I debated whether or not I should share this.
Rick told me to just go for it.
This happened last Friday night.
I can't get this young woman out of my mind.
After work I went to the grocery store. Rick asked that I pick up a pizza from Little Caesars for him on my way home. I told him I would.
I walked in and there were a slew of people waiting. I was in no mood to sit there but I knew how much Rick wanted this pizza so I put in my order and sat my fat ass down.
All of a sudden everyone left the store with their pizza and it was just me waiting on mine.
A pregnant young woman came in and ordered hers. She looked exhausted. I think she had to be 9 months pregnant. She swiped her debit card for $5 and it was declined. I heard her say, "let me get another card" This one wasn't declined, but they were getting an odd message on the machine. This went on for a long time.
So he moved to the machine to his left that was right in front of me. She swiped it again and I heard him say something and I saw her look into her purse and look up at this man. Neither said anything. They just stared for a minute at one another. It was an odd exchange.
She didn't have a lousy $5 for her pizza.
I jumped up and whispered so only she could hear me,"I'd like to get this for you. Merry Christmas".
As I was putting my card in the machine, she slapped my hand and said NO. She began to cry and ran out of the store. I'm pissed at myself because I suppose I shouldn't have done that. But there were days where I would have appreciated that. I was just trying to help, not make her feel badly.
I have been in that position where $5 is more than you have. I guess she was embarrassed, but she shouldn't be. We've all been there. I wish she had allowed me to buy that for her. I can't get the pained look on her face out of my mind. I keep thinking I made her feel worse than she already felt. That is what is upsetting me. Hmm, hormonal and broke. Not a fun place to be.
9 comments:
As I was reading I was thinking you were going to buy it for her. You did the right thing. Maybe you should have said happy holidays?
That's a shame.
Aww man that sounds so sad :(
I like to think I'd have done the same as you did. It was certainly a kind gesture, but in her "pregnant out to HERE" condition, maybe her hormones wouldn't allow her to be gracious about it.
Please note - I've never BEEN pregnant, only had to deal with a pregnant wife. Hormones are for REAL people! Logic goes right out the window.
Brian - oh yeah, that's right. Even for men. When your testosterone drops you all become cranky bastards. Hence, why old men are cranky. :-)
Rick said that he bets her husband was home wishing she had taken the free pizza.
half of people being helped means letting yourself be helped.
we've most of us had broke-ass days and some kind person has covered us.
when you need covering, though, it can be hard to let yourself be seen.
still, good for you.
I would have done the same thing you did. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said hormonal and pregnant.
too bad she didn't accept your offer but you assessed the situation accurately. No explanation when hormonal.
I think it was a wonderful thing to do and if she had accepted it good have been a great experience for both of you. I guess she was embarrassed or maybe it was the end of a horrible day. I wish she would have accepted but I do not think you made it worse. I think it was a very sweet thing you did.
Post a Comment