Hellava sports weekend at my home
The Carolina Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup.
That has my town all a twitter.
It's been crazy good.
Then the Knicks. I don't even like basketball all that much, but I had to see that last game. Wow, I did not think they were going to pull this off.
And of course, we root for the NY teams, so we were happy to see that.
Then my baseball team went to the Great White North. We never win up there. But we took 2 out of 3, and I'll take that.
So my weekend was good since all my teams won. :-)
Now to the things I don't like.
1. Wind Chill
2. Heat Index
3. Water restrictions, along with neighbors like Gladys Kravitz
4. Tell us what you really mean.
5. Contractors who don't show up.
1. Why do we need this? If it's 12 degrees Fahrenheit, I don't need to know it feels like 3 degrees. It's damn cold. Let it go. Let me freeze, I'll figure it out.
2. See above. It was 99 the other day. They had to tell me it felt like 106. Oh, goody, I feel better now. argh! It's hot. Let it go. I have boob sweat. I know how hot it is. Or as my friend's little boy says, "Mom, I have butt sweat." Now that made me laugh.
3. We are having a severe drought. Fines for watering your plants and flowers. Neighbors turning in neighbors. I hate seeing all that money; those plants die. But watching out your window to turn in your neighbors just doesn't feel right to me.
4. I want to hurt people when I say something, and they respond with, "Tell us how you really feel." Well, Karen, I just did. What I wish to say is, "I just told you. How dumb are you?" I smile, say nothing, and don't even respond to their stupid comment/question.
5. 2nd time in a month that a contractor did not show up again.
They must be so rich that they don't need to work. Oh, this is when I miss my handyman, Rick. Worse part of this damn stroke. Well, not quite.
16 comments:
I was happy for the Canes last night, and especially happy that Jordan Staal won the Conn Smythe (MVP) trophy. I wish my Penguins still had him, but I always understood why he left... He'd always have Crosby and Malkin ahead of him in the same position. Plus he got to go play with his brother for a while.
"Hot enough for ya?"
Reminds me of a line from Denis Leary's "Asshole Song"
"I use public toilets and piss on the seat.
I walk around in the summertime saying 'How about this heat?'
I'm an asshole... "
I LOVE THAT SONG!
I would have a good time annoying your neighbor by carrying a bucket of grey water (i.e., left over from washing dishes) outside, dumping it on a plant or the grass, and daring her to narc on you.
I know why a contractor might not show up when he plans to. I live with a contractor; well, one who's trying his damnedest to retire from that and just continue organic farming. He still gets asked to do work for longtime clients and doesn't have the heart to say no, because the work can be necessary and there's no one else around to do it.
It depends on the work. One example: he's drywalled a new house and plastered the screw holes and can't paint till that plaster is dry. Sometimes it isn't dry the next day or even the next; could be moisture inside the building, could be moisture outside, or both. So he goes to work at another ongoing job while he waits till the first one is fit to continue.
Many contractors don't just come to your house and work constantly there till the job is done. They've often got more than one job at a time. Farmbeau's had a client see him working somewhere else when the work at their own place wasn't finished, who was angry and gave him hell for it because they didn't understand the very good reason.
That's just one example and I've heard many more from Farmbeau, who was a general contractor most of his adult life.
That said, I hear stories about contractors making all kinds of excuses why they haven't returned when they meant to. Are they valid reasons? I don't know, but I TOTALLY get being frustrated with them. If you SAY you're going to be somewhere on a certain day, BE THERE, damn it! Or at least let the homeowner know why you aren't. -Kate
No excuse to not show up or call. None. My husband was a contractor. If couldn't make it at time of appointment,a call was made. Easy peasy. What you described as plaster drying etc is not quite the same and all understandable.
Oh Kathy, now you and Rick are telling me to do the same. I just cant.
I am glad that the Knicks won, for pete's sake it's been over 50 years. I am not really a basketball fan, but my Mom was a huge fan of the Spurs, so ~ eh, if they win good, if not, not biggie. The talk I heard is that they are a young team and just haven't gotten there yet.
Agree about the wind chill and heat index. I just go outside and when I come back in "wow it's cold" or "whew, it's hot". I really don't need the details.
What a delightful neighborhood you live in. In mine we only complain if it's been a year and the old rusty car is still in the driveway.
Good luck with the contractors.....
The few times I needed contractors I had the same issue. No call backs or showing up. WTF. If Scott ever can't do things I'll be crying too. He spent a whole day fixing the bathroom sink at the kids place the other day.
I love the meme! Jealous of cold weather!
Congrats to the 'canes. Our Avs were in it for a bit, but just not their year.
Contractor horror stories make me nervous. Good luck!
I think i need to learn to use tools!!
Jealous of cold weather? I like em both truthfully. Here to the meme coming true!
You're lucky Julie!!!
Thx I apparently do need luck because nothing is working to make em show up.
Here's hoping History repeats itself.
Here, here!!!
Post a Comment