We have begun a new game in our home of late.
We count all the commercials that are pharmaceuticals.
Rick started the clock at 15 past the hour. By 30 minutes past the hour, we had counted 8 commercials for drugs. 8 in 15 minutes. That is crazy! If someone hadn't knocked on our door and interrupted us we were determined to do this for an hour.
Are we really such a sick nation that we need drugs pushed on us like this?
In these 8 commercials, only 1 was for Cialis. Boy, it sure seems like more when we watch TV, but then it was only for 15 minutes. I'm sure they would have had another few if we continued.
The rest of the evening we were watching Showtime and HBO so there are no commercials, thankfully. If we watch network TV we are going to try this for an hour. How many do you think we'll count?
I find this a frightening and sad trend.
10 comments:
It's all about the money.
I just love when my kids are watching tv and they are talking about ED. Awesome.
I'm kinda disgusted by it all. Drug companies targeting patients, probably 90% of which have no need for the drug in question, who then can't even get said miracle cure without going through their doctor.
How about cutting the b.s. commercials, market to the people with the prescription pads and drop drug prices so folks don't need to open a second mortgage to have a happy weekend or prevent clots.
And I think I'll join you in counting ads tonight too. Had a history teacher once that said "uh" or "um" or some other filler crap so many times, the only way I could pay attention to her was if I counted them. She peaked at 120 in a 52 minute class.
I read recently that the US and one other country are the only two that allow advertising drugs on TV.
Because Mike we are run by the pharma companies and big business don'tcha think?
Hahaha. This is so true. Medical commercials abound. I wonder if prices would be any better if they didn't spend all that money on commercials.
I never watch TV but I don't think the UK show any adverts about drugs, fortunately, but yes when we are in the States and the TV is on, all you see are ads about medication and the side effects they may cause. This may cause internal bleeding, weight gain, nose bleeds, headaches and vomiting etc. etc. I think I'll just put up with my dodgy bladder thanks. Actually, I don't have a dodgy bladder but you get the point.
Big business.
LL Cool Joe - my favorite side effect is anal leakage. That one always makes me laugh when I hear it. I'd rather have the disease as you said!
We are a sick society in a million ways.
I guess we need all those drugs?
Post a Comment