Monday, May 12, 2014

Mad Men 60's style

I am so into Mad Men.
Don Draper is someone I would hire in a heart beat!
He is not a man to have as a partner in life, but a partner in business there is no one I’d want more on my side. He can turn a negative into a positive like no other.

This character is gold! As a 'Man Man', he is the best. 
And when his back is against the wall he is even better. 
I just loved how he handled the work last night.  
When he stood outside that door, you knew he was nervous but he pulled it together when he has to. Damn, he’s good. I love to watch him at work.
I can’t wait to see how this all plays out. 
There are 2 more episodes I believe this season and then like 4 or 6 more all together left.

They are hard core into the late 60’s now and everything is changing.
I have no idea where this will go but man it’s a fun ride.
I will be so sad to see it go. It is so complex and it is so raw and real.

I adore the character of Roger Sterling. He is a smart ass and makes me laugh. 
It’s his money that keeps him there, he doesn't contribute much but does find good talent and he’s good at the schmooze. No one can charm like Roger.
The work is all Don and he knows it. I love Roger, so rich and miserable.

The women in this show are fascinating to me too. They had a role and that role is changing. They want to use the power but they are still scared of the power. All but Peggy. She has ambition and she has had to pay the price of it too. She knows it but loves her work and keeps at it. It’s so fascinating to watch these women leaving the 60’s and realizing what they think matters and they can have their own political thoughts and not just the thoughts of their mates.

Which brings me to the character of bitchy cold Betty - Oh how I dislike her.
She is good at nothing excepting holding her affection from everyone.
Her poor children!!  But even she is getting restless being a kept woman.
When she voiced her political opinion of the war it made her hubby so angry.
It wasn’t the same as his. How dare she speak up about more than the appetizers.
He told her she wasn’t to have an opinion because he is in office. She basically told him that she has the right to an opinion and to voice it. I hope she does more of this. Maybe that venting will get her to be a warmer person. Because my God she is cold as ice!


Anyone out there watching this show?  

3 comments:

Julie H said...

I haven't watched it but I just figured out how to stream shows on my Kindle so maybe I'll check it out :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie - start from the beginning because starting now will mean nothing. trust me on this.

Mike said...

Claudia likes it. I saw the first couple of episodes on Netflix and went 'meh'.