Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Santa Claus

I am overwhelmed with work and work stresses and these holidays which I don't care for. Yes, if you are new here I am a big fat scrooge. I have a great disdain for this holiday.

My step mom and I were on the phone last night talking about a story that happened before she was my mom.  I was very young and my mom would have my sister and I leave Santa cookies and milk every Christmas Eve before going off to bed.

One year as my sister put out the cookies and I went to the fridge to get the milk my father came in and said that Santa really liked the pizzelle's (Italian cookies) the best and that instead of milk he liked beer and/or bourbon. My sister and I didn't think a thing of that. That is what I find so damn funny.

We ask mom to reach for the glass and my sister went to the fridge to fetch the bottle of beer.  We left him a beer and/or bourbon ever year after that while we believed in Santa Claus. "Santa" always left a thank you by the empty plate and glass/or bottle of beer and that made us so happy.

What kid today would do that? They are too damn sophisticated to believe that Santa would drink beer or a bourbon on the rocks.
It is so politically incorrect it makes me laugh.

When my mom died 3 months before Christmas it made for a pathetic Christmas. My Dad didn't get a tree. We were each handed a gift that was unwrapped. My sister learned then that there was no Santa. I was 13 and she just turned 10. She asked me about it after being handed this gift and my father had left the room. She asked why he gave us these gifts and why didn't Santa wrap them? I told her the truth. Double whammy to her. I feel so badly about that now because I was too young to understand I should not tell her this, especially at this time. I was too young to handle this properly. Instead, the poor thing has a shitty Christmas, our mom just died and we have nothing festive in our home. In my mind's eye, I just remember darkness in the house literally and figuratively. It felt heavy as well.

Today I don't think a 10 year would still believe in Santa, they are too old, but in 1969 this one was naive kid and she sure did. I have always felt bad that I ruined that for her. She said to me that she doesn't remember me telling her. I guess that's a good thing.

When Santa visits my house, he'll eat any cookies I put out but he prefers Tequila.


9 comments:

Silver in AZ said...

8 has always been the magical year. My middle grandson is 8; I'm hoping he still believes this one last year.

And see? You didn't traumatize your sister like you thought you might have (inadvertently.)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Silver - she claims enough damage by me for a lifetime of guilt. :-)

April said...

My son believed until he was 11 or 12 years old. I think a few out there still have kids that are older and still believe unless they are that politically correct people who don't believe in lying to there child regarding Santa, Tooth Fairy, etc. LOL

Julie H said...

haha love it! Well the first part. So sad about after your mom died :( I'm always shocked when older kids still believe in Santa. I'm like I think they are just pulling your chain! I was 7 when I figured it out and my kids were around the same age.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, I think today that is about the age. However back in the days of only 3 channels and no internet and everyone was so naive you were generally older. Don't know why that is but back in the 60's it just was.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I wish I could remember how I found out about Santa Claus. It must not have been traumatizing or I would, I guess.

Love your story about the beer and whiskey with the cookies. You're right, I doubt today's kids would buy into that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean,
I wish I knew how old I was at the time of the cookies/whiskey. I had to be like 7 or 8 because my sister could reach the fridge and I think she was 5. I don't recall when I realized that my parents were actually Santa but I think I was of the mindset that as long as I was getting gifts it was all okay. :-)

Mike said...

"...she doesn't remember me telling her."

You may have told me too. I don't remember.

Barbara said...

My Dad died Thanksgiving weekend and for so so many years I couldn't celebrate. Eventually I was able to rebuild my enjoyment of this holiday but when he died I was an adult with children the age you were when your Mom died. It was a lot easier for me to recover as an adult. I can see where that Christmas spoiled it for you forever. It must have been a terrible time.