Monday, November 14, 2016

Old TV

Aside from my blog we are having a social media blackout at home.
We also are boycotting the evening news. I am off FB so that helps as well.

We used to watch The Today show or GMA in the morning but now we have music or we laugh at Mad About You reruns from 7-8am. Laughing is a far better way to start our day. One morning we watched a show that we couldn't stay up to watch and laughed so much that Rick said he couldn't go to work this happy, it was all kinds of wrong.

In the evenings when we see someone orange or someone who is a friend of orange we change the channel. Do you know that all during election season HGTV and Food Network had NO political commercials? I am rewarding them with constant viewership.

One of  my favorite shows is The Affair on showtime. It's been off for so long that I can barely remember where it left us off. I hate when they do that.
Sunday they are replaying last year before the new one starts at 10p.
So Sunday will be like this - I will be making my famous popcorn, putting on my comfy clothes and binge watching tv.
I have such an exciting life, don't I? I'm looking forward to all this excitement.

Being the kind of gal who hates all that is going on in the world (pollyanna? typical Pisces? all of the above?) I have taken to recording some of my favorite shows that were just on Sundance channel. They did the first season on one day of Mash, then the next day Bob Newhart, then Mary Tyler Moore etc.
We watch now when we need to.

We used to play a drinking game with The Bob Newhart show back in the 70's. (college) Each time someone on the show says, Bob, you take a shot/drink. During one dialogue with his tv wife, she said it 10 times. I'd be out cold before the show was over if I were to do that today.

The Mary Tyler Moore show pointed out a few things to me.
While growing up I so wanted to live in that cool apartment and be Mary.
And her clothes, I coveted her clothes.
But instead, I was Rhoda without the hips. (I am an upside down Rhoda )
Watching it now as an adult in 2016 I found it annoying that they constantly talked about having to get a husband. Who did that in the 70's? Or maybe they did but as a young person in the 70's I wanted a career. A husband will come whenever, it was never a worry, concern, or any of the things they are depicting on the show. Rick said that because it was the first season and it was only  Sept. of 1970 that could be why I don't recall their urgency for a spouse before. Perhaps as the show progressed as well as a woman's right to do whatever the hell she chooses it talked less of such topics. They were complaining about being unmarried on the 2nd show. They were just turning 29 and unmarried.
To which I would say, "good for you, you've got plenty of time!"

I also noticed on MTM that all the women who wore dresses all had sleeves.
As a woman you know they don't make dresses with sleeves and if they do they look like something my Grandmother would have worn in 1943. When did this horrible trend start and for the love of God why did it start?

And Mash, geez it is just funny no matter what year. I have enjoyed the week of shows. And nary a comment about hate. Can't beat that, can you?

10 comments:

Mike said...

MASH is on Netflix now. One of these days I'll start a marathon.

Bilbo said...

Mission: Impossible (the original); Green Acres; and Harry O. How I miss those shows ...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Harry O? not familiar with that one. I can sing the full theme to green acres though. ah, all my useless info I have stored in this little head that serves no purpose.😆

Bilbo said...

Harry O was an old detective series starting David Janssen as Harry Orwell, who described himself in the show as "a left-handed nut with a left-handed thread in a right-handed world." I always thought that pretty much described me, too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bill, was David Janssen also The Fugitive? Like the description of Harry O, but do not recall this. Must have been before my time...tee hee

Silver in AZ said...

don't know if you get Netflix or not, but if you do, hook up with Longmire. Great series. And if you love laughing, watch Life in Pieces. HYSTERICAL.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hi Silver - Longmire is a western isn't it? I pass normally on westerns. What makes it so good? I may need to check it out this weekend and broaden my horizons. Last weekend we watched Kathleen Madigan, a comedian I love. I will check out Life in Pieces too. Thanks!! When I have my surgery I will be recouping I'm sure in front of the TV. :-)

Anonymous said...

Know how I used to get my last name spelled correctly? I'd say "like on TV. That Morganstern lady". Kept joking that I wanted to sue MTM for using my last name without permission. Then, in the small world category, MTM happens to be my FIL's 1st cousin. Never knew if she noticed the coincidence.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well that is a fun piece of trivia Brian!

Julie H said...

We didn't have cable for like 16 years and only a partially working antenna so we saw a lot of those shows lol. LOTS of rerun shows.

I'll have to watch Mary Tyler Moore. I vaguely remember watching it a few times (probably just on in the background) but it would be fun to watch now.

I've been watching The Crown on Netflix. Pretty interesting.