Monday, December 1, 2025

Wegmans and Crowds

I made the enormous mistake of going to Wegman's yesterday.
If you are not aware, Wegman's is the best grocery store in the U.S.
Think Whole Foods meets affordable, and throw in Trader Joe's, and then high-quality produce and products at a reasonable price. Well, as reasonable as we have these days under tariffs and the big orange peckerhead.

I had the stupid idea that the grocery store would be slower than normal since everyone is in a food coma or driving/flying home.
Oh, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Traffic getting there was heavy. 
Okay, I'm on the highway, so maybe it's just the Thanksgiving rush home.
Apparently not. All going to Wegmans I swear.

By the time I got a parking space, it was pouring down rain.  I saw that Rick had a baseball cap on the passenger seat, so I grabbed it and walked to the entrance. I was drenched by the time I got inside.  

I grabbed a cart, and a man jumped in front of me and grabbed a cart, making me have to stand there and wait for him or run him over. I seriously contemplated running him over, but I didn't feel like being arrested.

There was no meandering. The aisles, which are so wide, were cramped.  I needed some frozen spinach, so I had to climb. I opened the door to the frozen food and had to step on the ledge because the spinach was on the top shelf.  An employee walked by and said, "Can I help you, ma'am?"  
By this time, I had them in my hand, and I jumped down, smiled, and said, "No, but thank you."  Ooooh, he gave me a look.

Several aisles later, I was attempting to get a couple of tomato pastes on the top shelf and pushed back a bit.  I looked around.  I saw a tall man and asked him if he could reach those for me. He said I can reach them and walked away.
Funny.
I don't think I appreciated it when I was young, and men fell all over me or followed me around a store.  
I am now at an age where I am invisible, and sometimes it sucks.

So just as I put my foot on the bottom shelf, the same damn man came by and said, "Ma'am, please don't climb on that," as he reached for my tomato paste.  
As he does this, I suggest he move those cans left to the front for other shorties so they don't climb.
I got the look. But he did it. 

Damn, is that guy following me?
Then I went to the gluten-free aisle for some soup and bagels.
This time I had to get on the floor.
I got on the floor, reached back for the bagels, and when I got my head out of the shelfing, I realized  - shit, now I have to get up.

So there I am in aisle 27 laughing while on the floor.  
I grabbed the bottom shelf and prayed it would hold me as I used it to help me push myself up. Whew!  It held.  But where the hell was that man now?  
But I do amuse myself.

What should have been a quick trip to Wegman's ended up being a very long time of shopping.  I was finally free, and as I was walking in the rain to my car, I saw a woman just push her cart, and it missed the entire covered shopping cart container.
I mutter some choice words.  Why are people so messy with their carts? 

Yes, some people are paid to go fetch them. 
But you don't need to throw them all about the parking lot for Pete's sake.  
Anyway, after I empty my cart, I walk it back to the little 'hut' for your carts.  I put mine inside the one put in last. I had a smaller cart, and those on the right were all the small ones.  

The other side was a mess. I grabbed the cart that the woman threw, and I put it in the large cart side and straightened them all out.  
I turned around to go to my car, and this gorgeous man was standing there watching me and smiling.   He said, "So you are one of those." 
"So I've been told, I tell him."
He laughed and said, "I have a daughter like you. I didn't bother you, I just let you do what you NEEDED to do."  
He wouldn't stop smiling or perhaps laughing at me. 

I said, "Well, thanks.  Have a great day!  It's crazy in there, you've been warned."
He looks shocked. 
"Really?  I thought it'd be dead today."  
"Well, great minds think alike; I did as well." 

In other great news.
Campbell's Soup has made some soups gluten-free.
I made a casserole last week that Rick likes, and I used a can of Campbell's tomato soup. I just didn't eat any of it. 
But I saw Cream of Chicken and Cream of Mushroom at Wegmans, and I grabbed several.  I will normally make Cream of Mushroom soup from scratch, but seriously, I'm an old broad, I don't wanna. (Did you hear that whine?)

So I'm off to make a casserole like a good 1960s Midwest housewife. 
🤞 hoping this turns out. It's cold, and he wanted comfort food.
It's cold, and I want to be on a sunny, warm beach. 
We are different.

29 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sometimes I have to climb up on grocery store shelves too. But I would never get down on the floor to reach something -- I'd never get up again! There's no product I need THAT badly, lol.

Kathy G said...

