Tuesday, February 20, 2018

I'm Not A Priority

A few weeks ago I shared with you that I wished to leave our payroll company since my rep left. The new rep didn't call for payroll for 2 weeks in a row. When I would call her she would not return my calls. The ole, I'm so busy.
To me, the interpretation of I'm too busy is you're not important enough for me to deal with right now.

If I told that to our little customers like a one bathtub person vs. a hotel that would be terrible. I would think we'd lose a lot of customers just on reviews alone!  So telling me you're too busy is not a reason, it's an excuse.

I told them I was leaving when I wrote the earlier post. Oh my, then all the people were calling me and making promises. They gave me a new rep in Greensboro who they said would be terrific. I really didn't want to make the change so instead of doing what I knew I should do, I stayed.

They gave me a new rep who's name we will say was J.
I have a new employee coming on board. I needed some forms.
I called J on Wednesday of last week. I called again on Thursday.
I left voicemails each day. I wrote an email on Thursday as well.
I called again on Friday and sent an email and copied in his supervisor this time.
He wrote back on Friday after that email - surprise - at 5:15pm.
Sadly I knew copying in his supervisor would get him to respond.
I walked away from the desk that day on time for a change so I did not see it until Saturday.
His email said, "I'm so sorry I've been so busy, I'll call you Monday."

Monday, he did not call. I called him in the afternoon. He was not in on Monday his voicemail said. I had already written an email to him and his supervisor asking for a return call or we would not have the paperwork in on time. Nothing.
At 4:30pm I called and pressed 0 to get anyone. I need this paperwork filed before this guy starts on the following Monday. I need a full week they told me.

I got a random person who offered to help me when I pressed 0.
She sent me all the things I was asking for. As soon as we hung up I had the paperwork. Then I got a call from my rep's supervisor. I told her I have been trying to reach my rep for 4 days.
She said, well he has other priorities. Pardon me? I was now livid but since they have my checking account number I was nice. But in my mind - I'm done!
I asked her politely, "Did I understand you correctly? I am not a priority?"
She said, "well you are small so you aren't our biggest priority."
I said, "Okay I hear you. Thank you for your time'

I hung up. I called my online banking service and got them to be sure no more monies were taken from my account from this company.  Then I wrote them and told them I was no longer going to use their services. Boy did I get a response quickly. I asked for the forms to make this cancellation official. I filled them out, scanned and emailed them back. I did not want to be charged for the coming month which would happen if not done promptly.

I got a couple of emails saying they could make this right. I ignored them.
And something in me decided to see if I was the only one who has had a bad experience with them. I googled the company and their reviews. Oh, my goodness everyone had a difficult time with them. 
A consumer affairs site came up and ooooh weee it was bad.
I should have done that years ago before hiring them.

I spent the rest of Monday looking for new payroll companies. 
I talked to 3 and did online research. I prefer not to do this all online only. 
Should an issue arise I need to have a contact. 
I know, I hear you, that is old fashion of me. 
But over the 3 yrs Gary was here, it was nice to pick up the phone or send an email and get an immediate response to resolve the problem .
(back in the days when Elizabeth was my rep that is)

I found a company in Maryland. They charge a bit more but there are no contracts and I hope to be able to make this work. 
They work in and around the DMV so it all works for us.
(sorry, DMV means The District, VA and MD)

I have an assigned rep once again so we'll see how that works. 
They advertise they are a small business payroll company. 
Their reviews were stellar. 
We will see I suppose. I do wish I understood all this stuff because it would save us money for me to do that too. But I can only wear so many hats. I am not a CPA and honestly numbers are my kryptonite. I just hate doing all of that and Rick doesn't have time to take it on either. 

There are these small companies that the internet touts as good and the one that got stellar reviews states on their website that they do not guarantee your work on your quarterly taxes. One of the companies was called Gusto. They got 5 stars.  Why would anyone use them?  Just to be sure I understood that correctly I called the number on the site and had to inquire. I asked if I understood that to mean that they will do our quarterly taxes but if they are wrong they are not responsible. She told me that was indeed correct.
Hmm...to me, that was not so good. I need someone to do my taxes and I am certain they are done correctly so I don't get into any type of tax debt as well as guarantee me they did it right. You know like H & R block or Turbo Tax when doing your annual taxes. I don't see how anyone would choose to do business with a company that isn't going to guarantee their work. For us anyway that was a red flag. Then again, maybe we're nuts. Or both. 

I will share the nightmare called hiring in another post. 
For now I am thrilled to pieces to get this moving. 
Someone new is starting and I pray he gets the hang of the job and works out.

Calgon Take Me Away!

14 comments:

Toni said...

Nightmare, indeed! I can't believe anyone would tell their client they are not a priority!

I bet the supervisor has a supervisor that is fuming!

Anonymous said...

There's a person my wife and I used to get together with that whenever I'd text or call him over for a visit, he'd usually postpone it for a later time letting me know that he's so very busy. Then when that time came for him, or him and his wife to stop by, he'd usually let me know that it's going to have to be a quick fly by seeing he's so very busy. It's as though I was always the last on his list. It's come to the point now that my wife and I have gotten so tired of his BS, that we've decided he's no longer worth our waste of time whether it's by his visit, or through conversation.

Mike said...

This sounds like what work life in the US is becoming for everyone. People at ATT that have been there a long time are just hanging on until they can get the hell out of there.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Toni, sadly I don't think so.I really believe companies just don't care about their customers anymore.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Lon, it hurts but you know you're better off without him in your life.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, I believe what you said to be true across the board. Sad isnt though?

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I know this is old fashioned, but aren't there any CPA locally where you can actually meet a local person to do your books and payroll? Don and I both had businesses and did it that way but then that was 17 years ago and a lot has chanced since then I suppose.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, these are CPA's and those 1 shop guys don't do this much anymore like you stated. We have tried. We met a man at an event who was a CPA and he had his own business. He said he had 3 people in his office. We thought great this sounds like what we need. He too would give us a rep to discuss our business etc and we would do things online. The cost of this small man's business was outrageous as well. I understood his overhead etc but it was more than double of anyone else. It's all technology and no people today. I sometimes think if I lived in a smaller market/city I may find one but we haven't had much success here.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, about 20 yrs ago or a teeny bit more when I lived in Erie PA we had a CPA who did all this for us. There was no online business at the time and it was quite personal and we liked that. My mom used her as well. Now my mom has to have my sister do things for her online because they have removed the personal touch as well. Sad really.

Ami said...

My daughter in law is becoming an accountant. She wants to find a small business to work for so she can help people personally.

Funny (not) how the world has changed.
Companies used to care about their customers.
I hope you left a review for the place you are no longer doing business with.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, on consumer affairs and the BBB and yelp. :-)

April said...



I do the books where I work but we have a CPA who does the yearly taxes. I can do it all but those!!! Self taught. Wish I could help. Did you ever look into QuickBooks??? They offer a payroll service I think.

Hope this one works out!

Julie H said...

That's some great customer service. A newer girl at work was "too busy" to help a customer that was in the office one day. That changed my opinion of her instantly.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, that would have done it for me too.amazing that people do this sort of thing.