Wednesday, September 27, 2017

GaGa

This past weekend we watched a documentary on Lady Gaga.
Now I am not her normal audience. In fact, before hearing her 2 hr interview on Sirius with only her voice and piano I never thought much of her.

The Sirius interview was terrific. She played the piano only, no other instruments at all. She sang and I realized she had a very good voice. I like the song of her grandparent's love story. Things like that. I was blown away with her voice. I am not a fan of techno dance "music" which is what I always thought she was until this interview. She took those songs I never would have listened to and she just sat the piano and sang them in a new way. They were beautiful as was her voice.

We had no plans on Saturday night so we were going through Netflix and saw this and thought we'd check it out.

Here are some of my thoughts on this doc.
1. Wow is it ever a view of narcissism.
2. I would not want this life
3. I agree with her take on Madonna
4. She is trying to fill a hole inside and I don't think she's winning. This sadly seems to be a constant search & it seems as though it will be for her throughout her life.

Fame is lonely for her. She complained about fame, how people look at her, treat her differently and the inability to just live her life. Yet everything she does is to elicit people looking at her and she brings on all this attention that she probably wouldn't get or even be noticed if she didn't.

She wears these costumes and puts the top down on the car and complains everyone is looking at her. Then dress normally and put the top up. No one would recognize you without your meat dress or headdress or the half dress and glittery eyes and body. It's so weird. She says one thing and yet does the opposite.

She lives in constant pain and that was sad to see. But she also is in pain and then has a masseuse who is there immediately to help her. She is constantly surrounded by people touching her, helping her, feeding her etc. She does nothing on her own. She said it was difficult to be constantly touched and then when the tour is over she is all alone. Hmm......

When we got just over 1/2 through this I was done. I didn't give a shit. She was annoying me.
I felt she was like everyone her age and honestly I'm old and they bug the shit out of me. The entitlement, the need to be looking at themselves 24/7, taking their photos, posing and those are the people who aren't famous. Rick wanted to keep watching it. He said it was like a car accident, he knew he should look away but he couldn't. So I saw the full thing but doing other things as well.

She did discuss her beef with Madonna and I understood it completely from her side. She's a bit rough around the edges and I found it a bit surprising for some reason. Know what I mean? She kept saying she was an Italian American from New York, you don't talk behind people's back if you have an issue with them. You confront people and say what you have to say and not have to hear it on the television. Straight up No Chaser you know? I got that.
Her words were just a bit rougher than I would say but the concept I fully understood and was in agreement!

I also found it interesting that she was high so much. She smokes cigarettes and marijuana and I would think this would affect her voice. She was completely stoned when speaking to someone about the Madonna incident.

This whole documentary made me sad. She just seems to be searching for some love and acceptance with everything she does. She is over the top dramatic in so many ways and yet she is like an insecure little girl at the same time.

I wouldn't want to be young today for anything in the world. Oh, sure I would love to have my tits and ass up where they used to be but 30? No.
Now, I'd take 45 but not 30 or younger. I don't need to take pictures of myself every few minutes. I am not longing for fame. The money would be very nice but I would never whore myself like a Khardasian to get that money.
So it's very good that I grew up in the 70's. As I watched her trying to fill a hole inside of her it made me appreciate the era I grew up in.
She even said, "I want to be loved" But being loved by one person or her family was not enough. She needed millions to tell her her worth.
It is hard for me to comprehend someone with all this talent, fame, money, a very close family who love and support her, to not feel good enough. I feel bad for her but sure wish she would spend all the time she is taking pictures of herself in therapy.

I wonder if these young gals didn't have fame until they were fully formed emotionally and mentally would they behave differently?

I'd love to know if you saw this documentary and saw all of these things if you watched it.

13 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I didn't see the documentary but I did see a program with her singing opera with someone famous in that genre and I realized how truly gifted her voice is. All the crazy costumes might have got her noticed early on in her career, how do you keep topping 'meat' dresses and such? I can see why she feels unloved. She could feel like her fame is based on the skill of costume designers...people came to see her not necessarily hear her.

Mike said...

OK I put it in my queue. I don't know if I'll watch it though. We haven't been doing much Netflix recently. Were to the point of wasting 10 bucks a month.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, I agree with you. She was a very sad figure to me on so many levels. I felt pity more than anything.

Mike - not worth putting in your queue. We watch a great deal of Netflix and we don't go to the movies so this is worth it for us.

April said...

I know I almost died when I heard she was dating the hunk on Chicago Fire. She does have a good voice.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

April, you are late to the party. They were engaged but now they are broken up.

alessandra said...

I saw that the documentary was out and I thought about watching it, but haven't yet. I saw her on carpool karaoke and loved her voice and her personality but yes she has something sad about herself too, she is quite intense. I'm right with you about fame, I have never wanted to be famous even when I was a teen, I never understood the appeal of it.

Silver in AZ said...

Didn't see the documentary. She had a great voice, but I don't like her song choices. She's just not my cup o tea. Interesting what was revealed in the documentary!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Alessandra, I agree with you. I have never wanted to be famous. Rich, yes. Not famous.

Silver - It was an interesting look into the hell of fame but sometimes I think they bring some of it on themselves.

April said...

Oh I know they broke up!! I was very happy!!! LOL Now if he would just admit he lovesssss me!! LOL

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Her talent and personal troubles sort of remind me of Janis Joplin.

However, I agree with you that there is way too much focus on the self. Anyone who is on the stage that complains about their lack of privacy fails to see the contradiction......they thrive on the attention but then claim they don't want it.

The old adage "money doesn't buy happiness" comes to mind.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of Lindsay Lohan. So sad. Achieving fame at a young age is a risky thing. The spotlight is too hot. They are not ready for it. It warps their perceptions of reality. Shoot, I think it would be hard for an adult to adjust, but when you've never known anything else but "people touching you" and the public calling your name, it has to be hard to keep your head on straight. And they have all the money they need for drugs.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bellarum - I agree with the Lindsay analogy. The only difference is GaGa is very close with her family who don't seem so sick and dysfunctional to the point of Lindsay's parents.

UplayOnline said...

people came to see her not necessarily hear her.


เย็ดสาว