Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Depression.

I read a lot of blogs and have noticed a common theme amongst them of late.
Everyone is depressed.

Is it the season? Is it the economy? Is it much deeper than that? I wonder.
Perhaps depressed people write more?

My first thought on reading one today was that I too was depressed when I lived in that part of the world. And the therapists I found there were most unhelpful, unconventional but not helpful by any stretch of the imagination.
So, I wondered if you get depressed living there or do depressed people find their way there?

Then I remembered a friend who lived in Pa. She had SAD, sun affected disorder. It’s that time of year and maybe that is what is causing all the depression.
Could it be that easy? Is it ever that easy?

Doctors don’t know shit about this trust me.
I remember when I had the world by the ass. Wonderful marriage, loved my job, making buckets of $$ and yet I could burst into tears at moments notice.
I couldn't understand why I was in this very dark and alone place.
No sleep, a walking zombie of depression. But my doctor kept insisting there must be something wrong with my marriage. The asshole had me leave with a box of anti-depressants and said, "this will help you." Ah the magic pill which I took.
I felt even worse. When I called his office to tell him that I hadn’t slept in 2 days because of the effect of these he told me, “but you feel better overall don’t you?” WTF?
Come to find out it was my thyroid which every numb nut said was normal.
I hate doctors but you all know that.

So why are so many of us depressed when we seem to have it all?
I don’t like my job, I make no money at said job and I have a wonderful hubby and we are stressed beyong belief with finances right now yet I’m not clinically depressed although a smart person sure as hell should be.

Why do so many women most of all get undiagnosed? Why are we made to feel less than if we do open up and say, “Hey things aren’t working for me right now.”
Why is this such a stigma?
If my heart didn’t work there is no stigma.
It’s an organ it’s not working properly end of story.
My brain is an organ too. If it’s not working properly then why is that a stigma and not workable? Just putting it out there. Got an answer?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ive noticed this too. ive felt it a bit myself even but i try not to think about it. which is probably not the best way to handle it.

i do think a lot of it has to do with the economy. i know a lot of people who are working really hard yet barely living paycheck to paycheck.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I hear you Tammie.

I'm in the 2nd bunch myself. Scared shitless to be honest but I am trying like hell to stay in denial. :-)

I think America is in a funk. (as am I)

Jessie Earth Momma said...

Oy.