Monday, August 1, 2011

Weekend of Izzy's (human and canine)

What a weekend we had.
Saturday Rick had to work.
It was a long stressful day for him for a plethora of reasons too much to detail here.

For me it was clean, clean, and clean.
(I so miss my cleaning lady from my old life.)

We were invited to a party in the neighborhood.
It was all about wine and cheese.
I made baked brie and we brought a few bottles of wine.
We met a lot of fun people and a good time had by all.
But what was funny was that no one recognized me all cleaned up.

We met these people because of walking the dog all the time.
They just moved into a house about 1 block away.
I met Kristy one morning and while our dogs played we chatted.
I have seen her so many times over the 2 months they have lived here.
We have bonded and Rick liked them a lot as well.
I admit Kristy sees Rick more often and they talk all the time while the dogs play as well.

Now I admit since I work from home I don't always look the best I can look.
I take a shower and throw on a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and I'm on my way.
Some days I don't spend the 30 minutes blow drying my hair to the style it is cut for.
Sometimes it is wet and put under one of my baseball hats and throw on some sun glasses over the face that doesn't have make up on it.
I admit I also don't wear makeup 1/2 the time - some weeks 3/4 of the time.
But c'mon I work from home. Aside from the commute isn't that one of the best perks of working from home? Flip flops and no makeup?

On this particular Saturday as we walked over to their home Rick was met by the men playing that corn hole game outside. Rick stayed out there because they needed another guy. I said I'd go inside and say hello.

As I walked into Kristy's home a man at the party who I had never met, held the door for me and we walked inside together.  I said Hi to Kristy and saw everyone standing around their kitchen island. I added my bottles of wine to the group of bottles sitting there and put down my brie.  She looked at me as if to say, "Who the hell are you?" 

She says, "I'm sorry I don't know who you are."

I said, "Kristy you just aren't used to seeing me without Izzy are you?
I'm always with Izzy when we see one another."

Now everyone is looking puzzled and all the conversation just stopped.
The man who walked in with me is giving me this really odd and strange look.
I felt so damn uncomfortable. I stopped conversation and everyone is just staring at me now.
I was turning all shades of red.

I repeat, "You know, my dog, Izzy? I'm Peggy, we chatted for 30 minutes this morning on the corner."

Oh My God! she said as she held her hand to her mouth.
You look so different!" She continued, "Oh that Izzy!!"

Now I am puzzled. What the hell did she mean by "that Izzy?"

She goes on, "Peggy this is Izzy" as she introduced me to the man who walked in with me.
Everyone nervously laughs and I realized why this was doubly confusing.

First of all she didn't recognize me with hair and makeup as well as nice clothes.
Then I go and say, "You know I'm always with Izzy" as I walk in with her friends husband who's name is Izzy.

Then Izzy's wife walks over to me and introduced herself and said, "You about gave me a heart attack. I thought you were fooling around with my husband." 
Thankfully everyone was laughing and nice to me after that.
It was the fodder for the evening.  Jeez. What an entrance I made huh?

I must say that I had a bit too much of the vino.  I am now officially a light weight since I stopped drinking during the diet. Their home was close to ours so it was nice to be able to walk home. Not that I recall doing that or anything.

Sunday morning we had an appointment to take Izzy to the vet because it was that time of year for some shots.  (yes our vet is open on Sundays)
I have read that dogs do not remember but I find that horseshit because Izzy hate going to the vet. She knows this is where she gets needles and a thermometer up her butt which she hates! (can you blame her?) Izzy realized where she was and refused to get out of the car.
So Rick had to pick her up. I am thankful Rick came with me because I can't lift Izzy.
She is now at her fighting weight and the vet was thrilled to tell us she was the perfect weight. After being told that she was too fat before this was nice to hear.
They take a photo of the dog for the file annually and they show the dog a treat and they snap the picture.
Well Izzy just looks like she is begging us to get her out of there.
"Please get me out of here - they stick things up my butt and I don't like it - not enough treats in the world!"

10 comments:

Lizbeth said...

I had a similar experience when I was at my kids school last year. We spent a lot of time at the pool over the summer and I ran into another parent who was also at the pool a lot. She couldn't place me for anything. I finally had to tell her who I was....she examined, "Oh, I didn't recognize you with all your clothes on!!" Niiiice....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Lizbeth - Ooh that sounds much worse than it is though....but funny!! When her husband told me I "clean up" real well I realized I need to start making an effort even if I do work from home...just not today. I should get MOnday's off right? (yep, wearing a hat over wet hair and shorts and flip flops!)

mamahasspoken said...

Every dog I've ever had remembered the vet including my three dogs now. My labs refuse to come out of the car too whenever we pull up to the vet. Now we have to park in the grocery store's parking lot and walk down to the vet. Only problem with this is last time, as soon as Daisy saw the vet's building, she refused to walk....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mama - good to know it's just not our dog!

Karen said...

I meet a lot of people and I honestly don't remember all of them. I just go with the flow and pretend I know them. I bet I have to do that at least twice a week.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Karen - I tend to do the same. But it really bothered her that I was in her home and she didn't know me I suppose!

Ms. A said...

That's hysterical about the party! (I wouldn't even walk a dog without my face on, unless it was VERY dark outside)(I won't even get the paper or the mail, either)(Yeah, I'm that scary looking)

My dogs hated the vet and somehow always knew when we were going. Otherwise, they loved the car. When we would get there, they would be so nervous they would poop!

Mike said...

I'm surprised she hadn't mentioned the other Izzy before.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - and what i didn't say here was that Izzy is a chocolate lab. Her friend Izzy was a black man and she told him that Izzy was chocolate too and just as pretty. I about died!!! Thankfully everyone was laughing and no one was offended. At least SHE told her friend that and not someone else i suppose.

Julie H said...

I thought you were going to say that they didn't recognize you since you lost so much weight. Funny on the name thing though!