Friday, May 30, 2025

Short People Got No Reason...🎵

My feet have never touched the floor when sitting on anything.

I once had an interview that was extremely important to me. I met the woman at the Mayflower Hotel in DC. She and her team were in DC for a 3-day conference, so it was arranged that, since I lived there to meet there for the final interview instead of flying to Boston.

We sat in this big lounge area. 
We were in an area that had tables with very high-backed upholstered chairs.
Our table was a bit to the side of us, so neither of us had our legs under the table.

I sat on the edge of my seat with my legs crossed at my ankles. Hands in my lap. She kept telling me to relax and sit back. 
I said once, "Oh, I'm comfortable, thank you." 
The 2nd time she told me to sit back, I asked, "Is it bothering you if I don't sit back?"  
She told me it was making her uncomfortable.
So I said, "Okay, then I'll move back, but now you can't laugh."  
I smiled, and she looked at me like I was so not getting this job.

I sat all the way back in this big chair.  
My feet were so far off the ground, and my knees were above the seat cushion. Thank God I was wearing slacks. I looked like Edith Ann.
I felt ridiculous and embarrassed.  

I said, "I don't appear as authoritative now, do I?"
She laughed, apologized, and laughed some more. 
I went back to sitting as I was originally and said, "So you can't not give me this position after I humiliated myself."
She said, "You're right."
I got the job. But if I had been 5'8", I would have too.

You get it, short people can't reach anything except the baseboards.

When I was a kid, my father, the plumber, came home with this new toilet, and it hung from the wall. It had no pedestal. 
It was the same ghastly green color as our tub and sink. 
He probably got it for free. 
Or it "fell" off a truck, and some guy gave it to him. uh huh.
Anyhoo, being that it wasn't on the floor, I had to have a stool to get up and down.
When I got older, I did not need a stool to get on or off; I could jump. 
However, dangling legs and feet when sitting to do your business isn't fun either.

Then, as I got older, I realized that even on a commode that was a normal pedestal toilet, when I sit on it, my feet do not sit flat on the floor. My toes touch the floor. 

So imagine my surprise when we got to our hotel last week and I rushed in from the car to use the bathroom.  I went to sit down, and I turned around because it wasn't there.  The toilet was so low to the ground. Was this a grade school toilet?
But then I sat, and oh my goodness, my whole foot was flat on the floor.  
I came out of the bathroom and said, "My God, that is what you people have had all your life?" Rick thinks it's funny. What the hell does he know he's over 6'
That week, I only used that bathroom. 
Or as my Big Guy called it, 'the baby potty'

I don't care what he called it; my feet touched the floor for the first time in my life that I can even remember.  
I had blocks on my tricycle for pete's sake, just so I could reach the pedals.

You all just don't understand when you're a normal height. I'd give anything to be 5'10" and I'd wear heels! 
My next life - tall, thin, and blonde.  I just know those bitches get everything!

19 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A fun post to read but not perhaps to live through!

bluzdude said...

My 5'1" wife would relate.

We live in the house in which she grew up and the kitchen has very high cabinets, plus various bowls and containers on top of that. My job now is to pull that stuff down when directed, although if I don't get to it quickly enough, she'll monkey her way up onto the counter to get it herself, like she had to do as a kid. (or adult before I came around).

I keep telling her that there's going to be a point when she can't do that anymore. She just says, "don't tell short women what they can't do."

Abby said...

Five stars on Trip Advisor for the toilet height alone!
My mom was a short woman at about 4'11". She loved to wear heels, but I never did. Now I get it!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Rick took a photo of me while standing on countertop to reach something because Rick was in bathroom. I got it but jumping down was getting a bit more difficult

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You are correct

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I never owned flat shoes until my first spinal surgery. My PT was a lot of walking. After walking, back into heels. The 70s were great for platform shoes. Lol

Rebecca Jo said...

I'm 5'9 - well, now 5'8.5 due to good ole gravity - but I've never been mad at my height. I've never been a fan of heels though just because I cant walk in them LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Rebecca, wanna trade? 5'8,5'9, I will take either.You don't have to wear heels, show off!😂

Kathy G said...

The average woman is 5 feet, 3.5 inches, and I have a couple of inches on top of that. Sometimes it's still not enough.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Buying pants would be easier at your height. Last year I bought a pair of Capri pants so they were full length pants for me.

Mike said...

Actually, your supposed to have your knees above your hips when sitting on the toilet. It's better for evacuation. They make stools just for that. On Amazon look up "toilet stools for pooping".

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It's called a squaty potty

Julie H said...

I'm 5'5" and my feet don't go flat on our toilet in our house. It's rather annoying so I know what you mean.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wow. 5'5" surprises me. Oh, not that you are 5'5" but you don't touch either. Jules, let's go have margaritas and whine together🤪

Barbara said...

So funny. I'm short but at 5'3" a giant compared to you. Maybe its time you buy yourself that toilet of your dreams. Be a two toilet family.

Julie H said...

ok lets go!

Cop Car said...

Being short can be a challenge, so my husband's mother and sister (under 5' tall, each) taught me. OTOH: I am average height for a woman of my generation (5' 5" at age 87), but I was surprised to learn how much easier it was to use my husband's toilet (he was 5' 11.5") after he died. (I had gotten into the habit of "falling" that last couple of inches onto the toilet seat.) I had had a taller toilet installed for husband some years ago at the suggestion of a plumber. Who knew? We need adjustable height toilets!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well we do have 2 commodes, however, neither are 'baby potties'. In all honesty I'd rather find pants and skirts i don't have to hem! Petites sometimes are 28 inches. Too long.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah, what a fabulous idea!! We may have to go on shark Tank. 🤔