it's closer. So I applaud her for making this move. I also applaud the person who came up with this smart idea!
__________________________________

And lastly, I saw on Netflix that they are now streaming the show Nurse Jackie. If you never watched this before when it was on Showtime I highly recommend streaming this one. We watched the very first episode again and we even said we forgot just how good this show was. If you are looking for streaming I highly recommend this one.

Happy Monday Blogger Friends.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Always like to watch the best couple of Super Bowl ads the next day on YouTube. Other than that, no interest, but good for you if you like it I say. If it makes you happy I'm glad - just don't burn down the City to show how glad you are.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, if you love your city I don't get the burning it down or the looting. I did not know you could see all the SB ads on youtube. So now for my lunch break, I will go view them. I only saw the one imitating Dirty Dancing and I found that cute.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I'm like Barbara above. I like to watch the Superbowl ads the next day. And I also don't get why celebrating a winning game is an excuse to do property damage. Just plain stupid!

The internet and especially Twitter makes it too easy for people to spout their worst thoughts before they've had a change to filter what they're saying and thinking.

Many of beauty saloons around here operate the same way as you're describing where the girls only rent their space and built their own client list. Where I go there are ten girls and several manicurists and the shop provides them with one receptionist included in their rent.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, what you are describing is similar but not quite the same. I have been to salons where they just rent the chair and give them money for supplies and front desk etc. This is completely their own. No other stylist with them. They do online booking, there is no receptionist and they do share a common waiting area if they wish to, with snacks and beverages but I just wait in her "salon". Like I said, I wish I had thought of it. I wouldn't be here right now. My toes would be in sand with sun on my face.

Mike said...

I've had Nurse Jackie in my queue for a long time. Other shows keep taking it's place to watch first.

April said...

I love watching CBS Sunday Morning too!! Yes I feel the same way!!!!

You need to find the Alexa commercial - it was good!

Julie H said...

I binged Nurse Jackie awhile back. It was good but she made me angry, which I guess was good right?

I haven't watched gifted yet. Somehow I'm off watching a series that is dubbed. The voices they give people are kind of hilarious.