Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Summer

It's cold here. Very cold. They used the words wind chill yesterday. I do not like those two words when put together. Today is better because it isn't as windy. But cold. Thursday will be warmer.(60 yippee!) 
I have to mentally prepare myself for this frigid weather. But in all honesty I am mentally somewhere warm.  I will be going to Florida the 3rd of March for a couple of days and the countdown has begun for me.

Why does this happen to people? Getting cold that is.  I never hated winter, loved the cold and used to be in it for hours without any issue. But today I just can't cope. Last night I was wearing double layers again. Is it aging?
Leggings, fleece pants over those, heavy socks and slippers, flannel shirt with a sweatshirt over top of that.
I look like the kid in Christmas Story who can't put his arms down. By the time I put on a coat I look 50lbs heavier and only a little bit warmer. Is this why retired people move to warm climates?

Sunday Rick and I went to Costco. Yes, we are brave to do that, thank you for noticing.
Rick saw a heated shirt and he wanted me to buy it. There was no damn way I was spending $80+ on a shirt that was heated. But I admit to you all that OH MY GOD IT SOUNDED WONDERFUL. But foolish to spend $80 for such a thing when I can put on more layers. Just think come spring everyone will think I lost weight after I unpeel the layers of bulky clothes. So there is a positive. :-)

Rick and I continued to shop, or I should say, I dragged Rick around Sunday and our next stop was the brand new store Dicks Sporting Goods that opened in the neighborhood. We bought ourselves some new wrap around ear muffs. Rick tried to convince me I needed snow pants. And I think he may be right but I'll wait a few weeks to buy those. Besides they may go on sale online for Black Friday. Snow pants sound great to walk the dog in.  I do love that store,  (dick's) but it too is a bit expensive.  So to round out our shopping experience in this new plaza we headed over to Walmart. I bought some heavy duty socks, again at Rick's urging. I think he may be tired of listening to my teeth chatter.

Last night while watching television I was bundled in blankets and decided we needed some hot chocolate to warm the insides.  Rick said if I was making he'd have one too. I surprised him and put in some peppermint schnapps. After his first sip he proclaimed, "Nice surprise Margaret!"  Yep, it was yummy.  And it did the trick and making me feel warmer.

Here's to summer only being 7 months away.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not ready. I walked out the house for work yesterday and say NOVEMBER IS HERE. You would think I would be ready since it happens every year, but no. It catches me off guard every time, especially when it plays around with 70s in early November like it did this year (and last). Truth be told, I can tolerate cold. It's the wind I need to not exist.

Mike said...

We had a cold dip here but it's warming back up already. I was outside in a t-shirt and thought that it was kind of nice today.

April said...

I guess I'm in the minority....I'm always hot. So I'm glad we are finally getting cooler weather.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Arnebya - yesterday was bone chilling cold. Today is quite nice. This morning, not so much. I had 3 dog walks in before noon. As I type this it's quickly lovely out. I can't live with 50. :-)

Mike - show off.

April - I used to be that way too. I actually like being colder more than always being hot though. This is new to me but it's better in a way.

flask said...

that's so cute.

tonight it is going to be ten degrees. tomorrow morning i am going camping. because CAMPING!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This is why I lIke you flask, you're a little bit crazy!!

Ms. A said...

I can't tolerate the extremes, hot, or cold. My body just can't regulate my thermostat anymore.

Julie H said...

I did the peppermint schnapps the other night too. Fell asleep pretty good after that lol.

We have Dicks here and I think it's expensive too.

It's not even that cold here compared to where you are at and we were talking about winter houses somewhere warmer when we retire (like that's ever going to happen lol).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie - did you like the peppermint schnapps in your hot cocoa?
It's been raining here for 3 days and it's cold, but getting warm (60's) in the next few days. YIPEE.