Saturday, December 27, 2025

Whew!

 Well, the Grinch is happy that's over! 

I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday!

My cousin Bobby called me at Xmas, and we laughed on the phone for an hour!
I do wish I could afford to go to Florida to visit him. He can't travel right now due to a medical issue. Lottery Take Me Away!

I'd like to get rid of all my holiday decorations.
I no longer decorate.  We gave away our Frontgate prelit tree before we moved here.
It was a beauty, but we just don't care anymore.

There are only 2 of us.  Since moving here, we have no local friends.  I just don't get a reason to decorate. Rick could not care less. Same with me. See? 
We are grinches.
I have a ton of stuff to donate. I reached out to my sister, who has the same mom as me, and asked if she wanted any of Mom's "antique" bulbs. I can't just toss 'em, but I don't use them anymore. Perhaps donate somewhere, but where?

My nieces will take the rest of the stuff off my hands. 
Oh, I'll keep some things, but not much.

Up north, we used to have such fun holiday parties.

One year, there were so many new people, and all were missing their families, so I decided to have dinner for us all away from our families and get together.  

I put Xmas tablecloths all across the 8ft island and loaded it up with food. I made homemade eggnog, which is far better than the stuff in the box at the grocery store.
If you like eggnog, you would LOVE this. 

I put the eggnog in a big ole punch bowl. Of course, there is bourbon in the eggnog.  I grated some fresh nutmeg on the top and put all the glasses around the punch bowl.  One guest said, "What is this?"  She made such a face. I told her it was eggnog. She said, "Oh, I like eggnog, but what it on the top?"  Again, her nose is all crinkled, and it made me laugh. I said it's nutmeg. She said, "Oh gross."

She chose not to have any and instead went to the bar that was set up. I was now on my 2nd batch to fill up the bunch bowl because everyone else loved it. The woman who made the face said, upon seeing me fill the punch bowl up, that she would try this. So she did.  She looked at me and said, "Damn, this is really good."  I said, "See, I told you you'd like it." She drank so much, I was glad she was walking home.

I didn't make any eggnog this year. I did nothing this year. We had a lovely dinner.
I made what Rick refers to as "my bean thingy" for a side. He loves it.  It was a freak accident. Our garden was overrun with green beans and cherry tomatoes.  

One afternoon I threw some EVOO in a pan and threw in some garlic.(lots) I then put in the tomatoes to burst, then threw in the beans. Put a top on it and let 'em steam/simmer on low. Now it sounds boring and simple. But OMG is it flavorful and yummy.  We could both just eat the beans.  

I will leave you with my new theme.
Remember when Janis Ian sang Seventeen back in 1975?
Just changed the lyrics to 70 instead of 17.  
It made me laugh.  I follow this woman on instagram and she is a damn hoot.


24 comments:

Paula C said...

I will have to remember to try that bean recipe. Sounds yummy. As for your Mom's antique lights, there is a market for those. You might want to try eBay.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Good idea. My cranky sister did not want them. Thank you for the idea Paula

Mike said...

" asked if she wanted any of Mom's "antique" bulbs."
This generation doesn't want any of their parents "stuff".

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I see that!

DB Stewart said...

Nutmeg is basically medicine (as is bourbon), lol.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've only had homemade eggnog once but yes, it was delicious! And I love that video -- I laughed WAY too hard at it. Then I went to her YouTube channel and watched a bunch more of her hilarious shorts -- thanks!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Exactly! I don't drink brown liquor but I cook with it and of course eggnog.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh good im thrilled you like her as much as I do!! I found her on Instagram. A sister from another mister. 😄

Cruisin Paul said...

I laughed at this Peg, 70. I wish I was 70. I'm 76 and I nearing 80. Can you believe it, I near 80. Oh well my friend, I'll take any extra year added after my stroke. My wife was told I was dying after the stroke and I was 27 when it happened & now I'm near 80. Thank the Lord.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Good for you Paul!! I understand that.

Blondi Blathers said...

I wish I could still get excited about Christmas; I mean, I still like sparkly things. That should make a difference.
I've seen that gal on Instagram and didn't realize it's Janis Ian! am I blind or is it that I just can't read? Hmph.
-Kate

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I don't care about decorating anymore either. It just represents a lot of work to me, now. I also think it has something to do with me now being religious too. Add that to the fact that I spend a lot of years in the floral industry where I decorated trees and houses for rich people. I see holiday movies with over the top decorations on every surface and it actually makes me sick, to over abundance and consumerism the holiday has turned into.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh im sorry Not Janis Ian!!!! She's singing the Janis Ian song from '75.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hmm, well for whatever reason welcome to the no decorating holidays.

Abby said...

I had pretty bare bones decorations too, mainly because two of our kids were coming over for the day. If not for that, we probably would've been the Scrooge house. So, I get it.
The bean thing sounds yummy. And I'm not typically an eggnog person, but I would have definitely dipped into that punch bowl!
70, here we come?

Sheila said...

Ha ha! I loved that song. That sneeze position looked too familiar.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

The thing with the beans. It was all because we had too much from the garden. When Rick saw all the garlic I put in...hey I'm italian...tee hee. He thought it was too much. Now he raves about this, craves it and asks for more. The hardest part is taking that string/stem off the beans. I mean I don't cook and if I can do this, anyone can! Yes, in 2 months give or take a week I will be 70. Can you freakin' believe that? I'm in denial.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Sheila, yep that sneeze position is all too familiar for most women of a certain age!!

Barbara said...

Suggestion on the Christmas donations - nursing homes. I know I especially enjoy seeing old decorations that were around when I was growing up and a nursing home will have a variety of ages.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, good call!! Thank you!

Julie H said...

Love the song haha. I'm almost 52 and can relate already. Christmas turned into a bit of downer this year. I might not host anything next year.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I need reminded how to get to your posts again. I'm sorry it wasn't what you wanted it to be. I say, go on vacation next year. 😁Run away

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I loved that song, and the new lyrics are spot on!
We did put up a few decorations, but no tree. Ok, there is a tree but it's about 7 inches tall with teeny tiny decorations on it. I found it in the closet, and recalled that I bought it for my youngest when he was still living at home. We won't take them down until Jan 6th (ya know, tradition). Luckily it should take all of 10 to 15 minutes, and then I can put those bulky plastic containers away.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Im going to purge my home come spring. Things I wanted to do since we moved her but Rick had a stroke. Funny how that put a damper on stuff. Lol I have too many of those big Rubbermaid containers about!