Monday, November 28, 2016

Long Holiday Weekend

Wow, what a long holiday weekend I had. I hope yours was more fun than mine.
We did not have a thanksgiving at our home this year. Don't feel bad we didn't mind. Here is how last week went for me.

Tuesday - Rick's surgery
Wednesday - Caring for Rick, working 8.5 hrs, care for a dog with severe and explosive diarrhea that must be walked every 45 minutes.
Thursday - Thanksgiving - Went to the dog ER at 7am because the dog is vomiting along with diarrhea. Care for a sick dog, walk her constantly, recovering hubby doing better but....do we really have to eat a big meal? Who says?
At midnight I sat in a dark room as they both were snoring. I was oh so thankful that they were both doing better but I kept thinking that having my knee surgery would be good just to slow down and sleep and not deal with all that is swirling around me.

Friday as I am walking the dog who finally stopped vomiting and pooping every half hour Rick decided to bring in the rug that was outside drying. You see Izzy had vomited on it and thankfully it goes by the back door and can be rinsed off.
I hosed it down and was letting it dry outside since it was nice out.

Rick brought the rug inside thinking he was helping me since he was up and about. But he also lifted the sofa leg to put the corner under the leg. Guess who hurt himself. Honestly, when I came home and saw the rug there I asked him what he did. He said, "Well I'm feeling so good I thought I'd help." Yes, but lifting a sofa is not what you are to do after hernia surgery you numb nut!
I was so angry at him. He kept saying, "Oh I'm fine." Until that evening, then he was in pain. I can't even begin to explain the depth of my anger. But like a 5-year-old he did this when I went out so the adult didn't see him do what he knew he shouldn't do. 61 yrs old going on 6.

By morning he wasn't moving well at all. We were given a number to call if there were issues for his doctor or the doctor on call. I called the number and got his doctor and made him explain to her the stupid thing he did. She believed that because his abs "aren't working" right now he lifted with his back and pulled a muscle. She said to him, "Remember our discussion about lifting Rick?"  When he got off the phone he repeated this question above and then said to me laughing,  "Look she's a cute young thing with cleavage I didn't hear a lot of what she said."
Oh, you ass. I am angry and you are not funny right now!!
I don't get mad at Rick but I have to tell you this pissesd me off. In 30 years I have maybe been mad, like really mad, 3 times I would guess. But this is now 4. This was just so stupid. And now he is a whining baby of pain. Aargh!

So another day he can't walk the dog and I am washing floors, doing laundry, walking the dog, giving everyone (he and dog) their medicine, listen to them both whine, cooking etc. I wanted to run away.

Saturday as I walked Izzy for the 100th time I saw a neighbor friend putting up her Christmas decorations. I said to her, "Oh no, you're one of those!" She laughed and said how she loves decorating early. I laughed and said, "none for me especially this year!" So what does our little elf do? She knocked on my front door later that evening and showed up with a mini decorated tree. She said we had to have something. As you all know my standard is, "hey let's put a menorah in the window so no one asks why we have no decorations" But now we have a mini fake tree.

Sunday Rick was feeling better and so was the dog. Thankfully they both napped a great deal. It was fabulous. I cleaned bathrooms, cleaned the 3rd floor and did all the things I haven't done up there then made some food for us to have later and then took a nap too. Glorious.

So how was your holiday? I bet you had a bit more fun than I did.
Hey, at least it wasn't snowing. I have that to be thankful for right?

5 comments:

Ami said...

What a lovely neighbor!!

And MEN!! WTF is it with them???? At least you can get your man to go to a doctor. My man? Nope. I love him, but he's a pain in the ass.

Hope everyone continues to recover.

Get yourself a couple good books to read while you're laid up. :)

Silver in AZ said...

you have an amazing neighbor! and I'm sorry your husbear was a dumb bunny. LOL You need a break!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami - yes they are dumb sometimes aren't they?

Silver, I have great neighbors. We have been very lucky.
2 have offered to take Izzy when I have my surgery so I think that is what we'll do this time.
I'll be baking them cookies and bringing food I'm sure for thank you's.
I told Rick I will be baking all week before the surgery. :-)

Julie H said...

Well that is a sweet neighbor! I hate when Scott is sick. Sometime I get so angry! Poor guy.

Barbara said...

Poor Rick. I know he was in really big trouble. I had a similar thing happen once upon a time with an idiotic man in my life. I feel for you.