I think Izzy has felt left out. With all my medical exams, tests and BILLS she felt she had to be included. So she too now has medical bills, tests, medication, and pain. Welcome to the club Iz, it's a bad bad club.
Yesterday Rick had the afternoon off so he took his fishing poles and he and Izzy head on down to do some fishing. Because she was not swimming she was pacing around the pond and whimpering so he would throw in her toy.
Rick gave up and put down his fishing pole down and grabbed her toy.
As she pushed off to jump into the water she let out a very loud yelp.
Not like the yelp of catching her tail in the door, he explained to me, but far worse.
Of course, Rick freaked out yet Izzy continued to swim away to catch her toy.
She is obsessed! Rick fell into the water a week ago with Izzy and ruined his phone. So he threw his phone from his pocket to the grassy area and tried to get her while fully clothed. That must have been a sight to behold.
When she got out of the water she collapsed.
She was whimpering and trying to get up. She couldn't.
He lifted her and put her in the car.
He went straight to our vet who works at a veterinary clinic that is also an ER for animals. Rick text me to let me know what was happening.
I called the veterinary office so they could meet Rick in the parking lot since she couldn't walk. By the time he got there she was shaking as he has never seen before. She would not get out of the car. (yes, she hates going to the vet and we don't know why they are so nice to her)
The veterinary techs finally got her on a stretcher and rolled her in.
In the meantime, he calls me to tell me to bring the leash. Ah, you have my car.
I can't drive your big work vehicle and even if I could you have the keys.
Just as I say this Gary shows up in the other company vehicle to give me his checks and paperwork for the day. I asked him to drive me to the vet.
Thankfully it is only about 12 miles away.
I get there and they bring me to the exam room. She looks fine but scared.
She is hiding under a chair and won't come out.
The vet is showing Rick the X-rays. Nothing appears torn, or partially torn.
It does show her arthritis. They gave us pain medication since she is "toe" walking on it after a bit. They felt she couldn't do that if it was a tear.
We are to monitor her, not allow her to swim, only walk to do her business and let her just relax.
After a week of doing nothing if she is not better, they will sedate her and do more testing. Right now she fought them too much so sedating her would be the next thing so they can manipulate her better.
I did see the X-rays and everything does look fine but she sure isn't fine.
There is no problem not letting her swim, or walk. But today she won't even walk to go to the bathroom. It is 11 am as I write this. She has not had her morning constitution which always happens at 5:30 am. She peed and then sat down outside. I can not lift 80lbs. So there I am at 5- ish in the morning trying to pull my dog home. She was only at the corner of my block. She wouldn't budge, then she just laid down. She looked at me like, "please don't make me walk" So I knelt down next to her and told her when she was ready we can go home. It seemed like we were there for a long while but then she just stood up and started limping home. Whew. I guess she just needed to rest before she could go on.
I wish I had a backyard that she could do her business in. My dog has not gone in the house before but I think we might be close to that at this point.
And heaven knows it will be like when she throws up - never on the wood floors - only on the carpet. Why do they do that? Last time she did it on the good wool carpet. Not my Costco area rug, oh no, that could be easily cleaned.
This is our gal now with her bed in the kitchen area. She couldn't make the steps last night to go to bed so we brought her bed to her. She can't jump on the furniture either right now so her only option was sleeping on the floor.
And with her arthritis, it is never easy to get up off the hard floor on a good day.
She is staring at Rick in this photo below.
She is giving him sad puppy eyes. Wanna guess who slept with her downstairs? Gee if I was hurt he wouldn't sleep downstairs to be with me!
I may need to start some sad puppy eye thing and get all this spoiling and treats that she has received in the last 24 hrs!
I just had a cancer scare and I think the only thing I got was asked if my life insurance was paid up. (just kidding, he's not that heartless)

10 comments:
Poor Izzy!
Get well soon Izzy!
I've very hard with our beloved pets can't talk and tell us what hurts. I feel badly for Rick, you and Izzy! Hope you figure out what's wrong soon. I'm sure they did at the vet's office but are you sure she doesn't have something in between her toe pads causing her to limp with pain?
Thanks Jean. Yes, that was the first thing Rick went for because he thought possibly a lure or some such thing. When she got to the vet, they looked at her pads and in between and no one saw anything. Also she lets you manipulate her feet without squirming which made me think that it wasn't there since she wasn't pulling away or wincing. It's like a baby and you wish they could tell you something. I just got her to poop. But she wouldn't walk back home. It was all too much to walk as far as she did. I had to run home, get the car and thankfully a neighbor saw us and sat with her while I drove back to get them.
:( :( :(
Oh, poor dog. It's so hard to watch them suffer.
man, when it rains, it pours! Poor sweetheart! (the dog, too.) From the description, it almost sounded to me like she stepped on something and injured the pad of one of paws. Hence why swimming was no problem, but walking is. Just a guess. I hope whatever it is clears up before you have more vet bills to add to your own med bills. :(
Oh geez, I am so sorry. Poor Izzy, it's expensive to have a sick dog, too. When it rains.....
Poor baby :(
Wow. What a mess. I hope it's just a little pulled something or other.
Post a Comment