Monday, December 22, 2025

SHOES

There was an article in the New York Times recently about wearing shoes in the house.  Oooh, people got really excited about his topic. 

I hate taking off my shoes when visiting someone. But it's your home, and I respect that and will do what you ask. This woman hates people to wear shoes in what she calls her pristine home.
She invited us to a holiday party where the attire was to be very formal.  She offers no slippers or booties. 

She says this shoe thing is for not bringing in disgusting things from outside into her home and floors.  Okay.
While at the party she had 2 dogs going in and out of the house. I didn't notice she or her husband cleaning the dogs feet when they came in. So I have to walk around in my bare feet on your dirty floors, and that's okay.
My feet were black by the end of the night (pristine floors?)

They make mops and floor cleaners for a reason. But again, it's her home and her rules, so I obliged.

Now, if I am going somewhere and the invite says no shoes. I bring booties.  I am not taking off my shoes hemmed to my heels, and then dragging my clothes on your dirty floor.  Short people get this.

I have booties in my car just for this reason. If I get to a person's home and I don't know that they require me to take off my shoes, I can run to my car and get the booties.  I've never had anyone mind if I wear booties because I always ask.  Personally, they should offer them if making people do this.

Well, apparently, I am in the minority. I was told that Canadians never wear shoes in the house. Okay, knowing that I will respect their rules and not wear shoes in their house. I will respect anyone's rules and do what they like.
I don't have to agree, but if you are hosting me, I should be that polite and gracious.

You can wear your filthy shoes in my home.  As long as your shoes stay on the floor, I don't care. I wash my floors more than most, so I am okay with it.

So c'mon beat me up.  Do you allow shoes in your home, and if not why? 
Cultural or hygiene or both?  If someone asked if they could keep them on and wear booties over them (like in real estate)  would that bother you?  

34 comments:

Cop Car said...

People who come to my house may note that I am in sock-feet. If they notice, they may ask if I wish them to take off their shoes. "I don't wear shoes because I've never found a pair that was comfortable. You don't need to take yours off unless you wish to." Some do...some don't. I have strategically placed large non-slip rugs at each outside door. They usually do a sufficient job of getting outside detritus off. I do appreciate workers who wear booties in the house. I haven't worn booties since the last time I worked inside the engine duct of an F-106.
I appreciate your attitude ; )

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I was asked to take off my shoes in someone's house recently and I said, "I literally can't walk without my orthopedic shoes on." I got to keep them on but no one else did. If I was socializing more, I'd want to know where you buy those booties because I'd do like you do have have them with me. I also agree with you that people who don't want you to wear shoes should have booties available. Feet get cold and it's not sanitary to walk around barefoot with pets that aren't your own. In theory,

I get why some cultures don't wear shoes in the house and I do think it's a good idea, BUT when it's nationwide you are prepared for it and come prepared. I do have inside shoes and outside shoes but I do that more for comfort that health.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, as a Canadian, I don't expect to wear my outside shoes in anyone's home. I always bring slippers with me when visiting and wear those.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And as for booties worn over shoes, service people who come to my apartment to do maintenance often wear them and that's fine with me.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Debra, I will gladly take off my shoes for you. My husband was a contractor and he always put them. He went in and out to mix chemicals outside. Taking off his shoes was too much so he bought them at Lowe's. He'd take em off to go outside and then put them on as he got inside.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, Rick used them for work and got em at Lowes or Home Depot.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I run around in my socks just cuz its comfortable!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Are there special indoor shoes beside slippers? Is that something im unaware of. Damn, i'm learning a lot here!

Unknown said...

I would not expect anyone to remove their shoes unless they said they had dirty shoes or wanted to remove them.
I do not remove mine because I have super high arches and wonky feet, walking in socks or bare feet is very painful for me.
I have three dirt mats outside my main entrance ,One at the base of 3 steps one at the top of those steps and one outside the door. I have a non-slip rug inside the door. I live rural and they are there mainly for myself. I can dray in dirt without meaning to.

JC

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have mats at the backdoor so Rick leave his shoes there and not bring in wood chips from the work shop.

Barbara said...

I take my shoes off because I walk around the complex and yes, we have plenty of dogs and other debris. I don't ask anyone else to but people who see my shoes by the door and bare feet sometimes do it automatically. I love the booties idea. I hate having to take my shoes off at the airport. Think of all the yucky bare feet that have walked the same steps. I'm going to invest in some booties now.

