Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Winter and Dogs

My husband predicts our winters every year.
He has been doing this for 29 of the 30 years I've known him.

When we moved from Pennsylvania to Seattle Washington it was a bit different for him. They don't really get snow as we all know snow. So he had to relearn a few things he would tell me. But by the 2nd year he gave his prediction and as is the case, he was right. I tease him that he is looking at the farmer's almanac but he doesn't always agree with the almanac and yet he is always right.
Poor guy has to be right about something so I give him this. ...tee hee

He pointed out to me that there are not a lot of acorns on the ground around these parts so far this year.
He is predicting a mild winter. I am fine with that.(mild as in snow, not temps)
I again hope he is correct this year.

Rick mentioned to Jackie, while our dogs were playing together, that we were going to have a hard winter one year. He was right on so now she asks him every fall what winter lays ahead of us.  
She stopped by the other day and the dogs played. I held her dog and said, "Oh Jackie Libby has sure lost a lot of weight." She informed us that they just brought a stool sample into their vet's office because she has a lot of blood in her stool and she is eating normally and playing normally but losing weight. 
That does not sound good. 

Libby is a black lab that is so funny and known in the neighborhood as the dog who will eat anything and everything. A box of See's chocolates, 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies, a tube of poison ivy cream, a $10 bill, a huge bag of those yellow fish crackers and the list goes on and on. 
My wimpy dog ate mulch and was hospitalized and almost died. 
Libby is a bit crazy as well as lovable. 

One day Jackie knocked on our door and said, "Can Izzy come out to play and help run off all this energy of Libby's? She just ate 2 dozen cookies."  
When she ate the poison ivy medication she was so thirsty because it was drying out her insides. That was crazy. She was drinking, drinking, drinking and Jackie was outside all the time with her because she too lives in a townhome with no yard, just a patio. There wasn't a lot they could do besides keep her hydrated.

Libby is 6 months older than Izzy. Libby is the first dog she met outside of her siblings when we brought her home. She and Libby are BFF's. 
Izzy and she play every day. Izzy walks by her house and when the family is not home Iz will go to the sidelights on the door and the two of them stare at each other and don't make a sound.  Their tails wag like crazy though. 
If Libby doesn't come home I know this not only will be horrific for Jackie and her girls but this will be a tough one on Izzy and the rest of us. 

And speaking of known in the neighborhood. I've told you many times how everyone comes up to me when walking and says, "Is that Izzy?"  C'mon there are over 30,000 people in the development how the hell do these people all know Izzy? Yes, normally it is a stacked blonde and they tell me they've met my husband. Gee, does he meet any ugly flat brunettes? Apparently not. My favorite is when I am asked if I'm the dog walker because this bevy of blondes all know Rick. I just shake my head.

Rick knows this guy JJ from him seeing Rick and Izzy at the ole swimming pond daily. He stopped yesterday as he is likely to do with his dog while Izzy was swimming to chat. His black lab is afraid of the water, some water dog he is. 
Anyway, he tells Rick that his wife is a nurse. She was talking to a patient who said there is a dog in his neighborhood who is like the community dog, everyone knows Izzy and loves her, gives her treats etc.   She talks to this man for awhile and when she went home told JJ her story. She asked JJ, "do you think this was the same Izzy that you talk about?"   JJ asked if her patient lived in this community and he did indeed. JJ asked, "what else did he say about the dog?" 
She relayed the stories. JJ said, "yep that is the same Izzy" 
So JJ had to share all of this with Rick. 

So our dog apparently is so popular that everyone knows her even at the Fairfax Hospital and we don't live in Fairfax. Funny huh?

10 comments:

April said...

That's so funny.

I guess Notch can be put in the neighbor's dog category! A few weeks ago hubs had our steaks sitting on the cabinet to "Breathe". He has done this before. Well a little while later I heard him in kitchen and went to see what he was into - yep - he had a filet and a T-bone!!


Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yum for Notch!.
Izzy the wonder dog won't even eat things on the coffee table. She will sit and stare at them and her nose will go into the air and she will sniff. But never once has she ever attempted to eat anything she's not supposed to. (except mulch) We got very very lucky April!!!

Silver in AZ said...

Izzy IS a wonder dog! She should run for President! Much good!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Silver, she is far nicer and better looking than what we have. :-)

Olga said...

I can't believe that dogs and other animals don't have thoughts and emotional lives as much as humans. Maybe even better thoughts than humans.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga - Oh definitely better thoughts than humans. :-)
Although I as her human would hope she would bite and harm a certain human who is orange and a very stupid man.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

It's hard to have a dog who eats everything in sight. I had one and we were in animal ER often. Izzy is such an unusual name. I can't imagine there ever being two in the same city, much less same neighborhood. I think my husband used to talk about the dog at work more than he talked about me. LOL Everyone knew him and his antics so I know exactly how you feel.

Mike said...

I think Rick needs to start taking pictures of his girl friends bending over and giving Izzy a hug. And then you can post them here!

Anonymous said...

That is funny. You should start a fan club for Izzy. Well, I guess she already has one. Isn't it funny how dogs truly have personalities. They can be as different from each other as people are.

A friend of mine had a great dane that ate a glove.

My husband forecasts the weather, too. In our early days, he came home one day and made his prediction. I only remember the gist of it, but it had something to do with squirrels "cutting nuts" early. I think that meant storing acorns.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bellarum - sadly I think she has a fan club. After I wrote this - last evening around dinner time I walked Izzy. A group of very young girls on bikes came rolling towards me yelling, "Izzy, Izzy" like 9 - 11 yr olds.
I was like, who are these girls?
They all stopped when they got to us and Izzy was so happy to give them tail wags, kisses and enjoyed their fuss over her. I asked who they were and where they lived. They told me they ride their bikes to the pond and watch Izzy swim and chase the turtles and fish. One of the little girls said she has a dog but he's not as fun as Izzy. Oh my goodness! I am so surprised about all of this - it does make me laugh.