Thursday, December 18, 2025

NyQuil

 I took Nyquil Wednesday night because I knew this was going to be a night I'd never sleep. I'm tired of not sleeping for 24 hrs. 
So Nyquil was my drug of choice. If I had ice cream, I told Rick that Nyquil with a scoop of ice cream could kill 2 addictions at once. A Nyquil float. :-)
He just shakes his head at me. But c'mon, good idea here.

It did the trick. I slept for 12 hrs. Boy oh boy, did that feel good. I mean, really good. Rick said I never moved; each time he'd look in on me, I was in the same spot. 
I had to pee, or I'd never have gotten up. When I saw the time I was shocked!  
I grabbed clothes and ran out to the living room.  

Why did you let me sleep like that? It's almost time for your 3 o'clock nap?
He laughed and said, "What is the emergency? Why do you have to be out of bed?  I did not burn the house down. I did leave the lights on in the hall bath, but I caught it. So all is good, Margaret."  

I lost my whole Thursday, but boy, do I feel good.

A couple of topics today - 

**Did you see where the transportation secretary wants a dress code for airline travel?
Everyone has their panties in a twist about this.
I agree with him, which is odd. I'm not saying you have to fly like a non-rev had to in the 80s and 90s. I'm saying you should not wear your PJs, slippers, half shirts, and shorts that I can see your ass in, or if pubic hair were a thing, I'd see that too.

Yes, I grew up flying in dress clothes. To fly free while working for an airline, I had to be in business clothes. To me, while it sucked, that was a small sacrifice to fly first class and free to any destination in the world. Rick asked once if they wouldn't let me board. Hell yeah, they wouldn't.  It was strictly enforced. A ticket or gate agent or for that matter, a flight crew member could remove you from the flight. I've seen it done.

I went to Jamaica in a skirt, blazer, blouse, nylons, heels and stood in line for customs.  I was sweating!!  Rick said, "no one else is dressed like this."  
My retort was, "Ask them how much they paid to get here."  
To me a small sacrifice to fly free and in first.

So no need for nylons. And yes, that was a big thing in the 80s and early 90s. Must have nylons on.  Weird eh? Thank goodness that's over.

If I could go to the West Coast to visit family, I'd wear a clown suit if it were free.
But I digress. I don't know how they can implement such a thing, but I wish they would and could. I also wish people had pride in their appearance enough to dress for the event.  

Do you know I was upgraded because of my clothing?  I no longer fly free. I no longer have friends at the ticket counter of any airline.  I just checked in at the gate.  She asked if I was traveling alone. I said yes. Then I wondered why.  She smiled and said, "Just wanted to be sure." I wanted to ask, "Sure of what exactly?" 
But I let it go.  When they got to announcing they were about to board, they called my name to come to the counter. I did. The woman handed me a new boarding pass and said, "We've upgraded you."  I was thrilled and thanked her again and again. It was a 4 hr flight, and damn it would be nice to be in a big ole seat where I could fold my legs and sit indian style. 

I thanked her again and headed for the gateway. As I was walking, the pilot who was talking to the women at the gate counter came up to me and said "know why you were upgraded?"  
I told him I wasn't sure I wanted to know, but I was thrilled.
He said, "Have you ever worked for an airline?"
I said I sure did, and an airline's GDS. He said I figured.
Is it written somewhere on me?
He was so nice, he said, "No, you are dressed well, and we don't see that anymore. The gate agent pointed you out and said, I wish more would do that. So she upgraded you when an opening became available.
WOW was my response. 

Now, look, I was not in business clothes. To me, just regular street clothes.
I was wearing a pair of black jeans, a tank top, a black and white tweed blazer, boots, and jewelry. Hardly dressed up. But my hoo-aah wasn't showing, or were my boobs. (ok, a bit of cleavage with a tank top by c'mon I have cleavage if wearing a turtle neck)

So dressing well does help. Don't think for a minute they don't notice every inch of you!

**To Ro, who used to blog. She lives near me so I get to see her a bit.
She mailed me the funniest Thanksgiving card.  In it was an article about wearing underwear to bed. She told me this was a great blog topic. Really?

She makes me laugh. I read the article. So I will make this a blog question.
Do you think you should wear underwear to sleep in?
Yes
No
Sometimes.

I'm in the do whatever the hell you want to do.
I prefer sleeping in my birthday suit. I don't get dressing up for bed. But everyone has their own thing. I don't care what you do. Sleep in a tux for all I care.

Do you wear underwear to bed?
Someone stated in the article - What if your house is on fire and you're not wearing any panties. I laughed at this one. Yee-haw said the firemen. 

