Today is my Mom's birthday.
If she had lived past the age of 44 she would have been 87 today. Wow.
Every year I realize the date is coming up and something will go through my head and I'll think, wow it's mom's birthday next week.
Then I go on with life and don't think of it again.
Then on August 23rd it hits me. It's Mom's day.
I remember birthdays pretty well. Can't remember where the hell my keys are or where I parked the car at the grocery store. But I can remember birthdates of my family well.
Today I wish I didn't.
I get to pick up my DVD's today at Costco.
I brought Costco my 8mm tapes that I got from my parents when I went up north.
They are making them all into DVD's.
I can't wait to see them.
These should be a hoot.
Some date back to the 60's.
Just to see the clothes and my parents as young people will be so much fun.
I was to start my job at Starbucks after labor day.
They called me yesterday to tell me that budgets had been cut and there was no job for me.
Nice huh? How can you tell me I am hired and then I don't have the job?
He said if I came on board there wouldn't be enough hours for me or some such garbage.
I didn't want to wear that damn apron and hat anyway. (I just wanted health benefits)
I have been applying to all the businesses that are in my development.
That would make it easier working 2 jobs if I didn't have a huge commute.
I did not apply to the wine store though. I thought that could be a problem.
I would work for wine basically and that isn't the reason for the 2nd job....but it'd sure be fun for Rick and me.
They sell to die for chocolate truffles as well as great wines and they host themed parties there etc. I could so work there and have fun but I would need AA on speed dial I fear.
___________________________________________
We just had a 5.9 earthquake. To you all living in earthquake parts of the country this is no big deal to you. However it was a big deal to me.
Of course being in the DC metro area my first thought was terrorism.
It started slowly. It was a shake at first....not big.
Then it was wild shaking here in Northern VA.
The dog was sleeping beside my desk and I just hung up the phone when the whole house shook back and forth. She woke up barking and I threw off my headset and we both ran down the stairs to go outside. (my office is on the 2nd floor)
As I got outside I heard the office phone ring. I wasn't going back in until the earth stopped moving! (it's fall like weather today so my windows are open)
Rick called my cell which I had on me and he was in a high rise about 15 miles away.
He wanted to be sure we were okay. I told him we were outside with most of the neighbors who were home. We are having a difficult time getting through to people on the phone.
As of right now I have heard conflicting reports on where the epicenter was located.
I heard Mineral Virginia and then I heard Richmond VA. So I don't know for sure.
Mineral is about 80 miles from me. Richmond is about 110 miles away.
I'd say it was Mineral VA from how it felt to me.
I also heard them say on TV it would feel like a truck went down the street. A truck?
My whole home swayed back and forth vigorously. It did not feel like any truck I ever felt!! I also heard glass break but I have not seen anything as yet that is broken.
But I have not gone up to the 3rd floor yet.
When I lived in Seattle we had a 5.5 and it was nothing in comparison.
The epicenter in that one was 20 miles away from us. This was so much more yet it wasn't that much difference in the numbers.
It's been a gorgeous fall like day here. Cool morning, blue sky and probably only 85 degrees with low humidity. Great weather but I can do without the earth moving unless it's sexual thank you very much.
I am unable to reach Rick by phone - wonder if this affected cell towers?
What a wild day folks.
12 comments:
I have been meaning to get my VHS tapes made into DVDs but can't find a good place near me that does it. I wonder if my Costco does that. I need to look into it
Also about the tapes. Did you shop around? Was Costco the che.... least expensive.
Mike - costco was indeed the cheapest. I had it done before at a place that just worked in film and this type of stuff and it was expensive. I gave them 4 rolls of tape and it was $34.00. I thought that was reseasonable. I paid more than that for 1 8mm to DVD. I do think they send them out of town or out of the country because of the time factor it took. But it was worth if for me to try. I'll keep ya posted.
Wow that's a great deal! My husband's parents have a bunch, mostly of when he was a kid. I'll have to tell him about that and see if we can get them to give them to us and get that done. Last time we watched them they had to keep fixing them so they could play right on the projector.
That sucks about the job :( My brother ran the little bar down the street from us and he could definitely use some AA now..
Some people get to have all the fun. Now all you need is a hurricane with a few embeded tornados. And a plague of locusts....wait, we've already had the plague of insects this year haven't we?
The last earthquake we had around here was in the middle of the night, years ago, and didn't wake me up. The New Madrid Fault is in this area, and scientists keep expecting "the big one" but it hasn't happened, so far. I hope there wasn't much damage around your area.
Click on this link and + the map to see the zone near Richmond.
http://geohazards.usgs.gov/qfaults/eusa/eus.php
Link to info on the zone.
http://geohazards.usgs.gov/cfusion/qfault/qf_web_disp.cfm?qfault_or=1235&qfault_id=2653
I do the same thing with my mom's birthday including how old she would be if she was still alive.
I watched your video of the lake and WOW his dock is better than my house!
Mamma - yep! We used to go by that place before we lived there and I would say to Rick, "I could just live on his dock if you buy me the dock."
I realize now be careful what you wish for - my house is the size of his dock. :-)
That quake scared the life out of my buddy in PA.
ok god dammit i know i left a comment on this post. the day of the earthquake i got off of work and the first thing i did was check your blog to see if you were ok. if my comment was deleted by that new fangled cell phone of yours, then fine. otherwise, i want it to be noted that i wasnt being a thoughtless friend on the day of a natural disaster.
Tammie you did leave me a comment on another post. it was not my fat fingers on my new fangled phone ...this time anyway.
I hereby note that Tammie my irregular friend is a thoughtful friend during a natural diaster and otherwise!!!
Post a Comment