Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I'm Going to be on HGTV or DIY Next

I've been busy being Martha Stewart as I have said in another post recently.
On my lunch hours I have been painting a door and then adding new knobs and hardware.
I've had the contractor grade gold crap on my doors since moving in January 15, 2000.

My home is looking tired and needs a face lift.  Like me really. 
So as I mentioned we are doing some updating starting with what we can afford to do on the 1st floor. Thanksgiving we are doing our cabinets. I can't wait.
2nd floor next then 3rd floor.

I began by starting with the back door.
I painted the inside of this door only because the outside is a different color that matches all the outside doors. I then put on all the new hardware. (hinges, locks, knobs and other thingys)

I was pleased with my self because all I got from Rick was his good phillips head screw driver.  He and Izzy were at a Labrador swimming event.

That same day I did the pantry.  I had a hiccup with the pantry door because I put one of the hinges on backwards. Whoops, that has a slight issue with closing the door. 
Unfortunately Rick was home by this time and he had a good giggle at my expense.  
Lesson learned on those hinges.

Yesterday on my lunch hour I painted the closet door and the powder room door.
Then it was time to go to work. Damn!  I so wanted to finish this in one swoop.

It slowed down for a bit and I thought I could surely get one door done.
So I put on the closet door hinges and the hardware. Viola! Looked good to me.
Later in the day another break in the phones so I went downstairs and began to do the powder room knobs and hardware.  

I had already put in this new thingy below (pic 1)  as well as the 2nd thingy after that.
"Thingy" is the proper professional term you know.


 This is the 2nd thingy that was in this powder room door.
Now I did not have any door knobs in yet. So for those that don't know, this has a hole where the knob should be but you can see the top "thingy" through the hole.
Izzy came down the hall by me and I moved to grab her so she didn't step in my paint lying on the floor.  As I did this my fat ass hit the door and it slammed shut. Oops!

I couldn't open the damn door.  I grabbed another screwdriver and attempted to move this latch inside to open the door. Nope, that didn't work. I was now laughing. The light is on and I can't get in there so I can't even finish this. Thankfully the phone rang for the business and I rang upstairs to get the phone.  I kept going downstairs to try different things and I couldn't stop laughing at myself. I knew, I mean I really knew that if this was locked when Rick got home I would be given so much grief.  He would literally laugh his ass off and I just didn't want to be his joke yet again damn it.

I wrote to my sister Jennifer and my friend Katie. They just laughed at me they were no damn help. A few hours went by and each break I got I would run downstairs and try something else. I had to be missing something but what?

So I broke down and called Rick. 
I asked him, "IF someone had done .......what would you do?"
"Someone?" he asks and laughs.
He suggests I use the screwdriver and the rest of what he said is what I had already done. 
I didn't tell him that. I just said, "OK!"

Hours later I finally had an eureka moment at my desk while listening to a numb nut on the phone who wanted new counter tops. 
I went downstairs after my call and put on the knob for the outside since that was the only side that I could see. I thought I'd try turning it even though it wasn't on with screws yet. And Damn if that didn't work.
Whew. Why didn't I think of that before? How stupid am I? (don't answer that)

By the time the Big Guy got home it was completed and while he chuckled, he really didn't give me too much shit.  YAH! He said it all looked good and complimented me. 

I still have to do the front door and I admit I am a bit fearful of that one. A great deal more hardware, locks and a big ass handle.  But I can do it...I hope.
But my lunch hour today is the dentist. So not sure when I'll get to that one.
It's a shame because the little culprit who made me jump and close that door isn't here today. Izzy is at doggie day care today.

Speaking of this culprit above - Want to know why I didn't go with lever style as I like? Because Izzy knows how to open them. 
We had that style at the lake house to the back door of the daylight basement. 
We were all around the fire pit and she was inside asleep...or so we thought.
For some reason I looked over at the house and saw her on her back feet with her front paws on the door lever and out she came. My damn husband sees this and only says, "well that's new"  

So that she doesn't open the doors and let herself out I went with knobs. 
She may be smart but she doesn't have thumbs yet so we should be okay.

11 comments:

Julie H said...

My animals know how to open those door handles too. I need to change ours over to regular knobs! Scott was just saying that yesterday when the dog broke into Melissa's room lol.

I'm impressed you did the hinges! That sounds hard!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, the hinges were the easiest part of the whole thing. Anyone can do it if I can.
I thought I'd have to take off the doors to do that but I didn't. I just did the one in the middle first. Then either the top or bottom next etc. It was a breeze. Just screws.
Love that your dog does this too!

Ms. A said...

These are the kind of things (not the mistake part, but I'm SURE those would happen) that we had planned to do when hubby retired... February 1st. The plan was sidelined when Michael got sick and hasn't managed to get back on track yet!!! I think if we can get a few good weeks of Clinic visits and no mishaps, maybe we can find the motivation to get going. Finding extra money after all the medical expense is another story.

Mike said...

When Max the dog was still here he could open the gates to the yard by flipping them up with his nose. I had to put clips on the latches.

mamahasspoken said...

Getting new doors and windows myself I know what you are going through. The hardest part so far was picking out the finish for all that hardware. I had no idea there were so many choices. Though after reading about Izzy, I'm glad that I didn't go with the lever type handles even though I REALLY wanted them.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike I never cease to be amazed at how smart dogs are.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Cora, motivation is the key. But for me money is even higher on the list. I so hope you have an uneventful rest of the year with Michael and all of the family. Here's to having only love and laughter...its time!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie, with 3 big labs I think you made the right choice!!

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Look at you go! Painting is a tedious task yet so satisfying. Izzy cracks me up. She's smarter than I am. The whole reason I got those kind of knobs was that I can open them with one hand or an elbow when carrying a load of groceries. I have them on the front gate and door. I don't think Izzy could get out because I leave them locked most of the time, but she is pretty smart.

Arnebya said...

This is inspiring. I need to reknob doors and cabinets. But then I also need/want to gut the kitchen.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Arnebya - baby steps. :-) that is how I'm doing it. The cabinets will be transformed over thanksgiving. Just got new bar stools for the island.