Thursday, October 24, 2013

Cold and Food Season

Why does this weather make me turn into a domestic goddess?
Yea, I'm laughing too.

But I've been busy cooking and baking and we all know I don't normally like to cook.
I prefer it when others cook for me, like that Big Guy I'm married to.
He just  made me such great chicken soup since I've been feeling under the weather. 
This man could put an old Jewish grandma to shame with his chicken soup. 
Yes this guy.
















But of late I have just wanted to be cooking and baking
Is it the cold weather? Do I really need a Home Ec badge at this time of my life?
Has Martha invaded my body? (If she did, I want to know where she keeps the money!)

On Sunday Rick walked over to me in the kitchen and felt my forehead.
I pulled back and asked him what the hell he was doing.
"Checking to see if you have a fever." he said laughing.

I tilted my head like the little RCA dog and he laughed at me.
He said, "What is with all the good food lately?"

"I don't know.  I just feel like cooking and baking. Wine goes well with both you know."

"Are you drinking it or cooking with it. "

"What do you think?"

It started with a pork Osso Buco. 
He taught me how to make this. It is so yummy.

Stuffed peppers but instead of rice I used quinoa. 
This was very good if I do say so myself. 
He wasn't sure at first but then he devoured them and decided he liked it better than the traditional way with rice. 

Next I made a great roasted cauliflower soup topped with real crumbled bacon. I'm gettin' the hang of these soups. If I had known soup was so easy to make and be so damn good I would have tried this long ago! 

I made an apple pie. He kept telling me to move it so he didn't see it.
What? Put it low? Nope, the dog will see it even though he won't. 
I'm all of 5'1"and he is 6'2" - where could I put it that he couldn't see it? 
A drawer? The car? 
I can't reach where he can't see. 
"Just try not eating a whole pie over the weekend."  I tell him. 
He says it can't be done.  He claims these things are made ONLY to be eaten.
I say I won't bake anything then. He shouts, "NO! That is not what I meant"
Poor guy is all confused or perhaps it's his food coma.

Last night he had the mini meatloaves.
I made meatloaf but put them in a cupcake pan.
For some reason the Big Guy loves them like that. 
Bite size morsels of sustenance he calls them. Weirdo.

So last night after he bitched so much about traffic I thought it'd be nice to have one of his favorite dinners.  He's so easy this man when it comes to food. (well sex too for that matter)
He loves his food fancy, rustic or simple, it just doesn't matter because he just likes food. 
Those little meatloaves, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and corn.
He moaned a lot so I guess it was good.  (The meat loaf was gluten so I didn't eat any)
He made a meatloaf sandwich for work. "Happy Happy Happy", he said as he made it.
Something is so wrong with a person who is so friggin' happy at 6am. making a lunch.
You have no idea how that can bug the shit out of a non happy morning person.
But I digress....

I made him banana bread this morning before I came upstairs for work. 
I was sick of seeing those black bananas in the fruit bowl.  
So now the house smells great. 
All I need is a roaring fire and it will even make Martha Stewart vomit.

I now see why it was my destiny to receive the horrible fate of having to be gluten free.
I'd be the size of my house if I could eat this stuff.
As it is I have to watch what I eat just to maintenance chubby!

8 comments:

Ms. A said...

I'm not much of a cook, but it's more tolerable when the weather is cooler. One thing I do quite often, is make soup. I actually make a pretty decent soup and I always make enough for several days. It's such a good, cool weather food.

mamahasspoken said...

I've been wanting to bake but haven't because I know it will be too tempting to eat it all myself and hubby (aka diabetic man) doesn't need it. So what am I doing this week-end? Going to Amish country and buying and eating some fat inducing foods ;)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Cora - I agree. I have had his chicken soup every day at lunch after the lunchtime walk with Izzy. Perfect. And I think it's even better as a left over.

Bonnie - Good for you! Have fun. I always love the sweet breads and pastries in Amish country.

Julie H said...

haha I'm cracking up on the where can you put it that he can't see it. Scott is 6'6" tall so we have that problem here too!

I'm tired of cooking right now. He's here all day and he's like "there's nothing to eat". Nothing sounds good to me so I don't know. I just asked him what he wants for dinner tomorrow and he says "I don't care" um yeah you do.

Mike said...

'..happy at 6am..'

The only reason a person should be happy at 6am is because they stayed up all night and they were just going to bed.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie - order take out. It's Friday and it's easy to finish off the week.

Mike - thank you. I do not think it's normal to be that damn happy at that hour. He wakes up whistling. It's all kinds of wrong.

Julie H said...

We had take out last night :)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I feel the same way about being lucky to avoid all the flour goodies. I have a hard enough time maintaining my weight without them. In that respect being gluten free is lucky. I guess..