I've never been a fan of this holiday in the same way others are.
Namely the food.
I don't like turkey - it's gross to me.
I never really like stuffing either and that was before I knew I had celiac.
The only thing I really liked were the sweet potatoes and desserts.
Apparently, my mom didn't tell all my nieces I wasn't coming.
Have I told you how I love and adore all my nieces?
Yesterday one of them made my year. Yes, my year.
This girl is da bomb. Somehow she wasn't told about our surgeries.
I got an email yesterday from my niece with a recipe for a couple of sides. She asked if I thought those sounded good. Both sounded great to me.
I thanked her for the recipes. She wrote back and said, "No silly I just wanted to be sure you'd like them. I am bringing two sides for dinner at moms and I wanted to be sure you had something you could eat."
She was going to make me 2 sides that were gluten free. For me, her Celiac Aunt. Do you know how wonderful that is to me? No one does that for me. Ever. NO ONE. Not even a parent. To be included in the meal and to have someone be so damn thoughtful and kind made me cry and filled my heart.
Oops, my sister, Jennifer made me an awesome GF meatloaf several years ago when I was first diagnosed. I drove Rick nuts by talking about how nice this was to do just for me. She too is so thoughtful, beautiful and kind. And here I am doing it again. C'mon it's so rare, it must be appreciated and spoken about.
My 24 yr old niece was thoughtful and kind and thought of someone else.
What kind of millennial is that? :-) They are supposed to be self-consumed and be entitled.
For her to be so kind and thoughtful in this ugly new world of hate.
It made my heart sing.
Don't you wish there was more of this in the world?
3 comments:
I'm not a turkey eater either. It's roast pork for me.
There is a gal in my book club that has celiac. We all make sure she has something to eat when its at our houses. Although now she is moving :(
That is why I love Thanksgiving - my family. For some reason Thanksgiving lets me share my shuttered emotions. And I think those recipe suggestions are the sweetest thing. You are loved.
Post a Comment