I think you all know when I'm not around I'm having a difficult time.
Yesterday and today are pretty darn good so I am attempting to move about the world and do what I can.
While being in a prone position I saw a bit of TV.
Granted can't always focus but enough to notice a few things.
I watch 2 shows that are not American. They are Irish and British.
I know it is said they speak English.
But, let's face it, there is a big difference between English and American.
I learn a lot, sort of like Rosetta Stone for TV dummies.
I must use the closed captions as well.
I love the show Bad Sisters. I learned the word Gee means vagina.
Who knew? I heard the line spoken and didn't get it, so I just shrugged and continued with the show. Then I saw the lead actress and writer of the show, Sharon Horgan, who is marvelous, on the Stephen Colbert show.
She explained some of the Irish words in the show and what they meant. Oh my goodness. And they toss around the C word like it's just a fun word like balloon. It makes me laugh.
Then there is the British Baking Show. Ooh, I love this show a great deal.
But half the time I have no idea what they are baking by the word used until I see it. I wish there were translation subtitles. Then I see the dessert and go, Oh that's just cream puffs. Rick asked, 'Why do they say sponge, that sounds so unappetizing'
I explained it was not a kitchen sponge, it was cake. They say, sponge when they mean the cake itself. He shook his head and left the room.
So who says I'm not doing anything? I got myself some TV learnin'.
Similar to book learnin' but for dummies.
So many of you mentioned what would happen if I had said on my mental assessment that I was not happily married. I guess they'd let me die.
No, . seriously I think it may have been about my care after surgery. They kept asking me about my support system. It's Rick and sadly only Rick. So maybe they thought he'd off me while defenseless if unhappily married. Who the hell knows?!
I have not watched the news since November 5th.
Gee, is anything new going on?
🤣🤣
18 comments:
"I have not watched the news since November 5th. Is anything new going on?" If only!
Sadly, there are medical issues that require at home support for the patient to do well. (Think you supporting Rick in the months following his stroke). If the at home support is not there then the success rate isn't as good and the insurance companies are less likely to approve certain things. It may not sound fair but it's a reality that can't be ignored either. They also ask because sometimes they can order home aids to help, if you have good insurance.
I love the Great British Baking Show and have watched every season! But yes, the accents and terminology can be hard to understand. I watch the show on a streaming service so I can put the subtitles on.
I learned about Gee on the Colbert show.
Jean, I'm sure this is why.
Debra, subtitles are great if you can't understand. My issue is hearing the word perfectly but not understanding what that word means.
Mike, I learned a lot that night on Colbert.😄
Nothing good since Nov 5th, stay in your bubble where it is safe and semi-sane.
I knew about them tossing the "C" word, the first time I was in England and heard it I about choked but then it was explained to me. I thought it was hilarious that they used the C word but I could not refer to my waist belt as a fanny pack (remember those?) because fanny pack was considered super offensive.
JC
Yes, my boss from Ireland said that fanny means vagina. Ww went to Vegas for a conference and someone on out team said they needed a fanny pack and Bruce laughed and cringed!
I'm happy that you're feeling up to posting. The c word is tossed around quite regularly in GB and Australia, not so shocking there. I confess to laughing at the YouTube video of Kevin the sheep where the Scottish guy calls the sheep the c word. You should look it up if you're wanting a laugh.
One of my coworkers is taking care of his wife at home fresh off surgery. Good thing they're happily married.
"just a fun word like balloon" - ha! I also enjoy British and Irish shows, but the way they throw the c-word around (while we can't even type it) is always a bit shocking.
Here's Kevin. And Baaaa-bra. I laugh every time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuwprXAaSv0
I've watched the British Baking show some, they can be funny!
Hello Peggy, I haven't watched the news since the 5th either :) I am a Brit having lived in the U.S. for 49 years. Yes we speak the same language and not speak the same language. It's been a fun 49 years for me. I remember answering the phone to several magazine people when I first arrived here, saying yes at the wrong time and ending up with dozens of magazines flowing through the door, lol! Now when I go back to my old home I have to tune my ear back in but it doesn't take me long, like riding a bike. I have relatives in Ireland and Germany also. Words are just words, there is no word jail and yes it makes me laugh too. Expressions and word meanings can be different and I remember stopping everyone in their tracks at the first dinner with my husband's family. My husband thought it was hilarious as he had spent two years on an exchange tour with the royal navy and that's how we met. Anyhow, enjoyed your blog very much and I look forward to coming back. And before this turns into an even more introductory epistle, I will give you a break and just say enjoyed being here. Have a great wee!
Forgot to add my url: https://anenglishgirlrambles2016.blogspot.com
Oh good grief, that was supposed to be 'have a great week!!!!' not the other. I lost my glasses and that's the excuse I am staying with.
Ha ha! Wee has a few different meanings. I find shagging better than f*ing, but rooting, the equivalent Australian word, is kinda gross.
Hey Welcome! I find it so interesting and fun and sometimes damn funny. All English but variations :-)
Post a Comment