Monday, August 3, 2026

Yes, It's August

 Yes, Abby, it is August. Not sure I'm up for this, but will try.

I'm struggling right now. I don't think I wish to go into it right now, but I'm sure I will at some point.

I will share with you that since I have been staring into the abyss, I have also spent many hours staring at the tube.  Sometimes watching, sometimes just staring.

From all I've seen on television -
There is a block of I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore.
That is comfort for me. I love old sitcoms. I don't know why but it's like a shot of dopamine for me and it is needed.

I did watch Ride or Die on Prime, and I liked that. Octavia Spencer and my husband's girlfriend, Hannah Waddington.  It was far better than I'd have thought. It was funny, along with the action. I love both of these actresses, so it was a good watch for me and Rick. That doesn't happen often since we both like such different genres.  Action is not usually something I like but the humor in this made it different.

As I continued to stare at stupid insipid shit on TV, I am convinced Carmen Electra is rude and stupid. Not a good combo. There is a show about the dumbest celebrity. I think she will win. I don't know the name because I was just staring, mostly out the window, really.
If I never see that show again, it will be fine. The remote was across the room, and I was too lazy to fetch it. Yes, I know that is awful.

In the wee hours while I'm awake, I did watch a marathon of Dateline.
Just once, honestly, just once, I'd love them to say the person who was killed was a horrible person and mean to everyone. But they are always the best person around, kind-hearted, life of the party.  

And finally our TV. Our television was going nuts. It would change channels on its own. It went from Netflix to Channel 5 news. Then another night it flashed on and off a few times in a row.  It's been wild. Poltergeist again? 
If it had been our power, other things would also have flashed. 
It did this for a full two days and suddenly stopped as quickly as it started.  Whatever it was, it got our attention; that is for certain.

Tipping - 
I am sick to death of tipping. I was a waitress for many years in my teens and 20s. I did not make minimum wage, so tipping was the way to make a living wage. But the woman at the coffee shop who takes my order gets paid minimum wage; why must I tip her? Then they shove the tablet in front of you and ask, are you tipping. I want to say for what?  You handed me my drink; that is what your job is, right?

Now here's the biggest rub for me. Hairdressers.  
They should not be tipped, I'm sorry. 
But God forbid you don't, and see what happens to your hair.
I went to a salon when I lived in Ohio.  There was a sign that said, We are professionals, like your doctor.  Do you tip her/him?  We do not accept tips.  

My hairdresser charges $100 for a cut.  So that is $120 every time I get a cut with tip.  If she does 10 haircuts a day for 5 days, that is 24K a month. Why am I tipping her?  That is roughly $250K a year.  Now that is only if she did cuts. But coloring, as you know, is several hundred more; extensions, etc., are all much more. It really infuriates me that one must tip a hairdresser.

When my gyno put fuzzy slippers over his stirrups, should I have tipped her?

My hairdresser in VA back in the late 90's was making 150K a year working 3 days a week, she told me. Again, why do we tip them? 

I am an over tipper when it comes to service at a restaurant. I also tip the porter who carried my bags or the bellman. 

I honestly can't understand in this backward town that haircuts are higher than those in the big cities I've lived in. There was a place charging $35 that I tried when I moved here. I wore a hat for a month.  
Okay, that rant is over.

I haven't laughed a lot of late, but this did make me smile. So damn true!!

                                       
                                     Who is gonna tell her?


1 comment:

Julie H said...

My sister in law does hair and they are still poor so IDK what's going on there lol. I think her space rental is pretty expensive or something.