Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sleep

I have insomnia.
I so long for slumber. I ache for it most nights.
I would like to go to sleep for 10 hours straight. Not wake up once. 
Just restful sleep like when you are a kid.
You need sleep.

My doctor gave me these pills. I don't like to take pills.
Rick has taken them and he thinks they are great because there is no grogginess.
Nothing scary like an ambien.
He explains it as a light switch after 8 hrs exactly you just wake up refreshed.
Which he does without an alarm. But I put off taking them. 
Chicken shit I guess.

So I tried it the other night after months of them sitting on my night stand.
I woke up after a few hours as I do and I walked around the house.
I read, I watched bad reruns. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep.
It didn't happen.
By the time Rick and the dog came downstairs at 5:15am I was already up.
I went through the day a mess. I could have napped if it weren't for work.

I have been having this cold thing looming over me. 
Not quite 100% here and not quite well either. Allergies? 
I am sore all over, my head hurts, my sinus's hurt, my eyes hurt. 
My throat is so sore and my ears hurt. 

So last night after I cleaned up the kitchen I poured myself a hot decaf.
(don't ask me why no tea, I loathe tea)
The heat felt good but it just wasn't sitting right. 
It was only 7:30p and I wanted to crawl into bed I explained to Rick. 
Rick told me that I am an adult on most days and that I should be able to go to bed whenever the hell I want to. So he marched me upstairs and made me go to bed.

I did my lotions and old lady cream regime and crawled into bed. 
I turned on the TV thinking there was no damn way I would be able to fall asleep at 7:50p. That's all i remember until 5:05a when my dog wanted to go outside. 
It was wonderful. I even had a dream. I don't recall a dream in years.
A damn good one too. Gerard Butler. (insert swoon here)

Yes, sleep is good. 

10 comments:

Ms. A said...

Now that Michael is out of the hospital, I sleep when the mood strikes me. I don't do it very well either, but I plan to keep practicing! If your body wants 7:30, INDULGE IT!

Julie H said...

It's so nice when that happens!

mamahasspoken said...

What I hate about working is that my body won't let me sleep past 6:30. Hence it's not uncommon that I am in bed by 8:00, asleep before 9:00. My body won't let me have it any other way.
But I too have had nights where sleep is not my friend. Those nights suck.
Here's to a wonderful night sleep again tonight!

flask said...

i am a veteran of many insomniac nights.

new research suggests that one of the things that happens while you sleep is that your brain cleans itself up chemically.

additionally there are some recent studies that suggest that when people go without electric lighting they naturally fall into a nine hour sleep cycle, often in two chunks with a little wakefulness in the middle.

whoops! the sun is going down now; i must retire to the forest and sleep for the next nine hours.

this is not a joke.

and let me tell you: it is COLD out there n the forest when i wake up in the morning.

my current address (tonight at least) is somewhere out on forest road 71 in the green mountain national forest. go ahead, look at it on google.


Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thanks Bonnie.

Flask they also say lack of sleep is a root cause of Alzheimer's. Great!!

Mike said...

Are you sleeping now?

LL Cool Joe said...

I don't like tea either.

I'm not a good sleep either, but I try to just go with the flow. Get it when I can, and don't beat myself up when I can't.

My father-in-law died of Alzheimers and he slept like a log his whole life, so who knows?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah Funny Boy Mike! :-)
And I was not.


LL - Sorry about your father in law but happy to hear that he slept all the time. Whew.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

I'm marking this post to read again on one of those nights when I just can't sleep and I'm roaming around the house with a cup of tea and a gluten-free treat.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean your blog has sooo many good treats. I almost wish I had never found you. they are calorie free too right?