Mike said...

If this were a third world country where people walk in the dirt all day I could see it. I don't know of anyone that takes shoes off. I put shoes on in the morning and never take them off. I'll change shoes to cut the grass but that's about it.

Grace said...

It has never occured to me to ask people to take off their shoes. Nor have I ever been asked to remove my shoes. As a matter of fact it annoys me when people remove their shoes when they enter my home. Of course snow/rain boots need to be removed and I expect people are wearing socks with those. I wear socks in my apartment because I don't like going barefoot. I have indoor/outdoor slippers for when I go to the laundry room or down to the lobby.

If someone requires no shoes then they MUST supply some kind of alternate foot covering if their visitor is not wearing socks. Sheesh...

Kathy G said...

Ever since I had a bout of plantar fasciitis I wear dedicated footwear in my house-Birkenstock sandals when it's warm and Birkenstock slippers when it's cold. My California kids ask visitors to take their shoes off, but understand that I will be slipping my house shoes on.

Paula C said...

We don't wear shoes in our home. I guess it's due to the kind of work we've done over the years. (My husband in construction) nothing worse than stepping on a rock or steel chips. We do wear slippers as my feet get cold. But if we were hosting a holiday party, shoes are fine.

Ami said...

We bought this house because the carpet was already dirt colored.

Mike said...

HAhahaha!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Great! I will bring the wine and i will be right over!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I agree with Mike. 😁

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh plantar fascists is fun. Glad you found some shoes that help you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Agreed Grace!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I get all of that and agree.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

They don't make you take your shoes off at the airport anymore. Probably cuz trump cant bend over. 😇

Anonymous said...

Like others who commented, I literally cannot walk without specific types of shoes. I would probably win America's Funniest Videos if someone taped me attempting to walk down stairs barefoot. I am also in the Birkenstocks as house slippers camp. I'm glad to hear that some hosts acknowledge their guests' dilemma and allow their shoes into the house! Yay humanity!
Nina

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hi Nina, ive never tried Birkenstocks. I don't like the look of them but for indoor slippers id give em a try. Walking down steps is difficult for me because im clumsy! I used to live in a 3 level home and the steps were too much!

Sheila said...

My son and his wife put in white carpet so they're a shoes off household now. If I remember, I bring my slippers, but if I don't, I stay in their entryway. Makes for a short visit unless they have booties. Like another commenter, I have plantar fasciitis and just can't go without shoes and my inserts. I hate Airbnbs that don't post about being shoes off, and you only find out when you arrive. I generally ignore it. But I am careful about wiping my feet before entering.

Abby said...

As a family, we always take our shoes off in the house. I was raised by a Filipino mom, and that is the way. But I don't ask visitors to remove their shoes, that would be weird. Plus, we have dogs. I have a good mop.
Good for you for having booties at the ready. I can't remember being asked to remove shoes recently, but if I go to someone's home, and there's a snowstorm or something making my shoes wet/filthy, I'll pad around in my socks self consciously.

Julie H said...

Since my husband refuses to take his shoes off at the door I would never expect anyone else to. I personally hate wearing shoes so mine come off quick. I might also bring dirt in from outside with my bare feet lol

Stubblejumpers Cafe said...

My dad's feet had high arches, as do mine, and when he was suffering foot pain a podiatrist told him to wear shoes when indoors. He never had pain again. I now usually wear good shoes in the house and notice when I dont that my lower back will ache, esp when working in the kitchen.

I take my outside shoes off at the door. There is no way of knowing what I've walked over before I came home that I dont want to track through the house. Also the less housework I have to do, the better. But occasionally someone -- usually an older generation in my family -- will wear shoes in. I dont make an issue of it. But I take my shoes off at other people's doors. And wear socks.
-Kate

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ooh white carpet. I have all wood floors makes it easier to keep clean for certain!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I understand the culture of it as in Hawaii. In winter when I lived up north of course your wet, snowy, salty shoes were left at the front door. But good weather we kept them on. If Rick is in the workshop, he leaves them at the door. Merry Christmas!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Lol. I take mine off when I come home but only because if I could go bare feet all the time I would. I only wear shoes for height.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Huh, I get lower back pain from standing at the kitchen island and chopping and dining for any length of time. I may try shoes.Merry Christmas!

Cop Car said...

Trump is old enough for exemption from shoe removal requirements, anyway, but I like Peg's thinking.