Monday, February 19, 2018

Presidents Day

My flowers are all confused.
I see them rearing their heads out of the dirt and then they get snow on them.
It is 76 degrees, then an inch of snow 2 days later.
Then it's 45, then 75. Today is in the 50's and the next two days in the mid 70's.
Weird winter.

I have so enjoyed our cold but snowless winter.
I know now after living here awhile that this will mean a horrific summer.
To me, the definition of a horrific summer is very very hot and humid.
I don't like 90's and 100's and I surely don't like them before August.
But I have a feeling that this summer is going to be brutal.
I am not a fan of humidity and we don't get warm weather without that.

I love spring and fall. It's warm and the humidity is low.
I need to move somewhere like that all the time.
I used to think growing up on Lake Erie that our summers were hot.
I remember thinking August was unbearable. It was in the 80's.
Now that makes me laugh.
When I moved here after living in the pacific northwest I learned you could have 100% humidity and not have rain. I also learned I didn't like it.

Rick came home Saturday with flowers.
He was at Lowes and across the street in a plaza was a florist with a big sign saying spring is in here. He went in and came home with some spring flowers.
I love flowers. I had a friend visit and she is an empty nester and divorced and she had a bit to drink so she spent the night. I put some in her bedroom and she got such a kick out of that. I just think flowers make you happy, don't you?

Today is a holiday, Presidents Day. I imagine the bloated orange guy in office is golfing somewhere celebrating the holiday. Others are out buying sheets and bedding because of all the sales. Don't you wonder how sheets became a sale for Presidents Day? 

Me, I'm working. I find it a bit humorous that we get more calls when people are in their office perusing the internet than when at home. So you know you all are doing more shopping online while at work than when off hours.

This morning we had a young woman call me that has been emailing me. She had to pick up the phone to go over the schedule. She whispered the whole conversation. I had turn up my headset to hear her. I asked if she was at work, she said that she had the day off. I found it so odd. Maybe that is just how she speaks but it certainly sounded like she was trying to whisper.

While going over all the do's and don't I asked if there were any children under a year or any cats. She said no, she lived alone. I go over all that was necessary to discuss, leaving out the kid and cat issues. The whole time I am thinking, why is she whispering if she lives alone? It was the oddest conversation. I imagined a hot hunk was still sleeping in her bed perchance? Or she was just damn weird. The latter is more likely but it was fun to imagine that a hunk-a-hunk-a burning love was nearby naked in bed sleeping. Hey, I need some fun at work too you know. 



10 comments:

Julie H said...

You get the strangest people lol

It's COLD here today. Well cold by our standards haha. We don't get much humidity here but it does get really hot in the summer.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, I know I do! How do they find me?!

Mike said...

When you retire you need to move to Wisconsin and become a Florida snow bird.

Toni said...

My vote is she is just weird but my imagination is building a story that she has her ear to the vent and is listening to the people next door planning their next bank heist!

Move to Redding! We do have some super hot days, many summers with over 30 straight days of triple digit temps but the good news is the humidity is between 12 and 30%! Plus we have pristine lakes to swim in withing 20 minutes of downtown! Some winters we don't get any snow at all!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike that sounds like a plan, but I think I'd prefer upstate NY. Now if I could only get my husband to agree. I prefer he go with me. :-)

Toni, your summers are too hot for me. My Aunt was always trying to get me to Phoenix. She would always say something about the low humidity. I would tell her, so is an oven, but I don't wish to sit in there at 110 degrees!! But you do have some great lakes that my hubby would love to fish in that is for certain! I wish I could afford San Diego because I think their weather is perfection all year.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Maybe she wasn't all that young or she has lung issues. I can see why it's fun for you to guess personalities and backstories than have Rick check them out.

The guy in the White House wore his thumbs out today tweeting. He's falling apart, I think. I hope.

Olga said...

Both of my kids had early jobs taking phone orders for VT mail order companies. It soured them both on humanity. At least you can see some humor (or imagine a hot bedroom scene).
Have to say I don't mind humidity any more. Must be one of those things that changes with age. I like the way it kind of plumps up my skin.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Olga, that give me hope. I may see my skin plump up this summer. I will note that for certain!! Yes, if I don't make dealing with humans a sport of fun for me I will jump off a bridge.

Anonymous said...

You would both love the Finger Lakes area of NY. Lots of wineries for you and more lakes than you can shake a stick at for Rick to fish in. And, this year at least, they're getting less snow than Erie!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Brian, I agree 100%. It's this old fart I live with. I LOVE upstate NY so much.