18 comments:

Kathy G said...

I wear nice jeans and shirt when I fly, but nothing that would get me noticed or upgraded.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I think because there were a great many in short shorts and half tops where the one womans boobs showed from the bottom.. Not like I was dressed well. I just had my bits covered. That's all they want.

Julie H said...

I wear the same thing I wear everywhere else when I fly lol. Jeans, t shirt and probably a cardigan :) I can't sleep without panties and a shirt of some sort. I've tried it and I don't care for it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nyquil float, hahahahaha! I've never, ever been upgraded on a flight. Now I know why. Too much hoo-hah showing! Actually, my hoo-hah is always modestly covered, even in bed where I ALWAYS wear underwear. I'm not some kind of ANIMAL.

Ami said...

Just a gigantic tie dyed t shirt. Comes to my knees. Nothing else. I also run around in it all day long if I don't have to go anywhere.

I can't take Nyquil anymore, I get a hangover.

I wouldn't mind dressing decently to fly until that dipshit suggested it, now if I have to fly I'm gonna wear tight clothes that my fat rolls hang over and not wash my armpits for a week or so beforehand.

Not really, but I don't want any of those fucksticks telling me what to do.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I wish NuQuil worked for me. All it does is make me dizzy.

I haven't flown in years and don't plan to but if I did I'd wear the most comfortable clothes I could, probably sweats.

As for wearing panties to bed you bet I do. The chances of an ambulance coming for me some night is enough to get me to do it. A woman in our building slept naked and she had a hissy-fit because she wouldn't let them take her to the hospital until her daughter got there to help her put some clothes on. Her vanity could have killed her.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Sounds good to me. Hmm...I tried wearing a night shirt the other night because I was so cold. Nope. I move right, it moves left. I ripped it off me in my sleep. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh too funny! I'm an animal. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I don't think tight shirts constituted not dressing well. That is not what he meant at all.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It doesn't knock you out? Wow Jean! Hey I don't care if an ambulance is coming and I'm not in my clothes so be it. They have seen worse and better and I don't give a flip. Besides last time taken in an ambulance I only had on a top and panties. They put clothes on me in the ambulance. Paper pants so I wouldn't worry about that. All were ripped off anyway to exam me naked.

Paula C said...

Nothing beats a solid evening of sleep. As I have aged I never sleep through the nights. On the absolute rare times I have I feel like a million dollars. I am with you on folks taking pride in their appearance. Slippers & jammies are not proper attire outside the home.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You are correct, nothing beats a good solid sleep! So rare for me. My mind doesn't shut off.

Cop Car said...

1. If I read correctly, at least you did not get pinched to see if you were wearing a girdle as happened (I am told) in the 1960s and earlier.
2. When I did most of my commercial flying, I wore a business suit & heels. That never got me an upgrade. It did get me a discount on a silver chain at a kiosk in a West Coast airport kiosk. It turned out that in my navy suit, I was mistaken as crew.
3. I did get upgraded to 1st class a couple of times. The first time, there were about 6 passengers on the wide-body flight and the pilot wanted to make time with me (I got to tour the office but declined staying with the crew at their hotel). The 2nd time, the agent upgraded because I had volunteered to cede my assigned seat so that a family could sit together. She had just dealt with a blow-hard who had thrown a fit over the very idea of ceding his seat.

DB Stewart said...

We traveled to Scotland in 2017 and that last fight (from Halifax) felt like FOREVER, but sitting near us was an elderly Scottish couple (overheard their accents) and she was in a skirt with her hair tied up fancy and I just kept thinking...if she can do this, so can I.
Yee-haw said the firemen, lol. Nudity is no reason to clutch your pearls, imo...er, this is not intended to be a metaphor for anything, ha.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Its amazing how being kind will get something you never asked for, like an upgrade

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

And you did it!! (Along with the older woman) Scotland is somewhere id love to but never got to.

Abby said...

"... or if pubic hair were a thing," - HA! Ain't that the truth.
I'm in favor, but like you, I think it will be difficult to enforce. People will probably sue to be able to wear their "emotional support clothes" 🙄
That's a great story. Interesting to know the gate agents are watching for such things. I remember my son flew to visit friends while he was in college. He and his buddy decided to wear suits for the flight for whatever reason. They were treated like royalty!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, it's true. I worked the ticket counter at the beginning of my career. The nicest people got a treat. The one yelling at me because he can't take his bat on the plane didn't get any favors from me. Seriously this minor league ball player wanted to carry his bat on the plane. When we told him it was considered a weapon he laughed. Then a pilot showed up and he finally listened. Aren't people fun?