WTH is a staple like tomato paste doing on the top shelf?!?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

To annoy me.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

AH,you'd surprise yourself like i did. Where was that guy when you need him?

Cruisin Paul said...

I can no longer go to a grocery. With this walker it's a pain in the ass and then as I reach up I begin to fall and grab my walker. Wow that was about a trouble so now MaryLou and my daughter go. I'm getting so frustrated. I can't even do the easiest thing anymore. F...K sorry about that Peg. Oh well I might as well watch another Christmas movie.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh dear, the dreaded Xmas movie! I'm not ready for those yet. Too soon

Terra said...

You had quite a difficult adventure in Wegman's on that crazy busy day. I am glad you survived to tell the tale. I would like to try Wegman's, we don't have any in my area. Trader Joe's is my favorite store.

Anonymous said...

That guy who refused to help you get the cans from the top shelf seems to be what fellow shoppers are like now. I am glad you ran into the nice guy in the parking lot to help erase the memory of the first one. Also, is it just me, or are grocery stores the worst for having the most awful customers?
Nina

bluzdude said...

I can't believe that douchebag refused to help you. How does one turn down such a simple request to help another?
If I see an old lady or just a smaller person gazing longingly at the top shelf, I always offer to get it for them. It helps them and I feel useful.

I love Wegmans, especially their hot food bar. I was going to a movie matinee last week and was looking for a place near the theater to get lunch first. I wasn't having much luck until I spotted a Wegman's, then I was like, "Score! Hot bar! Problem solved." And then I didn't need dinner.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yeah, he was a douche, but it was also a bit funny. We had a Wegmans in VA with a restaurant, coffee bar, a BAR, always filled with men, and the hot bar etc. Rick wanted to sit and drink while I shopped. I was fine with that but then I said, you can unload the car and then put things away. Then i play hide and seek for weeks looking for the peanut butter. Fair right. 😁

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Nina, its not just you. However, the sommelier serving wine in the Wine "cellar' aisles of Wegmans have far more calm and nicer customers. 😇 Wonder why?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Terra, I think they are only in the east. Based in Rochester NY. But if you see one, stop. 😉

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You seem to be having a good retirement. Movies in the afternoon, eating early. Those old people were on to somethin'

Abby said...

I miss Wegmans and get nostalgic every time you mention it 🥲
except maybe not on a Sunday.
Given a choice, I'd choose beach over soup too.

Mike said...

From Wikipedia... "Wegmans has 111 stores in nine states (New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Virginia, North Carolina, Connecticut, and Delaware) and the District of Columbia."
I don't think they'll becoming to St. Louis anytime soon.

Barbara said...

We dont have Wegmanns. If it saves you money the Republican Governor probably passed a law forbidding them to come to Texas in case some poor Mexican might take advantage.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Good, the lets meet at the beach!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have friends who live live in Cleveland and they drive to Erie Pa to go to wegmans. Even i wouldn't do that

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Not cheap like Aldi's, but not near as expensive as Publix or Harris Teeter and Whole Foods. Come for a visit, we'll go to the coffee shop in there

Paula C said...

We made the same mistake going to the grocery the day after. Ugh! The ladies always ask my husband to get stuff off the upper shelves. Young or old doesn't matter, he is always willing. Being married to me, he's seen me struggle so he understands.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hug him for me!

Colette said...

I moved from New York State to Florida 11 years ago. I have found nothing compares to Wegmans.

bluzdude said...

I love the "BAR" idea. I've always said that women's clothing stores should come with a men's lounge, with easy chairs, magazines, and ESPN on TV, so they can chill while their partners shop. That way, they're not standing there, shifting their weight, grumbling about how long this is going to take, and the women can shop longer.

And to be fair, they could do the reverse at places like Bass Pro Shop.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ooh ive spent way too much time in Bass Pro Shops!! Once as I went to the bar to fetch Rick i heard a guy on his phone. He said, okay lemme finish this beer and I'll see you at check out. For some reason I found that funny!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

😪 once you have one you never want to lose it. Well you have Publix$$$$

Julie H said...

You need one of those grabber things

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have one in my kitchen. I will begin to bring it with me

DB Stewart said...

This feels like one of your classic anecdotes when a handsome stranger appears, ha...seems like further confirmation you are writing romance fiction on the side, lol.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

oh DB that is funny. Especially since I dislike that type of book. But my goodness this man was gorgeous. Sadly he could have been my kid. Now that would take the story in a whole different turn now wouldn't it?. LOL