Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Smile

Now our food is killing us or giving us explosive diarrhea. Lovely.

No lettuce, no jalapeños, and more. Now, as a Celiac, my foods that I do eat a lot of are salads, homemade Pico de gallo, and eggs.

I never ever buy bagged lettuce, which was the first culprit. Then they suggested lettuce by the head. Oh great. We were told to take the outer leaves off and throw them away, then thoroughly rinse the head of lettuce. Nope. I still fear it all. I don't want Cyclospora, which causes weeks of severe pain and explosive diarrhea or death. Not worth a salad. 

Now they say Salmonella for my jalapeños from Mexico.  
I seeded a jalapeño I had purchased some time ago. I put the seeds in a pot on my patio to see if they would grow. I eat my homemade Pico daily, until now. So no salads, no spice, no wheat. What's a gal to do?  

You'd think I'd be skinny, wouldn't you?  Rick tells me all the time he doesn't see how I don't lose weight when I hardly eat. My thoughts exactly, buddy!  
I watch him eat ice cream, candy, and junk food every night as I drink water. 
Oh well. God made me chubby so I'd keep my clothes on, I swear. 

We are heading to the big Raleigh farmers market to buy produce not from Mexico. We want homegrown food. Our world is crazy. I got bell peppers from Canada as well as mushrooms. Plz Canada, don't give me salmonella or explosive diarrhea.
I'm not in the mood to die either. 

I went to pick up rice paper in the Asian department.
I was going to make egg rolls, and since I can't use regular egg roll wrappers, I saw a man who made egg rolls with rice paper.  YIPEE. 
Gluten-free, and I already know how to make the insides. But my store had no rice paper. 

I asked the woman who worked there, and she told me to just use egg roll wrappers. 
I smiled and thanked her and went along my merry way. 
I always smile, but inside I'm thinking, "Did I say egg roll wrappers? If I wanted egg roll wrappers, I'd have chosen one from the 3 piles of them you have in front of me. I don't fucking want egg roll wrappers, lady" 
But I only say this in my head of course. 
It makes me feel better so I can smile at this woman and thank her

It's what we refer to as my Peggy face.  I was given my Peggy face as a child. It's served me well, I suppose. Rick got it from the first week he met me, when we were with other people.  He asked why I did that. 
I told him, why make others feel bad?  Just smile and move on. 
But did I move on or just add it to a pile of shit I was stuffing down?

When my mom was sick, I never wanted to upset her or make her worry about me. So I smiled and always said things were fine or great, no matter how heavy this all felt to me at the time. (I was 10.)
 
When my mom died, my father told me not to cry at the funeral because it made others feel bad and uncomfortable. (I was 13) When people talked about my mom or came to our home, I served the coffee and pastries and smiled because that is what I was told to do. Stuff it down and smile. 
Be kind to everyone but myself was what it felt like it was about; I just didn't know it then.

So there have been many difficult times in my life, and I just put on my Peggy face. Make others laugh, make others comfortable, and smile, smile, smile. Today I didn't want to smile, but I did. She didn't deserve my anger; I was just in a bad mood. 

It's been 60 years of that shit. Smile! I am getting tired. I fear all this pent-up smiling will explode one day, and I won't be kind to someone, and I'll say what is on my mind. But I continue to practice kindness, keeping it inside and smiling. Eventually, there will be something worth smiling about, right?  

16 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope you don't become a serial killer from all that pent-up rage, Peggy. But keep an Enemies List just in case you ever do.

Cop Car said...

YOU are something/someone worth smiling about, Peg. I am smiling for YOU. Not a forced smile but a smile of appreciation for a human being doing the very best she can to help others live their lives more agreeably. Thank you, Peg.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

...tee hee. I can be on Dateline....oh wait I'm too mean! I have no enemies damn it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ok. 'Nuff of that. Don't make me regret putting my feelings here. I don't do compliments well.

Anonymous said...

My childhood was a lot like that, too. My mom didn't die, but our household was totally screwed up. As the youngest, I got the brunt of a lot of it, and like you, I understood that my job was to smile and make nice with everyone. As an adult, I keep reminding myself that Phil Donahue wasn't on tv explaining psychology to the masses until I was an adult. So, they literally didn't know any better. Sigh. Anyway, I get what you are saying.
Nina

Susan Kane said...

I had my teacher face for the past for years. as a young person, I kept my face like a mask. Now? Hmm.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Lol. That's funny Susan. So you get it. It served me well in my job that is for certain.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Sorry you had a messed up household as you say. But its all good now I hope♥️

Julie H said...

I wish I could just have a Peggy face but when I get real mad sometimes I cry. It's so annoying.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ooh I understand. I do too, in private or in front of Rick.

Abby said...

My jobs require me having a "Peggy Face" a good portion of the time. Not always easy!

Barbara said...

OMG. I love that. Best line ever: Oh well. God made me chubby so I'd keep my clothes on, I swear.

Kathy G said...

Down the line we will have forgotten the latest produce issue, but until then you're wise to buy local.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

No, it's not!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I really dislike to wear clothes. So I really think he did this to me on purpose, one way to keep clothes on that woman!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Only local while I can.