Monday, June 5, 2017

Uveitis

That is the name of all this hoopla over my eye.

I don't recall if I told you some of this so please bear with me.

When I had the CT Scan with contrast I felt a great deal of the pressure on my right eye diminish after taking 32mg of prednisone/steroid.

Because of that, I asked my husband if I could take a couple of his. (for his arthritis and gout) So I have been taking 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night. Yes, I know I shouldn't self-medicate but since no one has a diagnosis for me and I am in pain I figured, screw 'em. What are they gonna do, yell at me and tell me it's wrong? Sure I can take that.

Today I saw the original retina doctor and I am indeed not filled with cancer, nor is this a tumor or cancer of my eye. But just as I thought, inflammation from the dreaded Celiac Disease that can rear its head in this form.

Dr. B. today told me that they actually used my film of my eye in a meeting. When I asked why he shared that he said that most have never seen inflammation this size before. So now I am a science experiment as well as everything else.
I feel I should get paid since I am forking out money and or charging all this medical shit that I can't pay for. At the very least a discount.

I now have steroid eye drops that I must take 4x a day to get this gone.
After 4 weeks I must go back. Depending on where this is at they may need to inject.....yes, inject with a needle, in my eye. I made a face when he said that and he immediately said, "Oh I will make this so you don't feel it."  Yea, but I can see the needle coming at my eye is what I wanted to say but didn't.

This hopefully will go away. He said he has no reason to think it won't. But it can come back. But since I am older he thinks I may not have to deal with this again.

Now those are nice things to hear but I don't put a lot of faith into any of it.
So it could come back so next time I start having an issue, don't wait 8 months or longer before you see your eye doctor. It's almost over. Thank goodness.

In all honesty, I felt this was from celiac all along. I wish they would have listened to me. I understand why they had to test me for cancers but sometimes I think them telling me this only causes undue stress emotionally as well as financially. Even though I didn't believe with my whole being that I had cancer they plant that seed so it does rear its worry head. But I didn't need to have gone through all that. Hell, I got enough radiation from all those tests to probably kill me.

So here's to my steroid drops that burn like hell. They are a welcome pain so that I may soon have my right eye back to normal, which is 20/20.
What will I do now without a doctor's appointment or tests every damn day?
Oh yea, live!

12 comments:

Ami said...

I'm sure it's a relief to know what's going on and have a treatment plan to get it taken care of. I'm sorry about the medical bills, I do know what it's like to have a bunch of damn tests you (generic you) can't friggin' pay for. Our medical 'care' system in this country sucks donkey balls.

And as smart as you are, I'm sure you've looked up steroids and what they do to your adrenal system etc. Pay attention to how you're feeling.

And you have my permission to slap the next person who rolls their eyes at the whole GF thing. It *has* become the 'thing du jour' but that doesn't make it less real for the people who are really suffering with it.

Now that I've left you a huge comment, I can go. My work here is done.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Gosh I feel like I need to pay you too Dr. Ami. :-)
I do know about all the awful things steroids do to you when taken orally especially. We went over this shit today. It's all scary stuff. And it sucks to age. And I agree that the medical systems sucks donkey balls and it will only get worse until this numbnut leaves (is removed) office.
Yea, I recently had a twit eating a twizzler tell me she eats gluten free too. I wanted to smack her. She was eating gluten the damn twit! Of course, I mentioned that to her and she said, "Oh really" Yea and the likes of you is why people think Celiac is a joke.

Mike said...

Red licorice tears my stomach up. It's better than any fiber on the market.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

What a terrible saga you've been through. I'm glad it nearing an end and you have answers that are sound less serious in terms of treatments and life effecting than cancer.

Silver in AZ said...

Oh man, I know first-hand in the past 2 months how the potential fear of an imminent cancer diagnosis can eff with your psyche. I'm so glad it's been confirmed NOT.

That said, stop taking steroids not prescribed for you. You can get away with that on some meds, but steroids to the hell no. I say this from a position of CARING. :: hugs ::

Blogoratti said...

Hope you hang in there and stay strong always.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thanks everyone! I know this is going to be A-okay!

alessandra said...

I'm so glad it's not cancer, and it's true that you felt it, and all the bills, but at a certain point it's better to be sure about it. Cheers and hugs!

Julie H said...

TG it's not cancer though. My neighbor girl is going to UCSF on Friday finally for the tumor in her brain that is putting pressure on her eye. Can't help but think that could have been you too!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, thanks. I'm thrilled too. But now I have all these medical bills and charges on my credit card that I will be paying forever. Seriously, forever!

Barbara said...

I know the whole thing has been horrible but when my mother, who lived in a small city, had health issues they did not do all the tests they should have and she had cancer that could have been treated early. The eye thing sounds icky and I hate it for you, but I am so glad you don't have cancer.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, I'm sorry about your mom. That puts it in perspective, doesn't it? Now I can live for a long time to pay this off. :-) tee hee