Since moving and retiring, things have changed.
1. I could never sleep past 6am - who knew I could?
2. I could never imagine taking a nap at 3pm
3. I never knew I could be this lazy
4. I hurt everywhere. :-)
5. Since I had worked with Rick, I thought I could handle him underfoot 24/7. HA!
In all seriousness, Rick and I used to laugh daily. Even when we worked together. Most often, we were laughing at the customers, but we laughed nonetheless. Once a week, we'd have a good ole belly laugh that would leave us speechless.
Then it all fell apart. Moved in late October. Izzy went over the rainbow bridge in February. I was told I had a mass on my retina. 6 months of chemo and high steroids. fun, fun, fun.
Then, a fistula as well as the need to remove the sigmoid colon. Then a stroke. Then, spinal surgery and injections. Yes, it's been a laugh a minute since we moved here.
Rick was saying how the laughter in our home has been quiet. He misses it. I do too, but it's not like I was feeling like making him laugh when I was in so much pain. And nothing he could say most days did anything more than make me crack a smile.
Then it happened.
We got up on Thursday and as Rick tends to do, he was looking at his cell as he made coffee.
He showed me this video and said, "If you can do this, you don't have dementia."
So there we are in the early morning over the coffee machine, trying this dumb thing.
We were laughing.
Rick says, "Apparently, I have dementia," and that for some reason that made me howl. Then he looked at me trying this while laughing, and Rick says, "Oh my, you are past dementia, is there a name for that? Just crazy?"
Now, none of this is funny to read, but if you were trying this and began to laugh, it was just something we couldn't stop. It was a full-on belly laugh like the days before moving here. When we caught our breath, Rick said, "Well if we have it, we won't remember we do." To which I added, "have what?"
OMG, there was laughter, some snorting and someone peed a little bit.
It felt good to be getting back to normal.
Today we have a date for popcorn, cocktails and a baseball game.
We will be meeting in the living room at 1pm.
It's so good to be feeling good again.
I tried to embed this video with no great luck.
If you have Instagram, click on the blue link and you will see the exercise you should try to see if you too have dementia.
16 comments:
I think a monkey could have done the hand test faster than me. Wait, what test?
That is the best news that I have heard for a while. Right on!
Exactly Barbara!!
Which? You don't have dementia or I'm doing so well?🤣
Well damn! I don't have Instagram, and searching the internet for "exercise you should try to see if you have dementia" didn't give me the information, so I can''t figure out what the exercise is.
The laughter in your house. We’ll never know if I am struck down by dementia due to lack of difference.
I'm sorry I looked on you tube and the drs website but to no avail. Sorry.
Although I could (mostly) do the hand trick, I suspect your renewed happiness is just as helpful with dementia (as is blogging).
That was fun. No dementia, and I'll pass this exercise along to my neighbors. Since so many are unable to access the exercise, maybe you can take a video of you two doing the exercise, post it and we can all laugh with you.
Ha, funny Boots. Glad you could do it!
Wonderful! May there be much, MUCH more laughter in your life again!
Life has good & bad my friend.We together have grown for years and we are still here, well we can still laugh. After 75 years I'm still here after my stroke, and all the bull shit after the stoke and now this injury about burning my hand & leg, I stuggle a bit but I go on. You will also Peg. We are STRONG.
Cruisin Paul
I agree... everything is OK as long as you laugh together.
Living in pain takes a a real bite out of that, so I'm glad you got it back!
Tony, me too! THX
It is fantastic to hear how well you're doing both physically & emotionally. Nothing beats a good long laughing session.
Anon, thank you, it feels damn good too. 😁
Post a Comment